Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times

Advertisements

Canelo vs Trout- Both were boxing. Competitive fight, knocks Trout down and wins by decision
Lara vs Trout- Both were boxing. Easy fight, knocks Trout down and wins by decision
Canelo vs Angulo- Angulo was moving forward. Canelo Dominates, referee stops the fight because Angulo can't defend himself and can't fight back.
Lara vs Angulo- Angulo was moving forward. Competitive fight. Knocks Lara down twice, but his lack of defense leads him to get hit by too many punches which makes him quit.

Canelo does better against people who come forward and worst against people who outside box.
Lara does better against people who outside box and worst against people who come forward.

So in order for Canelo to win he has to move forward and apply pressure.
In order for Lara to win he needs to keep his distance and move around.

But...

Canelo fought arguably the best fighter in this era. Floyd Mayweather. The figher with the best defensive, counterpuching, and outside boxing in this generation. Canelo lost. But he learned from that experience. He learned that he can not hesitate and try to outbox and true defensive genius.

Canelo sure as hell also watched the Maidana vs Floyd fight. Maidana used pure agression and it is obvious he did better than Canelo. Canelo is a student of the sweet science. Although he has a large frame and hits hards he likes to be tactical. But his fight with Mayweather and watching the Maidana vs Mayweather fight will convince Canelo that he has to apply pressure and overwhelm Lara like Angulo did and how Maidana did against Mayweather.

It is a 50/50 fight. But his learn experience against Floyd and watching Maidana give Floyd everything he got will be the tipping point.

Expect Canelo to apply pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
Sorry Canelo is getting outboxed. The judges will still give it to him, but there's no way in heck Canelo is going to "move forward and apply pressure" when he's getting hit with counter straights all night long.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM

592 posts, read 802,377 times
Canelo is not a pressure fighter, so he probably won't come in applying a lot of pressure. He's going to box and I still can't decide who I think will win.. I lean toward Lara, but he will need a knockout.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Yup. Lara will need to ring Canelo's bell badly to get a win. He can outland Canelo by 100 punches and still drop a decision. Canelo's market cap is literally 10x bigger than Lara's. Boxing economics/politics always wins.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Lara has the edge in counter-punching, quickness, footwork, and defense. Canelo has the edge in power and aggression. Canelo's only chance is to apply constant pressure and not get countered. Very difficult to do against Lara, he is slippery. However, Lara has a tendency to over-commit on his jab, he lunges forward with his face wide open throwing long, extended jabs. If Canelo can time him he can ring his bell a few times. Lara is good at timing opponents, so Canelo will need to double and triple jab if he wants to land any big right hands. Tough fight to call, but if it goes the distance we may see a controversial decision in Canelo's favor.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 PM

326 posts, read 529,146 times
Lara got dropped twice against an aggresive Angulo. Canelo has much better hand speed and comperable if not better power. Plus, Canelo throws accurate punches in combos.

If Canelo fights aggresive like he did against Angulo, I think this is a clear decision if not a stoppage. Definitely competitive but I think he has the goods. He's only 23 and I tihnk he's learned a lot since Mayweather.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Lara got dropped twice against an aggresive Angulo. Canelo has much better hand speed and comperable if not better power. Plus, Canelo throws accurate punches in combos.

If Canelo fights aggresive like he did against Angulo, I think this is a clear decision if not a stoppage. Definitely competitive but I think he has the goods. He's only 23 and I tihnk he's learned a lot since Mayweather.
That is what i am saying. A slow angulo with basic combos would get close to Lara and bang away. Lara is a amateur fighter. His craft is on the outside. But like all Amateur fighters, he lacks inside game. He just covers up when fighters get in close and he lets them throw at will.

Look at his fighs. His main tools are a distracting jab and his main weapon is the straight left. He throws those constantly. He is heavily dependent on those two punches. But inside he is clueless. Look at his fight against Angulo and Molina. When they got close he would just put his hands up.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post

Angulo was also taking hellacious shots in return for his "aggressiveness" and ended up getting stopped.

Can you honestly see Canelo taking shot after shot just so he can land his 1-2 like Angulo?

That's not the kind of fighter Canelo is. Just like he did against Floyd, when Canelo eats a hard shot, he's going to try and back out, and reset. He's NOT going to charge into the fray to try and land his big guns. He only does that against guys like Matthew Hatton and when he has a 20 pound weight advantage.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 PM

326 posts, read 529,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Angulo was also taking hellacious shots in return for his "aggressiveness" and ended up getting stopped.

Can you honestly see Canelo taking shot after shot just so he can land his 1-2 like Angulo?

That's not the kind of fighter Canelo is. Just like he did against Floyd, when Canelo eats a hard shot, he's going to try and back out, and reset. He's NOT going to charge into the fray to try and land his big guns. He only does that against guys like Matthew Hatton and when he has a 20 pound weight advantage.
Honestly man, Canelo looked like a completely different fighter with Angulo. I feel like he wanted to prove to the world that his loss was a fluke. If he has anything near the aggresiveness he put on with Angulo, Lara is going to be in deep waters on 7/12.

If Canelo uses the same strategy he did against Trout(outbox, counterpunch) he's going to have a much harder time than he did with Trout.

Canelo has the goods though. I think this is his fight to lose.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:33 AM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
I see Canelo taking this despite his conditioning and weight issues. I like Lara and his technical ability and he would win provided that he's able to use that reach and box Canelo. However it's hard for me to get over how an inferior El Perro was able to get Lara into a much more rugged fight. Canelo, while not a slickster is infinitely slicker than Angulo. I see Canelo cutting the ring off, getting inside on Lara and peppering his body to slow him down. I see Lara perhaps not getting KO'd but definitely getting dropped again. Canelo is Golden Boy's next cash cow. He could survive taking an L against Mayweather as there's no shame there. They can't afford to have him lose to again, especially so soon. The only way Lara wins is if he knocks Canelo out or puts on an absolutley dominating performance. I don't envision either one of those scenarios. My money will be on Canelo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing