U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:19 PM

28,269 posts, read 26,273,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
The Fight was disappointing. The results were only a part of it. Pacquio fought defensively like he was trying to hide instead of attack attack attack. I wanted to see Pacman attack more.
Competent counterpunchers make punchers gun shy. Manny in particular doesn't move his head when coming forward (and it's a big head!) and that big boulder becomes a target for a straight right hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ul9o8PdI9g

To get into attacking range, you need an effective jab, you need to be able to slip punches while moving forward and you need to be able to cut the ring off. Manny can't do any of those things. If you don't have a good jab (Maidana, DLH, etc.), I don't see any point stepping into the ring with FM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 12:22 PM

28,269 posts, read 26,273,936 times
This is how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzDbVagR7Po

Old 05-05-2015, 12:35 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,839,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Mayweather spent most of the fight being backed into a corner. This action from a fighter with a 5 inch reach advantage???? Really? Mayweather lost IMHO.
This happened, but Pacquio could not punch though. Pacquio fought like an aged warrior...he says he was hurt, but thats not the Pacman I am used to seeing.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think the comments by some sports fans/very casual boxing fans on here questioning why Mayweather won should be a major concern to the powers that be in boxing - simply put people have lost so much interest in boxing that many sports fans, in particular younger sports fans under the age of 25-30 I'm guessing, don't understand how fights are scored. As recently as 15-20 years ago, a much smaller percentage of casual boxing fans would have strongly questioned the decision IMO because they would have better understood how fights are scored.

The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight could prove to be both boxing's last great moment of glory and the event that hastened its permanent decline into marginalization in the sports universe, particularly relative to MMA.

Incidentally, like the majority of fans, I was rooting for Pacquiao, but I understand why Mayweather won the decision and agree he should have won the decision. Mayweather IMO fought an excellent, defensive tactical fight - which is what he normally does - and landed enough solid shots to clearly win a fight that was tight through 7 rounds.
I think this post is pretty spot on. Pacquiao let the fans down. This fight was pretty much on his shoulders to give fans what they wanted. He failed and fans will start walking away. Not sure if the sport can come back from this failure on Pacquiaos part.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:47 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,532,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I think this post is pretty spot on. Pacquiao let the fans down. This fight was pretty much on his shoulders to give fans what they wanted. He failed and fans will start walking away. Not sure if the sport can come back from this failure on Pacquiaos part.
Yup. I think we were all expecting Pacquiao to bring the fight to Mayweather, creating an exciting fight. But nope.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Competent counterpunchers make punchers gun shy. Manny in particular doesn't move his head when coming forward (and it's a big head!) and that big boulder becomes a target for a straight right hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ul9o8PdI9g

To get into attacking range, you need an effective jab, you need to be able to slip punches while moving forward and you need to be able to cut the ring off. Manny can't do any of those things. If you don't have a good jab (Maidana, DLH, etc.), I don't see any point stepping into the ring with FM.
dude why are you telling me this? I dont care.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yup. I think we were all expecting Pacquiao to bring the fight to Mayweather, creating an exciting fight. But nope.
i think Pacquiao knows that he let boxing fans down. That guy didnt look like Pacquiao at all. The fight was a failure. The full blame is on Pacquiao.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,370,782 times
And so it begins... and deservedly so.

Two fans file class-action lawsuit against Manny Pacquiao over undisclosed injury

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 PM

I want to touch on the racism and bigotry in this thread. If you strip the skin off of Mayweather and Pacquiao what do you have? Their bahaviors, attitudes, personalities, relationships and their words. You have different types of sports fans, those who root for the underdog, bangwagon riders, those who pick sides based who is competiting. If Pacquiao was black but had the same personality and friendliness he has now, the fans who are rooting for him in this fight would still root for Pacquiao. Pacquiao represents the poor, most of the world IS poor. He represents Christianity a very huge religious group. The idea that all black people should cheer for Mayweather because he is black is really interesting. I can totally understand why many white boxing fans would cheer for Pacquiao. Im not going to talk about the trouble Mayweather has gotten into. I will say many of his interviews have rubbed me the wrong way. Its one thing to be good at your profession, its another to be an aszhole or a jerk. This opinion could be subjective depending on who you ask. I see the "hey white guys your boy lost what now" post, but my question is what about the non white Pacquiao fans? What diss do you have for us? Is the attack on white fans based on all the Cops killing black boys in the news? Im curious to see why the race of Pacquiao fans is in question? PEACE

Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,762,992 times
People still takes this sport seriously? xD

"Money" nickname suits very well with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL4j3NC-yHY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or