U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 10:35 PM

519 posts, read 506,692 times

Advertisements

Fight started of with JMM putting on a clinic. In the middle rounds it just got vicious though with JMM knocking Alvarado down and almost out of the ring in the eighth. I thought it was pretty much over at that point as Alvarado didn't seem to know where he was between rounds, but if nothing else Alvarado has the heart of champion and came back with a knockdown of his own in the 9th. He almost knocked JMM down again in the 10th or 11th, I forget.

JMM looked good for a lot of the fight letting his hands go and throwing fierce combinations. Alvarado seemed to want to make JMM the aggressor instead of letting him be in normal counterpuncher role and Marquez was more than willing to oblige. JMM definitely got touched in the fight, but after the fight Mile High Mike looked like he went to hell and back. FWIW, Marquez was noncommittal after the fight about a 5th Pacquiao fight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 PM

162 posts, read 152,374 times
Lots of acne on Marquez's chest, shoulders and back, a telltale sign of HGH usage. Not sure how he he peeing clean but there is no doubt in my mind he has been juicing in his last few fights. Doesn't help that he has a trainer known for using cocktails of HGH that can slide under the radar. Suddenly, a 40 year old man has acne and huge muscles that he never had before.

Other than that, the fight was ok. Alvarado got off to a slow start. Didn't look like he wanted to fight for the first half. Marquez didn't sound like he wanted another fight with Pacman either. Maybe he is holding out for more money or better terms but he doesn't look interested.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
Lots of acne on Marquez's chest, shoulders and back, a telltale sign of HGH usage. Not sure how he he peeing clean but there is no doubt in my mind he has been juicing in his last few fights. Doesn't help that he has a trainer known for using cocktails of HGH that can slide under the radar. Suddenly, a 40 year old man has acne and huge muscles that he never had before.
{Sigh}

Quote:
Other than that, the fight was ok. Alvarado got off to a slow start. Didn't look like he wanted to fight for the first half. Marquez didn't sound like he wanted another fight with Pacman either. Maybe he is holding out for more money or better terms but he doesn't look interested.
IMO it looke like Alvarado still had a Ruslan Provodnikov hangover early on. That (Provodnikov) fight was the kind of fight that could ruin a boxer. Thankfully, Alvarado eventually seemed to wake up a bit and put forth a game effort to restore some credibility and respect to his name.

If Uncle Bob wants to pony up and offer JMM $15M or so, I don't know how he could walk away from that. Otherwise, he really doesn't need to fight Pacquiao yet again. The only problem with that though is since he apparently doesn't want to fight Provodnikov either, his options are about as limited as Pacquiao's.

Last edited by Evan702; 05-17-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 09:08 AM

162 posts, read 152,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
{Sigh}

IMO it looke like Alvarado still had a Ruslan Provodnikov hangover early on. That (Provodnikov) fight was the kind of fight that could ruin a boxer. Thankfully, Alvarado eventually seemed to wake up a bit and put forth a game effort to restore some credibility and respect to his name.

If Uncle Bob wants to pony up and offer JMM $15M or so, I don't know how he could walk away from that. Otherwise, he really doesn't need to fight Pacquiao yet again. The only problem with that though is since he apparently doesn't want to fight Provodnikov either, his options are about as limited as Pacquiao's.
Marquez isn't worth $15M. Last nights fight was not a PPV event because he isn't a draw on his own. His last fight with Bradley got about 375k buys. If Pacman is getting $20M+ Marquez deserves maybe $10M tops. Even that is on the high end. He got $1.5M last night and I don't see him making more than $3M against any other opponent.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:12 AM

Perhaps he isn't worth that amount per se, but he does have some leverage this time around. He can help bring the important Mexican viewers which would likely push a hypothetical Pacquiao-Marquez V over a million buys. I believe that the PPV against Marquez and the two PPVs against Pacquiao illustrate that for as solid a fighter as he is, it's Timothy Bradley that brings almost no viewers to the table. In every interview that I've seen or read, JMM seems perfectly content with the way that his quadrilogy with Pacquiao stands at the moment. It's going to take extra $$$ to lure him out. Hell, I see Bam Bam Rios already angling for a shot at JMM. Would it Pacquiao numbers? Of course not, but even that would still provide him with another decent payday which he seems fine with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing