Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should Cotto fight next
Golovkin 2 33.33%
Mayweather 0 0%
Canelo 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:08 AM

864 posts, read 799,817 times

Advertisements

Canelo is going to get wiped out by Lara. So let's drop him off the list right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:25 AM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
A lot of people said the same would happen to Cotto against Maravilla and we see how that turned out.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Of course a lot of people said that, Martinez was the favorite for that fight.

Lara is basically an unknown quantity for most fans, and Canelo will come in a huge favorite because when you say the name "Erislandy Lara", most people will have a blank stare trying to remember if Lara is a soccer player or something else.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM

326 posts, read 529,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Canelo is going to get wiped out by Lara. So let's drop him off the list right now.
Lol. Just you wait and see man.

Lara arguably lost against Carlos Molina and got dropped twice and was down on the scorecards before KO'ing Angulo. I'm not saying he's not good. Lara is good put perhaps he's just a little overhyped right now considering the kind of opponents that have given him trouble.

Canleo has better handspeed, better power, great combos, and has great fundamentals. I think this fight will be competitive but I'm definitely picking Canelo.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
That is what i am saying. Look Canelo is at the tender age of 23. Lara has been "calling out" Canelo for years now. What people don't realize is that Lara was calling a teenage Canelo that was not even on his prime and very green. Lara has been calling out everybody. Heck anyone can call anybody. Everybody does that. The only reason Lara was calling out Canelo for years is that he wanted to spring up in his popularity. But he was looking for an easy fight against a teenage Canelo and get popular as well. How is Canelo a coward? If Lara had escape Cuba as a teenager, would he have taken a tuff fighter at the age of 19/20? I dont think so. Lara was just looking to beat a very green teenage canelo in order to spring up. How about taking more chances in the ring Lara? If you want to become popular you should please the crowd. Not just call everybody out in twitter and talk trash.

I dont understand why he is calling out Canelo a coward. When he arguably lost to Carlos Molina yet he has not granted him a rematch. There is no reason why he would not grant Molina a rematch. Molina is a current Light Middleweight titleholder for gods sake!

Why call Canelo a dodger when he had plenty of time to fight Carlos Molina.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Canelo sucks. Sorry. He will never be a Top elite fighter, just a good fighter who can beat mid-level guys like Angulo, or scrubs like Matthew Hatton.

Old man Mayweather completely exposed Canelo. He's slow, no foot movement, no head movement, short reach, mediocre hand speed, and probably too small for 154. Basically based on styles, he is the perfect target for Lara. That's why Lara has called him out for the past 5 years, not some imaginary "teenage body" logic. Lara knows Canelo fits perfectly into his style of hard counter punching. Yes, Canelo will beat guys who come at him full throttle like Angulo, where he can become the matador and boxer. That's not going to happen with Lara.

Of course, I won't see any of you guys here after Canelo gets absolutely schooled by Lara. You guys will just disappear. Good enough for me.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Cotto looked solid against a fading Martinez. I'm curious how he will perform against some of the young guns out there like Quillan or GGG. I'd like to see him in with the winner of Alvarez/Lara. A rematch with Floyd is intriguing but I don't think Floyd wil ever go for it, even if it means he can possible win a title in another division.

154/160 just got a little more interesting.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 PM

162 posts, read 177,364 times
Cotto looked good, even though it was clear Martinez's knees were giving him trouble. Hopefully Canelo wins against Lara so a fight between Cotto and Canelo can be made.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 PM

326 posts, read 529,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Of course, I won't see any of you guys here after Canelo gets absolutely schooled by Lara. You guys will just disappear. Good enough for me.
Geez a little testy there huh?

I'm guessing if Canelo takes Lara to school then you'll be saying how Lara was so overrated blah blah blah...

Bottom line, props to Canelo for taking the most dangerous fight he could at this juncture. I mean, he's only 23.

This marks 3 out of 4 fights against slick boxers that are difficult fights. Watching Angulo against Lara though, it is my honest prediciton that Lara is going to lose, possibly even get stopped. He doesn't do well against guys with power and body punchers. Canelo has fast hand speed, power, combos, and 1000X better footwork than Angulo.

Watching that fight, there were literally dozens of oppurtunities that Angulo could have landed on Lara if he would have had better boxing acumen. IMO, Canelo wins this one big.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 AM

If Canelo beats Lara, (and I mean fair and square, Lara doesn't get jobbed badly like he did against Paul Williams) I will give him all the props in the world. That would be arguably the best win of his entire career so far.

If Canelo gets popped all night, and wins some ridiculous 115-113 decision, which is a real possibility considering the money behind Canelo (and the lack of money behind Lara), it will mean nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing