U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:34 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,203,065 times

Advertisements

Pavlik should not even be mentioned in the same thread as either Hopkins or Kovalev. Heck, Pavlik should not even be mentioned on the same world wide web as those two greats. Pavlik is a bum. Was always a bum. And will always be a bum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,016,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Pavlik should not even be mentioned in the same thread as either Hopkins or Kovalev. Heck, Pavlik should not even be mentioned on the same world wide web as those two greats. Pavlik is a bum. Was always a bum. And will always be a bum.
Pavlik was overrated, but he did beat Jermain Taylor twice, and Taylor beat Hopkins twice.

The way to beat Hopkins is to apply constant pressure, throw combinations, cut off the ring and keep a fast pace. Kovalev will need to throw at least 80 or 90 punches per round and cut off the ring if he wants to beat Hopkins. The problem is, Hopkins will clinch any time Kovalev gets a punch off. He will cheap shot on the inside and look to the ref for help. This will be an ugly fight as are most of Hopkins bouts.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 AM

5 posts, read 3,646 times
And he says that he will never let a white man beat him.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:30 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,203,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotflmao View Post
And he says that he will never let a white man beat him.
LOL. One week after that the great Welshman Joe Calzaghe did just that.

No way he beats Kovalev. NO WAY!!!

Hopkins beating Kovalev would be bigger than Foreman beating Moorer (even though Moorer is nothing compared to Kovalev), or Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson. But it aint going to happen.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM

73 posts, read 91,072 times
Yeah Hopkins is an Alien..he def is a great fighter and has managed to somehow still win even at this age. I will say though, that Kovalev might just end this dudes career.

I remember Hopkins saying that no white man could beat him, about a week or two before Calzaghe picked him apart. But I think Hopkins just loves to get ratings..like the time he stomped on the PR flag and nearly caused a riot in the crowd haha. The fool told the Puerto Ricans to "Bet their green cards he would win.." nobody said he was smrt.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:56 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,506,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Biscuits View Post
Yeah Hopkins is an Alien..he def is a great fighter and has managed to somehow still win even at this age. I will say though, that Kovalev might just end this dudes career.

I remember Hopkins saying that no white man could beat him, about a week or two before Calzaghe picked him apart. But I think Hopkins just loves to get ratings..like the time he stomped on the PR flag and nearly caused a riot in the crowd haha. The fool told the Puerto Ricans to "Bet their green cards he would win.." nobody said he was smrt.
Didn't realize Hopkins was a jerk. Glad that the dude whupped him.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:39 AM

Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
296 posts, read 424,854 times
I thought Kovalev should have been more aggresive in the mid to late rounds and went for the knockout. Bhop had no power at all, Kovalev had nothing to worry about. Kovalev could have ended the fight if he wanted to but he was overly cautious. Bhop only threw 195 punches (threw not landed) the entire fight. That is about 16 punches thrown per round. I was disappointed with Bhop. He didn't try to win, he was just trying to survive.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,701,730 times
BH is one of the best. 50 years old and competing with a guy who is 31. Thought it would have been a slugfest in the latter rounds

Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,830,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Biscuits View Post

I remember Hopkins saying that no white man could beat him, .
Yes he did say that. I have rooted against him every fight since. Was glad to see Kovalev take him out.

Kovalev is a machine; he's right up there as my favorite fighters right now along with Wlad and Adamek.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:18 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
I meant to post on this fight earlier. Three main points...

1. Kovalev is a real fighter. I wasn't as impressed with his power as I was with his defense. We all knew coming into the fight that he hits hard, but he looked better than Bernard in every facet of the game for the whole night. Rarely do we see a guy get in the ring with equal or better footwork than Bernard but Kovalev did that. His defensive skills are underrated.

2. Hopkins has one of the all-time great chins. Kovalev was landing some vicious punches in the 12th Round and Hopkins took them. Those shots would have put anyone else down. Props to Hopkins for finishing the fight, and most importantly, for challenging the most dangerous fighter in his division.

3. Hopkins sees things pretty clearly in his post-fight interviews. A lot of fighters can't be real with themselves and say how they got beat, but Bernard provided a thorough post mortem. There's not much need to read analysis about the fight; you can just listen to Bernard's interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing