Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM

592 posts, read 802,668 times

Advertisements

I had it 115-113 Mayweather. Floyd has been saying that he planned to fight maidana toe to toe and box less. That's what he did and the result was an amazing fight! It's also impressive that he did this with an opponent who had an 18 pound weight advantage.

However, I think meeks should've been tougher on both fighters. Floyd held a lot and Maidana head butted, threw nut shots, Even tried to knee him, rabbit punches, wrestling, etc. I think Floyd planned to fight like that, but also underestimated Maidana. Maidana was very busy and did what he needed to do to make it a fight. However, he only landed 26% of his punches, while Floyd landed 54%. The shots Floyd landed were also cleaner. I think this fight makes the pac-Mayweather fight more possible and more intriguing since Floyd showed his age a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM

119 posts, read 172,780 times
damn, can't believe Floyd lost the fight, hope he wins next time, he isn't the same

Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 PM

326 posts, read 529,322 times
Honeslty, this is how Canelo should have fought last September. When you get in he ring with the best pure boxer of our generation, it's going to be an uphill battle trying to win on points.

I hope Canelo gets another chance at Mayweather maybe early 2015. Perfect world, if Canelo and Cotto both win this Summer, that sets them up for a huge fight in Sept-Nov timeframe. After that, winner takes on Mayweather in a huge money rematch.

Personally, I have Canelo winning big against Lara in July. I think it could be a tougher fight for Cotto against a slick combo puncher/lefty like Martinez.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:17 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
I scored it 117-113 in favor of Maidana, with two rounds being a tie. Round 6 could have gone either way, I also scored round 10 as an even round but I still think Maidana had a slight edge if I was forced to award round 10 to one of them. I had Maidana winning rounds 1,2,4,5,8,11,12. Floyd winning rounds 3,7,9. Rounds 6 and 10 even.

Maidana was the effective aggressor and dictated the pace, tempo, and action. He demonstrated superior ring generalship. He threw over twice as many punches as Floyd. He also walked right through Mayweather's cleanest punches. Floyd continually backed up, ran, clinched and complained to Tony Weeks. Every round he was looking for help from the ref. He got that help in rounds 10, 11, 12 when Weeks would break them apart while Maidana was clearly working Floyd against the ropes and no one was holding. Even Bernstein pointed this out in rounds 10 and 11.

Floyd had a few good rounds where he landed cleaner punches and demonstrated superior footwork. He would have done better to stay off the ropes, but I think that is where age is catching up a little. The first thing a fighter does when their legs get tired is rest on the ropes. Credit also needs to go to Maidana for finding a way to force Floyd to the ropes as well. But, he was right in front of Floyd the entire fight and most of Floyd's hooks were slappy with very little pop behind them. Floyd's straight right hand is one of the most accurate in boxing, but he couldn't stop Maidana from coming forward.

Each fighter got away with dirty tactics; Maidana with low blows, rabbit punches and at one point what appeared to be a knee. Floyd with excessive clinching, hitting after the bell, and forearms to the throat and face. I like Weeks as a ref, and while I like that he let them if and didn't take points from just one, he wasn't consistent and often warned Maidana but not Floyd. Last three rounds I felt he was giving Floyd an unfair advantage by pulling Maidana away while he was working Floyd on the ropes. Not that Floyd was in trouble, but it prevented Maidana from scoring and gaining momentum.

Some observations on each fighter:

Maidana needs to work more on conditioning so he doesn't get tired after the high punch output. Packing on 17 pounds the day after weigh-in tells me a fighter isn't in prime condition for that weight class. He had to dehydrate himself by 17 pounds in order to make weight. He would be better off closer to his fighting weight. The most a fighter should dry out is about 10 pounds, after that you risk loss of stamina. Even though I felt he an the fight, he could have finished even stronger if he had a little more in the tank during the last three rounds.

Floyd must throw more than 35 punches per round against aggressive fighters. He abondoned the uppercut which I think was there all night. He was visibly rattled from the cut in round 4 and distracted. After the round he looked scared and confused. Opponents have to take Floyd out of his comfort zone and Castillo, DeLaHoya and Maidana did just that, unfortunately judges saw it differently when it went to the scorecards.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:32 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,088 times
The replay is on Showtime right now.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 AM

326 posts, read 529,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub View Post
I finally saw the fight. I saw Maidana winning 7 rounds to 5. Many of the FM rounds were close pick 'ems while Maidana were clearly his rounds. Watching the fight and knowing the outcome at the same time, forced me to find opportunity for FM as the winner but I flat out did not see him as the winner. If I would have watched the fight live, I would have most likely viewed the fight as a blowout.
Just rewatched it. I think it was even closer than I originally had it. I think a draw would have been appropriate.

It's tough because there were so many pick-em' rounds that I think the judges would have given the champ the benefit of the doubt. Chino got kind of tired towards the middle of the fight and probably lost like 2-3 of the rounds by getting outhussled by Floyd. That was enough to even it up.

The early and later rds were all Chino imo. Towards the end of the fight, Weeks really threw those rounds to Floyd by seperating the fighters even when they had a free hand. Floyd would clinch and make Chino have to reset.

Either way, I think the fans and Chino deserve a rematch.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM

491 posts, read 1,652,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I scored it 117-113 in favor of Maidana, with two rounds being a tie. Round 6 could have gone either way, I also scored round 10 as an even round but I still think Maidana had a slight edge if I was forced to award round 10 to one of them. I had Maidana winning rounds 1,2,4,5,8,11,12. Floyd winning rounds 3,7,9. Rounds 6 and 10 even.

Maidana was the effective aggressor and dictated the pace, tempo, and action. He demonstrated superior ring generalship. He threw over twice as many punches as Floyd. He also walked right through Mayweather's cleanest punches. Floyd continually backed up, ran, clinched and complained to Tony Weeks. Every round he was looking for help from the ref. He got that help in rounds 10, 11, 12 when Weeks would break them apart while Maidana was clearly working Floyd against the ropes and no one was holding. Even Bernstein pointed this out in rounds 10 and 11.
Before I saw the fight, I thought Floyd would teach Maidana a boxing clinic. I thought in order to win, Maidana would try to walk him down and disrespect Floyd's punching power and keep moving forward and make the fight ugly. I couldn't believe it was actually happening, he kept walking down Floyd and made Floyd fight in the ropes. I couldn't believe it.

Maidana was clearly the aggressor and outworked Floyd. The amount of punches he threw were ridiculous, 858, twice as much as Floyd. Floyd was more accurate.
I had the first 5 rounds and rounds 8,12 to Maidana.
Rounds 6,7,9,10,11 were to Floyd but round 11 Maidana almost stole the round in the last 30 sec. and can go either way, maybe even. I had it 7 rounds to Maidana and 5 rounds to Floyd.

You can see fear in Floyd in this fight, fear as in he will lose the fight. He looked frustrated and had no answer for the unorthodox Maidana. The rounds were very close and could go either way.
Al Berstein and Malignaggi both had it 115-114 for Floyd and both said the fight was that close and could've gone either way.
I think another poster said this already, the Legend of Floyd won this fight, specially based on the two judges score card. Malinaggi said, it was a great fight, too bad 2 judges missed a great fight, lol.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:42 PM

I don't know which fight you guys were watching..... I just watched the fight again saw a close fight that Floyd clearly won 7-5, possibly 8-4. Maidana's camp only gameplan was to fight dirty...There was never any strategy! This is further evidence that the gloves they were trying to use were not acceptable. Maidana was very active and did what he had to do to make it close, but he threw a lot of wild BS. Example of the kind of shots Chino landed: Maidana landed a huge elbow @9:19... THAT'S NOT BOXING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LifRUGsf_0

I'm willing to bet the rematch won't be close at all.

Last edited by Time2Improve; 05-11-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 02:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAxKZn2hj1U

Ariza (Chino's camp) talks about the fight..

Old 05-11-2014, 04:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
I don't know which fight you guys were watching..... I just watched the fight again saw a close fight that Floyd clearly won 7-5, possibly 8-4. Maidana's camp only gameplan was to fight dirty...There was never any strategy! This is further evidence that the gloves they were trying to use were not acceptable. Maidana was very active and did what he had to do to make it close, but he threw a lot of wild BS. Example of the kind of shots Chino landed: Maidana landed a huge elbow @9:19... THAT'S NOT BOXING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LifRUGsf_0

I'm willing to bet the rematch won't be close at all.
First of all, these were the same gloves Maidana has used in several of his other fights previously approved in Las Vegas. For another, an Everlast rep stated that Maidana's blue gloves are the same exact model as the red ones that were approved for him to fight with. This was just more of Floyd's cowardly games, looking to get every edge possible.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LgG-DPb9yXw

As for dirty tactics, Floyd does plenty of his own in fights, shoving his forearms and elbows into opponents faces, hitting after the bell, constant clinching when pressured. He then had the nerve to cry to the ref every round.

As to strategy, did you really think there was going to be one? Like I said from the start, he is a B rate brawler who slugs and mugs his way forward and he exposed Floyd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing