Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:14 AM

326 posts, read 529,364 times

Advertisements

Watching this fight was so frustrating with all of the ref interference constantly breaking when either fighter had a hand free. Regardless, I think Floyd won more decisively than the last time, even if it wasn't particularly pretty to watch.

One takeaway though, was how cleanly Maidana was landing his punches compared to the first match. Maidana even wobbled Floyd with a clean punch at the 2nd round bell. Even so, it wasn't enough to merit him a win.

With Floyd's comments during the press conference, I really hope we can finally get a Floyd/Pacquaio fight going in 2015. I'll take Mayweather/"One Time" Thurman too. Mayweather/Khan does nothing for me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:11 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
A disgraceful performance. Floyd spent the entire night running and clinching. Anytime Maidana got close on the inside Floyd grabbed him and tied him up or Bayless pulled them apart. Floyd spent so much time running and holding he threw less than 30 punches per round. The ringside analysts were at their all time pathetic worst, calling phantom punches that Floyd never landed and clearly making excuses for another boring performance by the coward.

The point deduction was outrageous. No prior warning and it came at a moment when Floyd wouldn't let go and Maidana was trying to wrangle himself free for the hundredth time. Of course Foiyd had to cry to Bayless in an effort to get Maidana disqualified, crying that he was bit on the hand. Video replay shows Floyd putting Maidana in a headlock and smothering him with his palm across his mouth and nose. No clear evidence of a bite. Even Bayless said he couldn't see anything and after the fight Floyd still cried, showing his hands that didn't have a mark on them.

Jim Gray should be fired. His blatant bias and accusations toward Maidana were unprofessional and unfounded. He has always been a creep, but he sunk to a new low along with the ringside team who are bought and paid for by the network to talk up Floyd.

I know floyd fans will call this "boxing" and defensive genius. Anyone with two eyes and even a little knowledge and respect for the sport could not be happy with this fight.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:39 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
A disgraceful performance. Floyd spent the entire night running and clinching. Anytime Maidana got close on the inside Floyd grabbed him and tied him up or Bayless pulled them apart. Floyd spent so much time running and holding he threw less than 30 punches per round. The ringside analysts were at their all time pathetic worst, calling phantom punches that Floyd never landed and clearly making excuses for another boring performance by the coward.

The point deduction was outrageous. No prior warning and it came at a moment when Floyd wouldn't let go and Maidana was trying to wrangle himself free for the hundredth time. Of course Foiyd had to cry to Bayless in an effort to get Maidana disqualified, crying that he was bit on the hand. Video replay shows Floyd putting Maidana in a headlock and smothering him with his palm across his mouth and nose. No clear evidence of a bite. Even Bayless said he couldn't see anything and after the fight Floyd still cried, showing his hands that didn't have a mark on them.

Jim Gray should be fired. His blatant bias and accusations toward Maidana were unprofessional and unfounded. He has always been a creep, but he sunk to a new low along with the ringside team who are bought and paid for by the network to talk up Floyd.

I know floyd fans will call this "boxing" and defensive genius. Anyone with two eyes and even a little knowledge and respect for the sport could not be happy with this fight.
Tell 'em why you mad, son.

The only thing I agree with in your post is the part about the point deduction. I didn't think it was warranted. Otherwise, it was a fairly lopsided Mayweather victory. If the objective last night was "to hit but not get hit," then Mayweather did a pretty masterful job by that standard. He delivered more blows than Maidana and took a lot less. His footwork was excellent, as usual, and he successfully countered Maidana's offensives the entire night.

It was not close.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

The idea is not to get hit. Floyd is a jerk but he is a masterful fighter. Odd that you should speak of bias...

Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The idea is not to get hit. Floyd is a jerk but he is a masterful fighter. Odd that you should speak of bias...
Some people expect every fight to be a Roberto Duran-style brawlfest. It's certainly more entertaining to watch from a crowd perspective. Not so sure if it's the most interesting style from the perspective of true fans of the sweet science.

But styles make fights so it's good to have all of these contrasting styles in the sport.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM

B-Hop on FM's style.

Bernard Hopkins Breaks Down Why Canelo Lost - YouTube

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Most people understand the "hit" part, but don't quite comprehend the "but don't get hit" half of the equation. In my experience amongst friends, black people appreciate defense in any sport (football, basketball, boxing etc.) more than others, which is why PBF is so popular.

Most Latino, white American and white European fighters move forward and spend little time retreating. Perhaps it's the way they're taught?? I think the average black fighter will lean towards a defensive style if they have the quickness and reflexes to pull it off. It takes more skill to be a great defensive fighter, but it's highly efficient and can prolong your career.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
I think he should retire, retire on top of your game. He is 37 now and will be 38 in a few months and really have nothing else to prove.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Most Latino, white American and white European fighters move forward and spend little time retreating. Perhaps it's the way they're taught?? I think the average black fighter will lean towards a defensive style if they have the quickness and reflexes to pull it off. It takes more skill to be a great defensive fighter, but it's highly efficient and can prolong your career.
Different fighters employ different defensive strategies. A lot of Eastern European fighters, for example, rely on the "lean back" you see Vlad use so often. I think that's a fairly typical style of fighting in that part of the world.

Klitschko inspired boxing drill - YouTube

Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
I thought Mayweather was the clear winner, but man that ref was pissing me the hell off. Let them fight for Christ's sake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing