U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:23 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd look into MMA if I were you first as it seems to be your instinctive leaning.

Also, um....you're in for a rough learning curve as most of those guys didn't just wrestle around with their buddies but actually wrestled many up through collegiate wrestling. Maybe you can get a friend to go with you and then have someone to match up with? Because otherwise I think you'll encounter a lot of younger guys or the guys your age are going to have huge skill advantages just like if you were taking up basketball or golf etc. for the first time.

Lastly, how is your cardio? Watch Rocky...there is reason he's running so much.
At 37, that's going to be brutal.
If it's a regular boxing gym, there will be people just starting out, but they'll likely be in the 8th or 9th Grade. I started around the 7th Grade.

You can tell the trainer what your goals are and he should work with you. They're not going to toss you into the ring with someone who has way more experience than you though the expectation is that you work your way into sparring at some point. That may take 3 days for some guys and 3 months for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 05:35 PM

Some interesting tidbits from this video.

1. Feinting is important. You should be working on that from the beginning.

2. You need to vary the speed of your jab. All beginners throw the same jab. Jab out, jab back. That's fine, but if you don't change the speed, it'll be easy to time and counter. You catch guys off guard by throwing a couple of jabs at maybe 75% speed and then clocking him with 3rd one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSRXr7J3TW8

Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 PM

Joey Dawejko talking about being the only White guy in the gym growing up in Philly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6RZtoKqw8

Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 PM

52,032 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If it's a regular boxing gym, there will be people just starting out, but they'll likely be in the 8th or 9th Grade. I started around the 7th Grade.

You can tell the trainer what your goals are and he should work with you. They're not going to toss you into the ring with someone who has way more experience than you though the expectation is that you work your way into sparring at some point. That may take 3 days for some guys and 3 months for others.
You said it much better than I, with his *aggression* and wanting to knock someone the fudge out....there is going to be a patience requirement that may not be possible but who knows.

Good points. I've never boxed so I wouldn't have even commented until he started talking MMA and the wrestling aspects and considering I'm older than the OP I understand the wear and tear aspects....boy do I....lol.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:32 PM

52,032 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I'm sorry but 37 is old? I say go for it!! Just take care of yourself and be smart.
It's practically ancient in a lot of sports, but you hit it on the head with "be smart".

I stopped playing basketball at age 40 when about half the guys my age went out with ACL and achilles etc. injuries in about a 3 month span. I don't need that crap dogging me for my remaining 4 decades or so like it did my father-in-law whom limped around his last 20 years due to such an injury.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You said it much better than I, with his *aggression* and wanting to knock someone out....there is going to be a patience requirement that may not be possible but who knows.
Oh. I didn't even notice the part about wanting to knock people out. In that case, he may want to try MMA since it seems to attract more of the types who want to learn fight techniques and then try them out on unwitting suspects.

Boxing is a sport.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-13-2016 at 04:29 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,978,897 times
Look into Krav Maga. I was 41 when I started, and didn't know how to throw a punch, and if they can teach me to knock someone out with technique and hitting the right places, they can teach anyone. Strength isn't needed, it's technique and knowing where to hit. It's designed to be learned quickly, and be quick and devastating. No long, drawn out fights are necessary, a few good shots and it's over. Sometimes even one shot is enough. Many law enforcement and military people take Krav Maga.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 AM

The best thing about boxing is that you see and get hit with a lot of punches. Even if you've been in many bar fights, as the OP claims, you're not accustomed to body shots and upper cuts. So boxing, imo, prepares you psychologically for being hit. I think your effectiveness in any combat sport comes down to experience and boxers typically get a lot from a young age because you're preparing for a real fight at the end of the day. It's not like some martial arts where you're practicing techniques either in the air or under the assumption that you're going up against a stationary opponent who's throwing the exact punch you want.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:12 AM

As I mentioned earlier too, one of the most important things to learn in boxing is the feint. Roberto Duran was the master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFl0nh6FNXA

Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,498,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The best thing about boxing is that you see and get hit with a lot of punches. Even if you've been in many bar fights, as the OP claims, you're not accustomed to body shots and upper cuts. So boxing, imo, prepares you psychologically for being hit. I think your effectiveness in any combat sport comes down to experience and boxers typically get a lot from a young age because you're preparing for a real fight at the end of the day. It's not like some martial arts where you're practicing techniques either in the air or under the assumption that you're going up against a stationary opponent who's throwing the exact punch you want.
It's not worth it. The human body is simply not designed to absorb punches, nor were our hand created to dispense punishment.

Honestly, after I learned how to box, I've never had to utilize my skills outside of the ring. I've been prepared to do so before, but my potential opponent never committed to anything, so it was unnecessary.

Either way man, I think on the street, it's more about how much punishment your opponent can take at the of the day. It's even worse if they are crazy and can fight a little because no matter how good your skills are, they still might be able to beat you.

For example, look at the fight between the MMA guy McGregor vs Diaz. McGregor has better ability and was the harder puncher, but Diaz is great at taking beatings not going down. You never know when you're going to run into a guy like that.

It's not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or