U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:00 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,831,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Exactly! Floyd won't be remembered with The Ali's ,The Foreman's, Sugar Ray leonard's, Mike Tyson's of the world. Ask "boxing fans" to start naming all of Floyd's memorable fights, and they can't. What's his defining moment as a fighter? What are the great wars his been in?
The most ballsy I've seen him get was getting into the ring with Canelo. Canelo was lethal when he fought him (and to a degree still is) but it goes back to his style - Mayweather isn't a entertaining fighter to watch which is why I've maybe only seen a couple of his fights and those were re-run on a movie channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:01 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,563,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
I think the toughest fight Floyd has ever been in was when he was beating on women.

Ouch!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,373,949 times
Sorry if this has been posted already. I haven't read all the threads.

This video is spot on regarding the matchup & it was made before the fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCVh...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-04-2015, 07:49 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,563,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, one memorable fight will be the May night in Nevada where he completely shut down and neutralized the Fighter of the Decade's offense.
Lol, you think last Saturdays fight was a memorable? That's the fight 10 years from now 20 years you're going to tell your kids or grandkids about? The time mayweather beat a washed up pacquiao by decision, that he couldn't even knock him out.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 PM

1,116 posts, read 600,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Floyd's win was expected, as I have stated a few times over the years here. I never thought Manny had a chance, and I thought it was a great fight to watch. It was a chess match akin to Leonard-Benitez, and I enjoyed watching it. I especially was interested in seeing how aggressive and reckless Pacman was willing to get. Rather than putting constant pressure on Floyd, like one has to do to have a chance of beating him, he fought apprehensively and guarded, with the occasional flurry when he thought he had Floyd cornered. This is because Floyd proved far more dangerous than Pacman expected. Floyd was strong enough to earn Manny's respect, and Manny knew that if he tried to be too aggressive and reckless, he stood a good chance of getting knocked out.

Manny was supposed to kick Floyd's arse, and he had 12 rounds to impose his will. He couldn't however, because he was beaten by a far greater fighter. Manny should be thankful that Floyd didn't want to embarrass him like he did Gatti, or go for the knockout, in front of Manny's wife and family. If Floyd is brilliant enough to easily outbox the HOF fighter Manny, he had the ability to set him up for a knockout. I give credit to Floyd for exercising RESTRAINT. He decisively established his dominance over 12 rounds.

Some people are disappointed. The MMA crowd wants to see a Foreman-Lyle slugfest, culminating in a spectacular KO. They were hoping Manny would finally shut that offensive black man down. All these years, they have been screaming that Floyd is afraid of Manny, that he's ducking him. They said that Floyd couldn't be considered a great fighter until he beat Manny. Well, he did beat him. He was never afraid of Manny and he was never ducking Manny. By waiting, the worth of a matchup between the two of them became more valuable, and they both made more than they would've had they faced 5 years ago.

It doesn't matter how many times they fight, Manny can never beat Floyd, and never could. Kudos to Floyd. He demonstrated the most class. Manny was smiling, gracious, and hugging God before the fight. He was the good guy. After Floyd beat him, he wouldn't give his superior credit, claiming he won the fight, that he had a shoulder injury, and that Floyd wouldn't fight his fight. Manny is a dangerous fighter, a great fighter no doubt. Floyd is simply better.

Kudos to Floyd Mayweather Jr. He says he has one more fight, and I'm going to miss him when he leaves the sport. Great display of boxing. He has nothing left to prove.

Great post

Also would like to give a shout out to Pretty Boy's old man who is clearly one hell of a trainer...

Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,024,389 times
Quote:
Typical boring mayweather fight. Waste of money. I miss the days when guys used to go toe to toe and knock somebody the **** out. Mayweather is smart to play up his role as the villain, I think people only pay to watch his fights to see him lose, I hope nobody pays because they like his fighting style. After this fight boxing is probably dead anyway or a niche sport at best.
Boxing certainly lost some potential fans on this one. Casual fans who don't tune in often were disappointed to put it mildly. Not only does Floyd leave behind a hollow legacy full of opponents past their prime, he ends it on a low note with his run and clinch style. Greats like Whitaker and Toney could stand in front of an opponent and make them miss, then make them pay with great offense. Floyd is content to land just enough to win a round and then get on his roller skates. He has never shaken his amateur style of fighting. He is a welterweight version of Wladimir Klitschko. Yawn.

His Villian role is no act. He is who he is. He didn't pretend to beat all those women he slapped around and he didn't go to a make believe jail. His repeated racist and homophobic remarks have gone unchecked by the media. He wasn't playing a Villian when he assaulted his own security guards. He comes from a long line of low lives and he can't leave this sport soon enough. Now let's bring on Alvarez/ Kirkland.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:35 AM

969 posts, read 791,763 times

Old 05-05-2015, 07:39 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Quote:
Lol, you think last Saturdays fight was a memorable? That's the fight 10 years from now 20 years you're going to tell your kids or grandkids about? The time mayweather beat a washed up pacquiao by decision, that he couldn't even knock him out.
Shouldn't it be memorable? That was the night Mayweather systematically dismantled a living god.

Pacquiao is a flawed fighter. Mayweather would have exposed him in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2014. He gets too square when he comes in, he leaves his feet to punch, and he drops his rear hand whenever he jabs. Marquez was able to effectively exploit many of these flaws. FM more so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OXYhyyAIMc

Marquez was landing the same counter in earlier rounds only they didn't leave Manny face down on the canvass looking like a corpse. He also landed the same counter in their second fight in 2008.

So I'm not sure what Manny would have done differently in 2010. Earlier, I said that Mayweather would beat Manny 99 times out of 100. I'm now making that 100 times out of 100.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 AM

6,315 posts, read 6,105,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not only does Floyd leave behind a hollow legacy full of opponents past their prime
Past their prime? Tell Manny that who fought a weight-drained past his prime Oscar De La Hoya, a Ricky Hatton that Floyd schooled and KOed making that his first loss, a Margarito that was destroyed previously by Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto who was not only past his prime but fighting in a different weight.

Quote:
His Villian role is no act. He is who he is. He didn't pretend to beat all those women he slapped around and he didn't go to a make believe jail. His repeated racist and homophobic remarks have gone unchecked by the media. He wasn't playing a Villian when he assaulted his own security guards. He comes from a long line of low lives and he can't leave this sport soon enough. Now let's bring on Alvarez/ Kirkland.
Being a saint outside the ring doesn't have anything to do with him beating Manny and Manny is not necessarily a saint either. Manny lost, his fans should accept defeat and move on but whenever Manny loses there always seem to be all kinds of excuses as to why he lost .

Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,837,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I didn't think the fight was overly exciting. I do think the judges got it right though.
The Fight was disappointing. The results were only a part of it. Pacquio fought defensively like he was trying to hide instead of attack attack attack. I wanted to see Pacman attack more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or