U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,477,106 times

Advertisements

What's up with the excessive holding from Floyd? Don't they take away points for that? Yes maidana was throwing overhand righst to the back of the head in the first 2-3 rounds, but they he stopped leading with those punches and just wanted to swarm him, but Floyd kept holding....all fight. Isnt that a sign of weakness? Its a good strategy to go forward, throw a quick combo, and then hold like Amir Khan did against Collazo. But floyd was going backwards and then holding on the ropes all 12 rounds. I didnt see any spectacular performance from Floyd but yes he won, it was closer than the scorecards though. I dont think he is past his prime, i did Maidana put really good pressure on him, then you have the whole thing with the girlfriend thing.

A thought just came into my head. What if Floyd does the same thing like what he did with Jose Luis Castillo? Where he gives the rematch? This time he will do the same thing and will easily win. An easy win for him. Heck Maybe he did this on purpose so that he can fight the flat footed Maidana againg and ear another 30+ million plus another victory. He will say the girlfriend thing was stuck in his head in the fight therefore he did not performe the first time. I think this is a little far fetched but i wouldnt be surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,509,042 times
I think Floyd got licked, and I am a fan of the man.

The punch stats I have seen are absolutely crazy...Floyd just did not throw enough punches to be the winner of that fight. Period.

Even if you go by the theory that the rounds were tough to score due to the roughhouse nature of Maidana's work against the ropes, the margin by which Floyd "won" on the two judges scorecards tells me that the fix was in and they are not quite ready to let go of the cash cow.

I agree Floyd will make some adjustments and win the next one easily. I will never forget the look of fear on Mayweather's face in the corner after the fourth. Hats off to both men for hanging in there in a brutal fight. One of the best I can remember.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 PM

519 posts, read 503,769 times
Yes, they take away points for holding. They also take away Points for low blows....

The fight went more or less the way I expected with Maidana forcing a lot of ugly action along the ropes. Maidana started off the fight very strongly. Floyd eventually started timing him better and countering effectively off of the ropes. I must say that Floyd looked every bit of his 37 years tonight. It was an excellent job of preparation by Robert Garcia and a game effort from Maidana who continues to be underestimated by those that don't know any better. He definitely earned himself a rematch. I also must say that it wasn't a very good job of officiating by Tony weeks oddly enough. I thought he was quick on a lot of breaks on the ropes when Maidana had a hand free and was in a position to continue doing some good work.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:11 AM

331 posts, read 468,314 times
I'm sorry Mayweather didn't win this. They gave it to him.
And he wants to act like he wanted to give the people their money's worth, when it was Maidana who gave him a run for his money. lol

The crowd was awesome! and Floyd's reaction to the blood was too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I will never forget the look of fear on Mayweather's face in the corner after the fourth.
Like he needed a pep talk from the Biebs.

Last edited by Tasteslikepurple; 05-04-2014 at 12:23 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 01:07 AM

204 posts, read 258,690 times

Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 AM

491 posts, read 1,331,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I think Floyd got licked, and I am a fan of the man.

The punch stats I have seen are absolutely crazy...Floyd just did not throw enough punches to be the winner of that fight. Period.

Even if you go by the theory that the rounds were tough to score due to the roughhouse nature of Maidana's work against the ropes, the margin by which Floyd "won" on the two judges scorecards tells me that the fix was in and they are not quite ready to let go of the cash cow.

I agree Floyd will make some adjustments and win the next one easily. I will never forget the look of fear on Mayweather's face in the corner after the fourth. Hats off to both men for hanging in there in a brutal fight. One of the best I can remember.
I think you might be right. At worst for Maidana, this was pretty much a draw, but usually the judges give the benefit of the doubt to the busier fighter and that was obviously Maidana based on Compubox. When you put the punches landed alone, it is basically even.

Judges aren't going to keep track punch per punch obviously but there's no way this was a majority decision. Punch stats by Compubox showed Mayweather landing 230 of 426 punches to 221 of 858 for Maidana. It was the most punches landed by any fighter against Mayweather in 38 fights where punch stats were compiled.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 AM

Both fighters used dirty tactics, none of them are saints. I was mad that the Referee broke the fight everytime Maidana had him in the ropes and Mayweather clinched. I thought Mayweather was going " To stand right there" i thought he was going to look for the K.O and that it would be different from the Canelo and Guerrero fights like he said....it was the exact same thing.

I actually dont want to see the rematch, its going to be the same thing plus more running from Floyd so that he can get another usual decision, earn $30 million, and knock down another fight so that he is closer to retirement. Why cant he fight a fast fighter, whats its up with all these flat footed fighters that only have the punchers chance? Just fight Pacman and get it over with, that fight was due 2009. He will probably fight an over the hill pacman as his last fight so that he can convince people that he fought everyone and that he is "TBE". Floyd is an extremely smart man. I just don't like how he does things.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 AM

162 posts, read 151,832 times
I had Maidana winning by 116-112, though there were some very close rounds. Maidana controlled the pace and action, he was the one who made this fight. Even when being pressed Floyd could only muster 35 punches per round, that's pathetic. Maidana was right in from of him the entire fight and he still couldn't close the show. Now we know why Floyd doesn't like to fight guys like Alexander and Khan who beat Maidana easily. Can you imagine if Maidana had any sort of speed or quickness? Now we also know why so many other great fighters were missing from Floyd's resume.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,509,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
I had Maidana winning by 116-112, though there were some very close rounds. Maidana controlled the pace and action, he was the one who made this fight. Even when being pressed Floyd could only muster 35 punches per round, that's pathetic. Maidana was right in from of him the entire fight and he still couldn't close the show. Now we know why Floyd doesn't like to fight guys like Alexander and Khan who beat Maidana easily. Can you imagine if Maidana had any sort of speed or quickness? Now we also know why so many other great fighters were missing from Floyd's resume.

this is pretty close to how I had it. I was in shock as Floyd was losing round after round, inactive and rattled, and Berstein and crew were saying things like "that round could have went either way..."

I am going to be very generous to Al and say that he was not watching the fight, itself, but the legend of Floyd Mayweather. As for the judges who are paid to score the fight honestly...they should be made to explain themselves.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:12 PM

That is what i am saying, since when is accuracy the main factor in winning fights? Maidana and Floyd pretty much landed the same number of punches, but Maidana was pushing the fight, constantly backing Floyd up, constantly backing him up to the ropes and swarming him, forcing Floyd to clinch all the time ( AKA "boxing" to some people). He threw a punching output almost twice than floyds, and many of those punches landed on Floyds arms and shoulders, and we know those punches do hurt, they were still doing effect and moving Floyd back. Maidana was never hurt at all, his face was clean.

I dont know why Floyd kept complaining about getting hit in the back of the head. He always gives his left back exposed when he uses his shoulder roll style, it was his own fault he kept turning after Maidana threw those overhand rights. Its illegal to throw punches directly at the back of the head, but if you throw a punch and the opponent turns and leaves his back of the head exposed then that is his own fault if the punch lands there.

Watch this video of a very well known referee telling Adrien Broner the rules before the fight. Listen closely at 2:45 about the back of the head hitting rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAthGTqQkL8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way why did they have the Mexican Anthem? If Maidana is from Argentina and Floyd from the U.S. Floyd has never had the Mexican Anthem be singed when he has fought other non-mexican heritage opponents. He was probably the one who wanted it since he has the most influence out of the two. He was also wearing Mexican colors in his trunk and gloves. Did he wanted Mexican support against an Argentine fighter or was he mocking Mexico again?

Last edited by Almeida93; 05-04-2014 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing