U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,217,440 times

Advertisements

I have been watching this guy since his debut here in the states and he has almost all the tools to become a GREAT as in legendary fighter. If he shores up his defense (gets hit a bit too cleanly) we could be looking at the arrival of a true legendary fighter.

I remember when I was a kid watching a very very young Roy Jones Jr. and thought the same thing. Golovkin is no joke. I think he K.O.'s Cotto in no more than 8 rounds. That fat Mexican spoiled brat "girl" who goes by "Junior" with the famous completely overrated father will never fight him because, just like his dad, he likes to fight useless Tijuana cab drivers while not making weight. The only person out there who could give him a fight is Ward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,042,177 times
I would like to see a match made between Golovkin and Quillin. I think Quillin is overrated and Golovkin has yet to be tested by a top tier fighter. It's difficult to gauge a fighter's talent and ability when they haven't been truly tested. He has tremendous power at 160 and would likely have plenty of pop at 168 if he moves up. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 PM

326 posts, read 458,221 times
Everybody talks about GGG's punching power(which is seriously insane) but his footwork is really what makes it for him. Hit footwork sets up his legendary punches and it's the reason why he has been stopping guys that have never been stopped before and doing it easily.

Honeslty, Canelo is my favorite fighter but I think he could learn a lot about Golovkin's footwork. He never over-extends himself, is always at just the right amount of distance to set something up.

His jab too. Just everything about this guy is P4P.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,236,415 times
It's too bad he couldn't get some decent competition instead of the bums he's been fighting. I'd love to see him against Alverez or Chavez junior but I don't think they want any part of him.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
It's too bad he couldn't get some decent competition instead of the bums he's been fighting. I'd love to see him against Alverez or Chavez junior but I don't think they want any part of him.
The guys he's been fighting since his US debut certainly not bums. Not on the level of a Canelo or Cotto but definitely not bums.

Geale is/was a top 5 MW, only been dropped a couple of times early in his career, never been stopped,2 time MW champion. Adama took Geale 12 rounds and made him earn it. Macklin was well on his way to beating Sergio Martinez until he got KO'd in the 11th. Ishida has fought some legit quality guys, once again, never stopped. Ishida actually KO'd James Kirkland rd 1.

All that to say, I'm with you man. It's not GGG's fault but I wish he could get someone in there on the level of a Cotto, Canelo, JCC, Froch, etc

I would actually love to see a Ward fight. Imo, maybe I'm taking crazy pills but I think GGG probably KO's Ward too. Once again, he's #2 P4P, never lost a fight since age 12, I get it. I still think GGG delivers the goods in this one too.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:50 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,217,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post

All that to say, I'm with you man. It's not GGG's fault but I wish he could get someone in there on the level of a Cotto, Canelo, JCC, Froch, etc

Totally agree with all of those except for JCC. JCC is a bum. A fraud. Full of baloney. A fake. A scrub. He's nothing but a money maker for Arum because Mexicans would spend an entire paycheck to see him fight, even when he fights Tijuana taxi drivers who are 30 pounds lighter than he is. I HATE that guy. He's such a joke.

GGG fighting Cotto or Ward would be the real Superfight the world would like to see. Not so much the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight anymore. GGG is for real.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Totally agree with all of those except for JCC. JCC is a bum. A fraud. Full of baloney. A fake. A scrub. He's nothing but a money maker for Arum because Mexicans would spend an entire paycheck to see him fight, even when he fights Tijuana taxi drivers who are 30 pounds lighter than he is. I HATE that guy. He's such a joke.

GGG fighting Cotto or Ward would be the real Superfight the world would like to see. Not so much the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight anymore. GGG is for real.
Nah JCC is good man. He's just lazy and undiciplined. But when he trains hard, I think he gives almost anyone a tough test (not saying he'd beat everybody).

Oscar De la Hoya has been posting up and down about wanting to make a May 5 fight with Canelo/Cotto the main event, GGG/Ward the co-main. Holy crap dude....I'm shadowboxing right now. Hope the promoters can get their crap together to make this card. Also hope Ward wises up and starts fighting again just in general.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,836,135 times
On the list:

Cotto
Canelo
Ward

Any of these would be entertaining.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:14 PM

5,428 posts, read 6,407,851 times
Add JCC JR to that list as well.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 AM

2,869 posts, read 2,836,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Add JCC JR to that list as well.
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or