U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should Cotto fight next
Golovkin 2 33.33%
Mayweather 0 0%
Canelo 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,008,152 times

Advertisements

Assuming Golovkin wins his next fight, could these two square off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 PM

519 posts, read 506,546 times
Impressive performance by Miguel winning (which I predicted Cotto would win ). He came out on fire in the first round and did damage to Sergio with those left hooks. Martinez was valiant but honestly he really didn't even have many moments in the fight. He needs to seriously consider hanging the gloves up.

As for Cotto, especially with Oscar in control of Golden Boy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him challenge Canelo assuming that he gets by Lara.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 18 days ago)

2,752 posts, read 3,285,378 times
In my heart, I wanted Cotto to win. In my mind, I could not logically come to that conclusion. However, this is the best I've seen Cotto look in years. Thanks to Freddy Roach, Cotto is a regenerated and agile Boxer with a vast skill set.

I take nothing from Maravilla Martinez and have been a fan of his for years. Sadly, at 39 and given all his surgeries, it may be time for him to close this chapter of his life. He's had a tough uphill career and has nothing to be ashamed of. He's a model human being. He's an example which many would benefit from by emulating. I wish him many years of life, health, and the absolute best.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:20 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,491,563 times
How does one get bad knees from boxing? Did he just exercised too much? Age? Genetics?

I think he would have won if he had good knees. But hey, he took the fight saying there was nothing wrong with him. He signed the contract. Cotto did what he had to do. I want to see Cotto vs Golovkin or vs the winner of Canelo vs Lara

Old 06-08-2014, 07:23 PM

326 posts, read 458,890 times
I was picking Sergio Martinez. Of course, this was on paper an extremely evenly matched fight.

Cotto won in a huge way though and I think suprised pretty much everyone in the way he absolutely dominated Marvilla. Martinez's promoter just released a statement that Martinez's knees and hand are completely okay. The only injuries he sustained during the fight was a broken nose. He just got stunned bad by Cotto in Rd 1 and kept going the rest of the way only on heart.

Assuming Canelo get's by Lara(which I believe he will), I think the stars have finally aligned for a Canelo/Cotto blockbuster. Congratulations to Cotto, the lineal middleweight champion of the world. I hope he gives Golovkin the shot he's earned at some point.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Oh, and I think Cotto/Mayweather II at 160 would do HUGE money. At this point in Mayweather's career and seeing how he faired against Maidana, I don't think Floyd would be 100% guaranteed to win this match either.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Oh, and I think Cotto/Mayweather II at 160 would do HUGE money. At this point in Mayweather's career and seeing how he faired against Maidana, I don't think Floyd would be 100% guaranteed to win this match either.
Floyd Mayweather is currently the Best P4P fighter (BP4P). He could also well be one of the most boring BP4P fighters given his steady stream of unanimous decision victories.

A BP4P fighter should, at the very least, be a bit more explosive from time to time. Of his last 10 fights, 8 have gone the distance. It's like watching the same movie over and over again; a movie I no longer care to watch or pay for regardless of the opponent given that the result is always the same. That may be good for FM's record and wallet. But it ain't that good for the fan who pays to watch a little controlled brutality from time to time. Just a thought.

Now that I got that off my chest, I would not mind seeing Cotto vs Bradley.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Now that I got that off my chest, I would not mind seeing Cotto vs Bradley.
That would be a good match up. But more than Cotto vs. Canelo???

Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
That would be a good match up. But more than Cotto vs. Canelo???
In my opinion [only] Bradley would seem a better gamble for Cotto. Why? Because Freddie Roach has the experience of two fights against Bradley whom is closer to Cotto's age and height than is 23 year old 5'9" Canelo Alvarez.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,491,563 times
Should Canelo stay at 154 and fight Cotto for a non title fight? Or should he move up to 160 to try to take the middleweight title away from Cotto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or