U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 AM

28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I had Mayweather winning by a much narrower margin. I felt each fighter clearly won four rounds a piece, the other four rounds were very difficult to score. They could have gone either way giving Floyd a slight edge. But that edge was more about what Manny didn't do than what Floyd did to win. I won't comment on injuries, questionable tactics, judges, or the lack of officiating. Nor will I comment to the trollish posters who come here for the sole purpose of rooting for Mayweather after the fact, and most of those doing so strictly on the basis of race. I've done a pretty decent job of ignoring those types for some time now.
We were clearly watching different fights.

I was frankly a bit surprised by how decisively Mayweather won. We know he is a better technical fighter than Pacquiao, but this fight almost looked easy. It's not like Mayweather was forced to do much more than he ordinarily does. It was another day in the office.

Pac threw 669 punches against Algieri and landed 229 of them (34%). Algieri was literally on a skateboard the entire fight. Against Mayweather, he only threw 429 punches and landed 81 of them (19%). .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
Default Great win for Floyd

Floyd's win was expected, as I have stated a few times over the years here. I never thought Manny had a chance, and I thought it was a great fight to watch. It was a chess match akin to Leonard-Benitez, and I enjoyed watching it. I especially was interested in seeing how aggressive and reckless Pacman was willing to get. Rather than putting constant pressure on Floyd, like one has to do to have a chance of beating him, he fought apprehensively and guarded, with the occasional flurry when he thought he had Floyd cornered. This is because Floyd proved far more dangerous than Pacman expected. Floyd was strong enough to earn Manny's respect, and Manny knew that if he tried to be too aggressive and reckless, he stood a good chance of getting knocked out.

Manny was supposed to kick Floyd's arse, and he had 12 rounds to impose his will. He couldn't however, because he was beaten by a far greater fighter. Manny should be thankful that Floyd didn't want to embarrass him like he did Gatti, or go for the knockout, in front of Manny's wife and family. If Floyd is brilliant enough to easily outbox the HOF fighter Manny, he had the ability to set him up for a knockout. I give credit to Floyd for exercising RESTRAINT. He decisively established his dominance over 12 rounds.

Some people are disappointed. The MMA crowd wants to see a Foreman-Lyle slugfest, culminating in a spectacular KO. They were hoping Manny would finally shut that offensive black man down. All these years, they have been screaming that Floyd is afraid of Manny, that he's ducking him. They said that Floyd couldn't be considered a great fighter until he beat Manny. Well, he did beat him. He was never afraid of Manny and he was never ducking Manny. By waiting, the worth of a matchup between the two of them became more valuable, and they both made more than they would've had they faced 5 years ago.

It doesn't matter how many times they fight, Manny can never beat Floyd, and never could. Kudos to Floyd. He demonstrated the most class. Manny was smiling, gracious, and hugging God before the fight. He was the good guy. After Floyd beat him, he wouldn't give his superior credit, claiming he won the fight, that he had a shoulder injury, and that Floyd wouldn't fight his fight. Manny is a dangerous fighter, a great fighter no doubt. Floyd is simply better.

Kudos to Floyd Mayweather Jr. He says he has one more fight, and I'm going to miss him when he leaves the sport. Great display of boxing. He has nothing left to prove.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
It doesn't matter how many times they fight, Manny can never beat Floyd, and never could.
That's how I felt. I felt like this would have been the result 99 times out of 100...even 5 years ago. It's not that often I feel bad for a guy in the ring but I felt kinda bad for Pac on Saturday night. There's simply a big gap (skillwise) between him and Mayweather.

From an entertainment perspective, the fight wasn't good at all. From a boxing perspective, it was a masterclass performance. I'm surprised I haven't come across any good post-fight video analysis yet. This fight was the perfect instructional video for young fighters trying to deal with aggressive guys attacking them on a straight line.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 AM

5,364 posts, read 5,998,429 times
http://melanoidnation.org/twitter-ex...over-pacquiao/

"Post racial society"

Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We were clearly watching different fights.

I was frankly a bit surprised by how decisively Mayweather won. We know he is a better technical fighter than Pacquiao, but this fight almost looked easy. It's not like Mayweather was forced to do much more than he ordinarily does. It was another day in the office.

Pac threw 669 punches against Algieri and landed 229 of them (34%). Algieri was literally on a skateboard the entire fight. Against Mayweather, he only threw 429 punches and landed 81 of them (19%). .
Floyd is a better, more seasoned runner than Algieri. Any time Manny got close enough on the inside, Floyd literally grabbed and held on. This was worse than a Hopkins fight.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:58 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,008,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Hmm, seems he earned it considering his racist remarks about Asians in the past. Floyd should feel right at home with the rest of those racist toolbags. But hey, thanks for stepping away from current events and politics forums long enough to stop by the boxing forum to stir up more of your race baiting nonsense.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Floyd is a better, more seasoned runner than Algieri. Any time Manny got close enough on the inside, Floyd literally grabbed and held on. This was worse than a Hopkins fight.
Manny is not much of an inside fighter or body puncher so it's not like he benefited much from close exchanges (FM just pushed him away in many instances anyway). Mayweather didn't grab all that much...the extent to which he did is being greatly exaggerated here. Sometimes I feel that his clinching and elbows are excessive, but Saturday was not one of those nights. As I stated earlier, most of the action was in the middle of the ring.

Pacquiao doesn't have a real jab and doesn't cut the ring off well. That's Textbook Rule No. 1 if you want to pressure an elusive fighter. Instead he tries to back guys up with this lunging sort of jab, which leaves him all kinds of open to counters. That's why Marquez gave him so much trouble over four fights; Mayweather simply took it to the next level.

This was one way traffic for most of the night. I'm ready to move on to Kirkland vs Alvarez, which will certainly be more entertaining than this fight was.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Floyd Mayweather Jr. rips Manny Pacquiao in racist video rant

Quote:
"I'm on vacation for about a year, about a year," Mayweather said. "As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump. We ain't worried about that. So they ain't gotta worry about me fighting the midget. Once I kick the midget ass, I don't want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. ... Once I stomp the midget, I'll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice."

Old 05-04-2015, 01:31 PM

6,307 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Floyd should have lost because he's such a bad person...right?

Not sure why people keep bringing these things "But but but Floyd has a criminal record...but but but Floyd is arrogant...but but but Floyd flashes his money..."

Gotta love all the excuses from the Pac Fanboys whenever his boy loses. Remember when he lost against Morales the first time they faced each other? It was because he had the wrong pair of socks. REALLY?! Oh man. What a bad sport. How about when he finished with his face in the canvas? I admit the excuses have been quite creative really. The best one I heard was that "Manny lost on purpose to lure Floyd to fight him."

Old 05-04-2015, 01:36 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Floyd should have lost because he's such a bad person...right?
I could give a s**t who won, if we actually saw an good fight.

He's a class act though, obviously:

Here's Floyd Mayweather's Son's Note Telling How His Dad Beat His Mom

And I don't like Manny's evangelical Christian hypocrisy either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or