U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM

119 posts, read 144,528 times

Advertisements

I'm out of shape, I haven't exercised in years, I can't jog, I can't run, I am lazy to even walk but I'm not fat, not even chubby, not even thick or beefy, I just eat junk food, watch TV and movies, should I join a boxing gym? I saw videos of the gyms where I live on youtube and it looks like they are going hardcore, I never boxed, never played sport, I used to cut gym class in high school and somehow still passed, weird, I've never been athletic or even close, I am physically weak as hell, I don't lift weights, I hate it, I don't do anything but just sleep, should I join a boxing gym? I heard some places make you spar someone, I only want to go there to learn the discipline and lose weight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRobert View Post
I'm out of shape, I haven't exercised in years, I can't jog, I can't run, I am lazy to even walk but I'm not fat, not even chubby, not even thick or beefy, I just eat junk food, watch TV and movies, should I join a boxing gym?
I could bench press almost 400lbs before I was 20 years old! I went to a boxing gym later in life to train for fun. It was not easy. Boxing training is not for your average Joe Lazy. Boxers are in GREAT shape. I'm not talking about how the look. I'm talking about physical fitness.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM

215 posts, read 250,508 times
OP, dunno if you're still reading this thread but I would absolutely encourage you to do it. I joined a boxing gym about 9 months ago. Like yourself, I was way out of shape from sitting at a desk for work all the time. Boxing was something that had always fascinated me but I had always been scared off by the intensity of the training that boxers do.

So here's what I did. First, I told all my friends that I was gonna do it. This meant that I was setting myself up for ridicule if I didn't follow through. Make peer pressure work for you. Next, look up any boxing gyms in your area, call and chat with the trainers, and physically go to them to check out if it is a good fit for your needs and personality. Have a specific goal in mind when you do this; do you want to just get in shape, work up to casual sparring, do amateur competition etc. This will help you ask the right questions when you walk in the door.

Above all, don't be intimidated. Boxers may be in incredible shape but they are some of the most modest and helpful people I've met in the martial arts world. A lot of martial artists seem to have this macho mentality causing senior members to **** all over the newbies but I've never seen this in boxing. The experienced fighters in my gym were coming over to give me friendly tips as soon as I started. At this point I'm not in great shape by any means but it's fun to see the incremental improvements day by day when i'm jumping rope or hitting the speed bag.

Good luck, now go box!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or