U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 AM

2,869 posts, read 2,828,489 times

Advertisements

Ga...I mean Mayweather wants no part of Golovkin...no way. Although Ga...I mean Mayweather is the best runner I have probably ever seen, so maybe even still he would come out the victor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM

1,850 posts, read 2,456,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Was the fight any good? Was it entertaining at all?

I am a fairly big boxing fan, but I grew so tired of the rhetoric about this fight I didn't even have a desire to see it last night, and I didn't (I was working, as it were, anyway) so was the fight any good?

I've seen Gay...I mean Mayweather fight before, and he is in fact not an entertaining "boxer" - so I have an idea of how it went. But wouldn't mind getting some opinions from people here...
Tim Duncan isn't an entertaining basketball player neither. He'll go down as one of the greatest to ever suit up for the hardwood.

In addition you insult Money and the Gay community. You use the word Gay as if it's a bad thing. You COULD have had a worthwhile argument worthy of respect but you had to rise to the lowest common denominator with the Gay remarks.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 2,828,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Tim Duncan isn't an entertaining basketball player neither. He'll go down as one of the greatest to ever suit up for the hardwood.
Good. Muhammed Ali had numerous losses - and he is universally recognized as the GOAT. Losses doesn't make a legend any (much) lesser...Ali is proof of that.

Mayweather lined his pockets...and he ducked like a b*tch his entire career. That's what I'll remember him for.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times
Quote:

I am a fairly big boxing fan, but I grew so tired of the rhetoric about this fight I didn't even have a desire to see it last night, and I didn't (I was working, as it were, anyway) so was the fight any good?

I've seen Gay...I mean Mayweather fight before, and he is in fact not an entertaining "boxer" - so I have an idea of how it went. But wouldn't mind getting some opinions from people here...
From the perspective of someone that does really follow boxing other than watching highlights - there was no entertainment. It basically looked like a couple guys feeling each other out. There were maybe 2-3 punches that got the fighters attention but even those didn't really stagger them at all.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:35 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,471,619 times
Quote:
Ga...I mean Mayweather wants no part of Golovkin...no way. Although Ga...I mean Mayweather is the best runner I have probably ever seen, so maybe even still he would come out the victor.
That's the difference between a 48-0 pound for pound best, and a guy with 6 loses, two draws, and who was knocked out cold face first on the canvas.

What you call running, those who know about boxing call defense. Not leaving yourself open to be hit or countered. Not taking more punishment than necessary. Sticking and MOVING. Most importantly, not being KO'd at 2:59 in round 6 because you're all offence and no defense..

Oh okay, now that you all can't accuse Mayweather of ducking and being scared of Manny. Now that you can't claim that Manny will wipe the floor with him, like you all have been doing for 5 years, I guess it's time to change goal post again to the next light skinned hope... Now it's going to be that Floyd is scared to fight Golovkin, and he cherry picked Manny because he was over the hill (forgetting that before the fight you all had Manny winning)... When Floyd beats Golovkin, they're be another boogie man to take his place that you all will rest your hopes on while paying $$$$ and watching Floyd get riching based on your hate and longing to see him lose...

Old 05-03-2015, 10:37 AM

1,850 posts, read 2,456,437 times
AFTER
Quote:
LOL....you tried to clean it up. Hopefully the Mod responds to my request. I know they are 2 different posts but you're still using the term.

BEFORE
Quote:

Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I guess when you have no technical argument, you can throw up silly internet memes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
In addition you insult Money and the Gay community. You use the word Gay as if it's a bad thing. You COULD have had a worthwhile argument worthy of respect but you had to rise to the lowest common denominator with the Gay remarks.
The title of this thread is: Mayweather Wins - Thoughts? In other words, people may post their thoughts.
It doesn't say: Mayweather Wins - Technical Arguments?
Nor does it say: Mayweather Wins - Worthwhile Arguments?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,471,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
From the perspective of someone that does really follow boxing other than watching highlights - there was no entertainment. It basically looked like a couple guys feeling each other out. There were maybe 2-3 punches that got the fighters attention but even those didn't really stagger them at all.

The best defensive fighter made the arguably best offensive fight his fight. Floyd fans expected this from the start, but Manny fans are butt hurt because Manny couldn't make it a slug fest (aka a street fight). Manny was out BOXED. I enjoyed seeing it. Floyd even landed more punches. If anyone is to blame his it's Manny and his trainer for not being competent, prepared, and skilled enough to cut off the ring and FORCE Floyd to fight his fight.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 AM

8,083 posts, read 5,285,220 times
People are upset because of the media hype around this fight. The fight of the century, one of the best boxing matches in history, etc. This fight was not worth $300 million and it was not a fight of the century, etc.

Mayweather is one of the best defensive tactical boxers. His fight will appear boring to the common person but there is a lot of skillset behind the way he fights. (it's not running). This is how he always fights. Why buy a PPV in the hopes of someone losing??? In the end, Mayweather wins. He played the game. He knew that his fighting style and weight class would bring no $$$$ so he became a heel. ( a bad guy - the arrogant, money obsessed, etc boxer) I mean people bought his PPVs just in the hope of seeing him lose. (LOL)

He has a perfect record and a net worth of 280 million+ with no head trauma.

What other boxer can say that?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:16 AM

517 posts, read 566,980 times
The real winner was the people who didn't pay $100 to watch this boring dance around the ring.

Here's a great comment from another forum that I think sums up the situation very well:
Quote:
Congratulations Mayweather, you got what you wanted; a Manny Pacquiao that clearly is far past his prime and is a shell of his former self. You just got paid 200 million dollars to run and go backwards, and cherry pick a fight that should have happened 5 years ago, because you knew you would have lost. What a ****ing travesty for boxing fans.

We were robbed of a fight we deserved, because you're so scared of that undefeated record being broken. I'll admit, Mayweather did win this fight on the score cards, but I can't respect you at all. I can't put you with the greats. Anyone who thinks this is "defense" or being a "technician" is a ****ing idiot. Sure, dancing around and running will win you decisions, but you're still a *****. How can anyone root for this man or think he's great? He's a *****.

Congrats on ducking Manny until you knew you would win. That's not boxing to me, there's more than just winning and a great record when it comes to being a great, you have to go toe to toe and actually fight other greats to solidify yourself as better thant hat man. And I watched it, Flloyd was his same old self. He is scared to go toe to toe. Sure, what he did is smart to win on score cards and keep that undefeated record, and logically the objective is to win; but I can't respect that strategy or put him up there with the greats. Anyone who thinks that was a good fight or Mayweather was great is fooling themselves.

I won't lie, Manny looked awful also, his former self had fury in his punches and was just as fast as Mayweather. Pacquiao used to be active and move his feet. It's sad to see such a great look so bad, but Flloyd knew this would happen and ducked all these years. It's no secret that he avoided him when they were in their prime, that's well documented. I'm just pissed for myself and all boxing fans, we were robbed of a great fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or