U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:11 PM

162 posts, read 152,165 times

Advertisements

I think Pacman would lose his edge in speed and power moving up to middleweight. Martinez is already comfortable and established at that weight. He would come in much bigger and he has been hit by bigger, harder punchers. I can't see Manny hurting him but he could probably pull out a decision win. Martinez didn't look so good against a handful of no name European fighters and I think he is looking at his last few fights as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 AM

326 posts, read 458,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
I think Pacman would lose his edge in speed and power moving up to middleweight. Martinez is already comfortable and established at that weight. He would come in much bigger and he has been hit by bigger, harder punchers. I can't see Manny hurting him but he could probably pull out a decision win. Martinez didn't look so good against a handful of no name European fighters and I think he is looking at his last few fights as well.
See that's the thing. Pacquaio almost certainly wouldn't lose his speed because I doubt the guy could realistically make anything above 154, and even that is probably a little high.

In terms of Martinez, he usually comes in around 158-159 and only weighs a couple pounds over that on fight night. Martinez doesn't cut to make weight and he's really a natural 154 pounder.

I really think this fight is winnable for Pacquaio and would be pretty competitive on both sides. Martinez has an athletic style and decent power. I'd still pick Pacquaio in this one because Martinez tends to get knocked down when he throws punches off balance. I think we could easily see 1-2 knockdowns for Pacman by the end of the fight.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 AM

519 posts, read 505,771 times
Regardless, what we're likely to get is Pacquiao vs. Marquez 5...or even Pacquiao vs. Alvarado. Yay.

Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao vs Marquez For the Fifth Time? Bob Arum Says Fight Could Be Staged In Macau, Not In Las Vegas : Sports : Latin Post

Old 05-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Right because Mayweather vs Guerrero/Ortiz/Alvarez were such memorable barn burners. At least Alvarado knocked out Prescott who knocked out Khan who Floyd ducked. Alvarado also beat Herrera decisively.....a guy who took it to Garcia and kept it very close. If he beats Marquez he beats a better opponent than Maidana's last few leading up to his ass whooping of Floyd. Who did Broner ever beat? Malignaggi, the guy who just got knocked out in 4 rounds by Pacman's sparring partner.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:03 PM

What does this thread have to do with Mayweather? Or Maidana? Or Broner? Oh that's right, nothing, nothing and nothing.

Thanks for playing though.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM

592 posts, read 668,794 times
Quote:
Right because Mayweather vs Guerrero/Ortiz/Alvarez were such memorable barn burners. At least Alvarado knocked out Prescott who knocked out Khan who Floyd ducked. Alvarado also beat Herrera decisively.....a guy who took it to Garcia and kept it very close. If he beats Marquez he beats a better opponent than Maidana's last few leading up to his ass whooping of Floyd. Who did Broner ever beat? Malignaggi, the guy who just got knocked out in 4 rounds by Pacman's sparring partner.

I thought we were talking about Pacman..

Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
What does this thread have to do with Mayweather? Or Maidana? Or Broner? Oh that's right, nothing, nothing and nothing.

Thanks for playing though.
Nice try fanboy. You came in this thread to take a shot at Pacman's opponents and it backfired. Looking at your post history I see a majority of your posts are bashing him while praising Mayweather. Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing of value to the thread.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
I thought we were talking about Pacman..
Who are you? Evan702s echo?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Nice try fanboy. You came in this thread to take a shot at Pacman's opponents and it backfired. Looking at your post history I see a majority of your posts are bashing him while praising Mayweather. Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing of value to the thread.
Coming back to reality, you made a post that was 110% irrelevant to the topic at hand and you got called on your BS. So, contributing nothing of value to the thread? Sorry, that's all you, hater.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 PM

592 posts, read 668,794 times
Quote:
Who are you? Evan702s echo?
I'm your father. I just want what's best for my seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or