Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:31 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I agree AND I'd like to add they knew how Floyd was going to fight before going to it and while training, and Manny looked worse than some of Floyds other recent opponent. If Manny wasn't able to catch Floyd, cut off the ring, or make Floyd fight his fight, then that's Manny's failure.
You're joking, right? It's Manny's fault that Floyd's a runner? I was not aware that it was a foot race/marathon. I thought it was suppose to be a boxing match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:44 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Mayweather proved he is exactly as good as he thinks he is, and is deserving of a 48-0 record. He won, whether you got out of the fight as a fan whatever it was you were looking for.

The object of boxing is to win. There is nothing in the rules to say make the fans happy by throwing hay-makers all night and letting yourself get pummeled. Supposedly Mayweather hit on 148 of 435 punches. Nothing too impressive. But what was impressive was Pacquiao hitting on only 81 or 429 punches. Mayweather took away from his opponent his strength, seeing that Pacquiao normally throws around 700 punches. And the landed % for Manny was horrible. Mayweather dodges bullets - it's his fighting style. He showed his greatness.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
And the winner by "SPRINT Decision" . . . floyd mayweather jrrrrrrrr.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times

Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I guess when you have no technical argument, you can throw up silly internet memes.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Based on the comments from other websites, it's clear that most people don't know anything about boxing. The point of boxing is to HIT AND AVOID GETTING HIT. Most westerners think you should just go in guns blazing and fire crap-loads of punches and eat left hooks for breakfast.

Floyd landed far more power punches and 60+ punches more overall while throwing about the same number of shots. He's a defensive wizard.
Exactly right, who didn't love Hagler vs Hearns? Or Gatti vs Ward 1, 2, and 3. Those fights aren't reality, look what happened to Taylor after he traded all night with Chavez, Taylor got screwed but that fight ruined his life.

Getting your head caved in, isn't what boxing is all about, those are hockey fights it isn't called the sweet science for nothing. Mayweather will win his next two and go out 50-0. The toughest fight I saw him in wasn't Maidana, it was Cotto, but that was after Margarito plastered Cotto's head with concrete gloves. Mayweather and Pacquiao both wanted no part of Cotto until Margarito beat him down.

The only guy right now who has a shot at Mayweather is GGG, maybe after Floyd go's 50-0 he'll do it for one last big payday.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I gotta admit this is the first time seeing Mayweather and Pacman fight. I left boxing back in the 80s. For those who say Mayweather is the greatest must not be old enough to have watched boxing in the 80s or even earlier. Sugar Ray Leonard, Hearns, and Hagler woulda knocked Mayweather out cold. Mayweather might be the best in his era, but any of those boxers i mentioned would've knocked him out cold. Heck, even Roberto Duran would've taken him down. One thing i am pretty certain, Floyd will have a healthy life after boxing. It was smart to be on the defensive with his strategy...shouldn't have any brain issues down the road once career over. He just better be careful with the people surrounding him after his career is over. I'm sure leeches or freeloaders will want some of that $$$.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's been well-established for almost 20 years now how Mayweather fights....not sure why they were expecting Ali vs Foreman, when the only possible outcomes were Floyd winning on points, or (slimmer chance) Paquiao winning by TKO. If you don't like Floyd's style why are you watching him?
That's the other part, Mayweather his dad, and uncle have fragile hands, it's something he was born with, so expecting to see Mayweather come out and throw like Manny is crazy.

Pacquiao should be given credit for seemingly always fighting the bigger guy, Margarito had him by almost 20lbs on fight night, Mayweather has a much bigger frame than Manny as well, His power came at the 140lb class and under, will Mayweather have the guts to fight a GGG who is bigger? That remains to be seen.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think the comments by some sports fans/very casual boxing fans on here questioning why Mayweather won should be a major concern to the powers that be in boxing - simply put people have lost so much interest in boxing that many sports fans, in particular younger sports fans under the age of 25-30 I'm guessing, don't understand how fights are scored. As recently as 15-20 years ago, a much smaller percentage of casual boxing fans would have strongly questioned the decision IMO because they would have better understood how fights are scored.

The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight could prove to be both boxing's last great moment of glory and the event that hastened its permanent decline into marginalization in the sports universe, particularly relative to MMA.

Incidentally, like the majority of fans, I was rooting for Pacquiao, but I understand why Mayweather won the decision and agree he should have won the decision. Mayweather IMO fought an excellent, defensive tactical fight - which is what he normally does - and landed enough solid shots to clearly win a fight that was tight through 7 rounds.
I think that's why MMA took off so fast - casual fans didn't have to understand the technical side (what many consider boring) of how fights are scored. If the fan sees a guy get knocked out, submitted or bloodied up - they know who won the fight. If a casual fan watches a fight like Floyd/Manny they may be scratching their head wondering who won and where was the entertainment. I do think MMA will eventually go the route of boxing whereby fighters will be so skilled and evenly matched that fights become "boring" ("all they do is lay on top of each other"). On a larger scale, where does the sport of boxing go from here? Can most of the casual fans even name a boxer other than Manny or Floyd? What's the next biggest draw? Do people really care to see Floyd out tactical some guy they've never heard of? How about the now "beaten by Floyd" Manny take on someone else? Do the fighters in other weight classes even exist to casual fans?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:16 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Was the fight any good? Was it entertaining at all?

I am a fairly big boxing fan, but I grew so tired of the rhetoric about this fight I didn't even have a desire to see it last night, and I didn't (I was working, as it were, anyway) so was the fight any good?

I've seen Gay...I mean Mayweather fight before, and he is in fact not an entertaining "boxer" - so I have an idea of how it went. But wouldn't mind getting some opinions from people here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing