U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:48 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times

Advertisements

It's pretty bad that Mayweather was getting booed even after he won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 11:50 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,024,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
and he is a boring fighter and not loved by the fans. When he retires NOBODY will miss him.

you expect when the fans gives him the biggest pay check in boxing history for Floyd to fight 12 full rounds, instead he was running and picking his spots.....if you call that the greatest ever then you don't know much about boxing and the greats.
No one said he was the greatest ever....so clearly you didn't actually read my comments. Read before you respond, son.

He is a boring fighter, but he's still great at what he does. There are plenty of better, bigger, stronger welterweights from the past that I'd put above Floyd. However, people don't like Floyd because he's not a slugger. He understands that it's all about hitting AND not getting hit. Floyd's problem is that he's much better at not getting hit than most any other fighter (any fighting discipline).

People want bar room brawl-type fights, but that's not boxing. It's certainly more entertaining for the average Joe, but it's still not boxing.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:51 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Based on the comments from other websites, it's clear that most people don't know anything about boxing. The point of boxing is to HIT AND AVOID GETTING HIT. Most westerners think you should just go in guns blazing and fire crap-loads of punches and eat left hooks for breakfast.

Floyd landed far more power punches and 60+ punches more overall while throwing about the same number of shots. He's a defensive wizard.
Yeah, I have to laugh when people are talking about how he runs, is scared, etc.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:52 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,150,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
I admit I don't know a lot about boxing even though I do like it and appreciate a good fight and this was the first time I watched Mayweather fight and what it seemed to me was that he was fighting not to lose and to just score a few points here and there while Pacquiao was fighting to win. Mayweather is so fast, great reflexes and extremely technical and he wasn't in danger at any moment, but I don't really care to watch another of his fights but I'd happily watch another Pacquiao fight.

I don't know how boxing is scored but in mma you get points for aggressiveness, I'm assuming that doesn't matter in boxing, does it?
What matters most is getting good, strong blows in on your opponent. It doesn't matter how those punches occur, whether it is through the offensive attack or defense into offense counterattack.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:52 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,754,725 times
he should get booed.....running in the 12th round when he should have closed the show like a true champion when the fans gave him the biggest paycheck in boxing history,

$100 per PPV? come on!!!......this was a disgrace and nobody is going to miss Floyd when he retires.........fans will celebrate when he leaves so Showtime will stop showing his specials in how of a A-hole he is.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
No one said he was the greatest ever....so clearly you didn't actually read my comments. Read before you respond, son.

He is a boring fighter, but he's still great at what he does. There are plenty of better, bigger, stronger welterweights from the past that I'd put above Floyd. However, people don't like Floyd because he's not a slugger. He understands that it's all about hitting AND not getting hit. Floyd's problem is that he's much better at not getting hit than most any other fighter (any fighting discipline).

People want bar room brawl-type fights, but that's not boxing. It's certainly more entertaining for the average Joe, but it's still not boxing.

people don't like Floyd for many reasons off the ring and in the ring.........one thing is to box and another thing is to get on your bike and hold especially in the 12th finally round when the fans pays you the biggest check in boxing history.

again, if this is the style you like then boxing is in trouble.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:56 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
The ESPN Analyst had his score card like this. I have to agree. Floyd did have great footwork to elude his opponent in the the latter rounds while scoring points here and there. I don't want to see a rematch. Not worth the money if you had paid to see it this time around. Just glad i watched it for free online.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The ESPN Analyst had his score card like this. I have to agree. Floyd did have great footwork to elude his opponent in the the latter rounds while scoring points here and there. I don't want to see a rematch. Not worth the money if you had paid to see it this time around. Just glad i watched it for free online.

now i know boxing is going to shiat!......12th round for Floyd for running????? he was on his bike because he knew he had the fight on points.

12th round for Floyd????? LMAO!!!!!

Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,471,619 times
48-0.. Cry about it... Let the tears flow...

Old 05-03-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
48-0.. Cry about it... Let the tears flow...

doesn't mean anything if the fans don't respect him, he is not loved by the fans.......nobody is going to miss floyd when he retires.....except the people that wish they had his money and shallow life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or