U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
36 posts, read 70,472 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Per ESPN, the 9/13 date has been scheduled with an opponent to be determined. It won't be Amir Kahn who can't fight then due to Ramadan. Something tells me it won't be Marcos Maidana, as I can see TMT wanting a buffer fight before the rematch. If not Maidana, Danny Garcia, Shawn Porter, and Keith Thurman are potentials. Manny Pacquiao just signed an extension with Top Rank, so doubt the fight will ever happen.

If it is not Maidana, my choice would be Keith Thurman. Garcia, with some more seasoning, could be good money with Mayweather. I'm not hot on Shawn Porter at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,480,131 times
Reputation: 1235
If Erislandy Lara beats Canelo i want Mayweather to fight him. Notice how fighters need to beat a superstar in order to get the Mayweather fight. I think he is a pretty good candidate. He has beaten better quality of fighters than Thurman and Porter. People will want a slick fighter instead of the usual flat footed fighters that Mayweather always face. I see this fight being a chess match. Both not wanting to go inside.

He is the WBA interim champion at 154. He is next in line anyways.

In terms of popularity.If Canelo is more Popular than Broner and when Maidana beat Broner he got the Mayweather fight. Why can't Lara get Mayweather if he beats Canelo?

Danny Garcia is good. He is good at everything but not a master at a specific thing. But c'mon now you really think he will beat Mayweather?

Thurman hits hard and has good combinations but his defense is iffy and he has been hurt in the last two fights by slow fighters when lunching in.

Porter is strong and overwhelms his opponents. He has better combinations than Maidana. He is also a champion. To get Mayweather for september he either has to beat Garcia or Thurman in impressive fashion. But just like Thurman i havent seen him fight quality opponents. He had a tie with Diaz in the first fight and had to fight him again.

Honestly i think Lara will be the best opponent out of the four. He doesn't have good inside game but he excels in the outside. And that is where Floyd likes to be at too. He is also a southpaw

The Last thing i want is Mayweather to fight Maidana. He is just going to run and pot shot him for 12 rounds.

Last edited by Almeida93; 05-20-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
36 posts, read 70,472 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post

In terms of popularity.If Canelo is more Popular than Broner and when Maidana beat Broner he got the Mayweather fight. Why can't Lara get Mayweather if he beats Canelo?

Danny Garcia is good. He is good at everything but not a master at a specific thing. But c'mon now you really think he will beat Mayweather?

Thurman hits hard and has good combinations but his defense is iffy and he has been hurt in the last two fights by slow fighters when lunching in.

Porter is strong and overwhelms his opponents. He has better combinations than Maidana. He is also a champion. To get Mayweather for september he either has to beat Garcia or Thurman in impressive fashion.

The Last thing i want is Mayweather to fight Maidana. He is just going to run and pot shot him for 12 rounds.
If Lara beats Canelo he would eventually fight Mayweather in my opinion. That is IF he beats Canelo, which I do not think he will.

Garcia was not sharp in his last fight but he is very good and has an iron jaw. He could test Mayweather - that fight will eventually happen.

I'm not a Porter fan - just my opinion.

You may be right about Mayweather-Maidana. Maidana really should of won that fight in my opinion. I would be surprised if the rematch happens this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 667,128 times
Reputation: 549
The difficult thing about this is that Floyd needs an opponent with a large fan base to counter balance the cost of promotions. Lara really has no fan base at all, in terms of generating revenue. The only true fight that will do this is a bout with Manny Pacquiao. Arum, Goldenboy, and Mayweather need to make it happen... It's not realistic though. I think Porter and Thurman are quality opponents, and Thurman is actually the mandatory for Floyd's title...but I don't see it happening since Keith is still green. Danny Garcia hasn't even fought at welterweight yet, so I don't think he would be much competition. Side note: Mayweather clearly beat Maidana, but a rematch would not absurd since it was close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
36 posts, read 70,472 times
Reputation: 36
Garcia has already talked about moving to welterweight so I would think it is in the cards. You are right about Lara not being box office. Pacquiao just signed a new extension with Top Rank so that fight will never happen or at least not in the next 2-3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Missouri
592 posts, read 667,128 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownr View Post
Garcia has already talked about moving to welterweight so I would think it is in the cards. You are right about Lara not being box office. Pacquiao just signed a new extension with Top Rank so that fight will never happen or at least not in the next 2-3 years.
Yeah, he's talked about moving to welterweight, doesn't mean he should get a shot at the undisputed champ right away though. I think Broner-Garcia would be a hell of a fight at 147.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
519 posts, read 504,215 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownr View Post
Garcia has already talked about moving to welterweight so I would think it is in the cards.
Yep, Danny said that he wants one more fight at 140 then he's moving up. Good for him. 147 is a money division.

Quote:
You are right about Lara not being box office.
Well he's a technician like Floyd. I know there's a certain segment of boxing 'fan' that would claim that such a fight would be boring.

Quote:
Pacquiao just signed a new extension with Top Rank so that fight will never happen or at least not in the next 2-3 years.
Oh FFS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,369 posts, read 18,022,288 times
Reputation: 18406
Not many easy pickings out there for little Floyd. Daddy Mayweather is already lining up excuses to avoid a Maidana rematch. That leaves Garcia, Thurman or Porter. Lara is fighting in July so I doubt he will be ready to fight in September. With PPV numbers lower than anticipated in his fight Maidana, he and Haymon will want someone who wl bring in money. Garcia is probably the best bet if he doesn't rematch with Maidana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2014, 10:06 AM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,480,131 times
Reputation: 1235
Alright so lets analyze each potential opponent.


Danny Garcia

Pros: Good at everything
Cons: Not really excels at anything

Keith Thurman

Pros: Good Power and Fast
Cons: Leaves himself open to counters.

Shawn Porter

Pros: Good Power and Fast
Cons: IDK i haven't seen many of his fights

Erislandy Lara

Pros: Excels on the outside
Cons: Freezes on the inside and just covers up when he gets swarmed

In all honesty. I think Lara is the best opponent. He southpaw counterpuncher with a good straight left. It would be a boring fight to the average boxing fan. But for the greater good, i believe Lara would be the best opposition out of the four. Garcia is good but nothing special that would give him any chance. Porter and Thurman have power and have good combinations but i believe like Canelo, they are still too green and need more experience. We don't know if they are going to freeze or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,369 posts, read 18,022,288 times
Reputation: 18406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Alright so lets analyze each potential opponent.


Danny Garcia

Pros: Good at everything
Cons: Not really excels at anything

Keith Thurman

Pros: Good Power and Fast
Cons: Leaves himself open to counters.

Shawn Porter

Pros: Good Power and Fast
Cons: IDK i haven't seen many of his fights

Erislandy Lara

Pros: Excels on the outside
Cons: Freezes on the inside and just covers up when he gets swarmed

In all honesty. I think Lara is the best opponent. He southpaw counterpuncher with a good straight left. It would be a boring fight to the average boxing fan. But for the greater good, i believe Lara would be the best opposition out of the four. Garcia is good but nothing special that would give him any chance. Porter and Thurman have power and have good combinations but i believe like Canelo, they are still too green and need more experience. We don't know if they are going to freeze or not.
Out of those four I think Porter probably gives Floyd a tougher and more entertaining bout because of his aggressive style. However, he does have a sloppy defense, but he is also awkward and not so easy to hit clean. Lara is primarily a counter puncher, and not a high volume puncher, there is no PPV money there and he will likely be passed over. Thurman is still a fight or two away, needs a little more polishing. I would prefer to see Thurman and Porter fight this year with the winner getting a shot at Floyd next year. Garcia certainly deserves a shot and I think it would be a good fight. All depends on Haymon and Ellerbe, they are the shot callers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top