U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,489,162 times

Advertisements

Hi today was my first day in the boxing gym. It seems like the trainer who took me in really tested my condition, and my dedication because he had me doing a bunch of exercises and drills that really kicked both our asses. He was doing them as well. I think since alot of people just go there for a few days and then dissapear, he wanted to test me if i had to will power to follow through. I did. He then had me practicing the proper stance and had me doing 1, 2 around the ring. He said i was doing real good. I think i passed the initiation. Tomorrow i will go in the same time.

I mainly listened to him and just did what he told me to do. I am going to keep it to myself for a few days. I don't want him to see me talking to people, because people tend to distract you and forming relations from the beginning when i am barely starting i think will get me sidetracked. I am just going to keep a watch on who's who and greet everything and awknowledge them and be respectful.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 PM

My coach is telling me that i am doing good and that i have good form. He said that i need to work on my punching snap. I need to relax my shoulders and loosen them up. How to i throw snap punches instead of pushing punches. Any tips

Old 06-07-2014, 01:34 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,054,569 times
If there was a fly on the heavy bag and you wanted to kill it with a punch, would you hit it with a slow thud or snap your punch fast? Pretend you're killing flies.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
If there was a fly on the heavy bag and you wanted to kill it with a punch, would you hit it with a slow thud or snap your punch fast? Pretend you're killing flies.
Ahh that is a good metaphor. Thanks i will try to envision that.

I currently use the Everlast Pro Boxing Training Gloves. They seem ok and good for beginners like me. The online reviews tend to be very negative towards start Everlast products. Ill keep them using them until they fall apart. Other than that. What is a good and affordable boxing training/sparring gloves for beginners. I heard Title and Ringside are very good, but i need to order them online so the drawback will be that i won't get the chance to try them on until they arrive. Same thing with heardgear. I am looking for a cross bar that can protect my nose better.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM

215 posts, read 251,700 times
Hi, I have been training in boxing for less than a year so I'm no expert! But I do have some tips which helped me out a lot when I finally grasped them.

First, jump rope a lot. There is no substitute for jump rope. It tones your arms, strengthens your shoulders, improves your breathing and hand-eye coordination. It also gives you the endurance and bounce to stay up on your toes during a match. I am naturally flat footed so this was a crucial point for me to learn. If you're just starting out I would spend as much time jumping rope as you do on everything else combined. It can be frustrating when you're tripping and out of breath at first (I sure was), but stick with it and you will see some really satisfying improvement in your boxing performance.

Also, remember that when it comes to punching power, rotation is everything. When you throw the right cross for example, the power comes from pivoting on your feet and turning at the waist. The arms are simply there to snap out the punch and complete the motion that started at your feet. if you throw punches using just your arms without rotation, they lack distance and power.

Really basic I know, but I still have to remind myself every time I'm in the gym. Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,790,476 times
drink raw eggs then go punch some hanging bull carcasses.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:26 PM

354 posts, read 251,667 times
The Pro T Max are good training gloves. Try to use only the 16 Oz gloves when training. No need to train with anything lighter. Work your abs like crazy. I mean like crazy. 20-30 minutes of intense ab work every time you're at the gym. Protect your hands, wrap them up well and don't let them dry out. And tell all of your friends to join you. The more people we get at Boxing gyms, the more the sport will continue to rebound from the Tyson-era downfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or