U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:31 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,473,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
The real winner was the people who didn't pay $100 to watch this boring dance around the ring.

Here's a great comment from another forum that I think sums up the situation very well:
BUT.. BUT.. Right up till before the fight and for the last 5 years, you all claimed Floyd was a cherry picking ducker who Manny would destroy. Manny was going to knock Floyd out. Then only 1 hour later when the fight is over, you all get amnesia, Manny was over the hill, and Floyd "knew" he would win when just a couple a months ago RIGHT BEFORE the fight was announced, you all claim he was ducking Manny because he knew he wound lose.

It's all are kind of pathetic if you ask me. You all change goal post and flip flop whenever it suits you.

Last edited by DoniDanko; 05-03-2015 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 12:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
I've been an opponent of boxing in principle for decades, but now, geez, so what? Two guys weighing 145 pounds hitting each other with pillows on their hands, and as far as I could see, neither one of them took a hit to the head. All for a measly quarter of a billion dollars.

I rather like the Philippine national anthem. The highlight of an evening that people paid a hundred bucks for.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:52 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,830,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post

Oh okay, now that you all can't accuse Mayweather of ducking and being scared of Manny. Now that you can't claim that Manny will wipe the floor with him, like you all have been doing for 5 years, I guess it's time to change goal post again to the next light skinned hope... Now it's going to be that Floyd is scared to fight Golovkin, and he cherry picked Manny because he was over the hill (forgetting that before the fight you all had Manny winning)... When Floyd beats Golovkin, they're be another boogie man to take his place that you all will rest your hopes on while paying $$$$ and watching Floyd get riching based on your hate and longing to see him lose...
What the f--k?

HE DID DUCK HIM...FOR FIVE YEARS. He waited for a older and more beat Pacquiao to fight. Undeniable.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
AFTER

LOL....you tried to clean it up. Hopefully the Mod responds to my request. I know they are 2 different posts but you're still using the term.

BEFORE
Oh crist....

Cry me a f--king river.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:55 PM

5,217 posts, read 5,873,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been an opponent of boxing in principle for decades, but now, geez, so what? Two guys weighing 145 pounds hitting each other with pillows on their hands, and as far as I could see, neither one of them took a hit to the head. All for a measly quarter of a billion dollars.

I rather like the Philippine national anthem. The highlight of an evening that people paid a hundred bucks for.
Yes, that kind of boxing is more or less family-friendly. It is a far cry from the brutality of Mike Tyson.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
From the perspective of someone that does really follow boxing other than watching highlights - there was no entertainment. It basically looked like a couple guys feeling each other out. There were maybe 2-3 punches that got the fighters attention but even those didn't really stagger them at all.
This is exactly why I (a fairly regular watcher of the sport) had absolutely NO DESIRE to WATCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
People are upset because of the media hype around this fight. The fight of the century, one of the best boxing matches in history, etc. This fight was not worth $300 million and it was not a fight of the century, etc.

Mayweather is one of the best defensive tactical boxers. His fight will appear boring to the common person but there is a lot of skillset behind the way he fights. (it's not running). This is how he always fights. Why buy a PPV in the hopes of someone losing??? In the end, Mayweather wins. He played the game. He knew that his fighting style and weight class would bring no $$$$ so he became a heel. ( a bad guy - the arrogant, money obsessed, etc boxer) I mean people bought his PPVs just in the hope of seeing him lose. (LOL)

He has a perfect record and a net worth of 280 million+ with no head trauma.

What other boxer can say that?
Not me. I was not duped into this charade of a match. Floyd is a beeyotch who has been since forever.

I was not going to be suckered into this fiasco of a "fight."

Old 05-03-2015, 01:07 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,866,251 times
Mayweather is what's wrong with this country. He is stupid racist who bashes Asians but where is the outcry? Black celebrities except Beyonce and her hubby, generally don't want associate themselves with a woman beater and racist who walks around with a duffel bag filed with cash. The man us illiterate and won't use his money to better himself. Sad.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I gotta admit this is the first time seeing Mayweather and Pacman fight. I left boxing back in the 80s. For those who say Mayweather is the greatest must not be old enough to have watched boxing in the 80s or even earlier. Sugar Ray Leonard, Hearns, and Hagler woulda knocked Mayweather out cold. Mayweather might be the best in his era, but any of those boxers i mentioned would've knocked him out cold. Heck, even Roberto Duran would've taken him down. One thing i am pretty certain, Floyd will have a healthy life after boxing. It was smart to be on the defensive with his strategy...shouldn't have any brain issues down the road once career over. He just better be careful with the people surrounding him after his career is over. I'm sure leeches or freeloaders will want some of that $$$.
The era of Hagler (from Brockton where I have lived and now live next to), Hearns, Leonard - that was the end for the most part myself regularly watching boxing.

You may think any one of them could have knocked Mayweather out, but his defensive style can mitigate most anyone's power because Mayweather just doesn't allow himself to get hit much. It's not a fan friendly style, but 48-0 is, well, 48-0.

Being a local boxer, Hagler was my favorite. But I think the one boxer that could possibly have beaten Mayweather with both in their prime was Leonard. Of course the others could potentially, but Hagler and Hearns relied too much on their power, and Mayweather can keep himself out of harms way with the best of them. I was never a fan of Duran, and his No Mas fight was classic to me.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:41 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,020,224 times
I had Mayweather winning by a much narrower margin. I felt each fighter clearly won four rounds a piece, the other four rounds were very difficult to score. They could have gone either way giving Floyd a slight edge. But that edge was more about what Manny didn't do than what Floyd did to win. I won't comment on injuries, questionable tactics, judges, or the lack of officiating. Nor will I comment to the trollish posters who come here for the sole purpose of rooting for Mayweather after the fact, and most of those doing so strictly on the basis of race. I've done a pretty decent job of ignoring those types for some time now.

The fight itself, as I predicted in many threads before, was a flop. It could not possibly live up to the hype, no fight involving Mayweather could ever live up to the hype. He is not an entertaining fighter. He is an excellent defensive fighter, but he built his legacy on the biggest names past their primes. His M.O. has been to wait until they lose a step or have nothing left, and move in for a lackluster win. In recent years he has relied heavily on running, clinching, forearms and elbows, holding, and illegal punches. He has to have every possible advantage in order to gain his edge. Whether it is ring size, gloves, judges, refs, venue location, size/weight, etc. To the casual fan he appears greater than he is, to real fans of the sport, he is smoke and mirrors, flash before substance. This has been my criticism of him since the beginning. Long before the Mayweather/Pacquiao saga began.

Fortunately a majority of his fans are mouth-breathers who will slip back into obscurity and forget all about him once he has retired. Years from now, he will be relinquished to the status of other great athletes of the past such as Ty Cobb, Franco Harris, Scottie Pippin, and a slew of other statistically great athletes who are never talked about.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I had Mayweather winning by a much narrower margin. I felt each fighter clearly won four rounds a piece, the other four rounds were very difficult to score. They could have gone either way giving Floyd a slight edge. But that edge was more about what Manny didn't do than what Floyd did to win. I won't comment on injuries, questionable tactics, judges, or the lack of officiating. Nor will I comment to the trollish posters who come here for the sole purpose of rooting for Mayweather after the fact, and most of those doing so strictly on the basis of race. I've done a pretty decent job of ignoring those types for some time now.

The fight itself, as I predicted in many threads before, was a flop. It could not possibly live up to the hype, no fight involving Mayweather could ever live up to the hype. He is not an entertaining fighter. He is an excellent defensive fighter, but he built his legacy on the biggest names past their primes. His M.O. has been to wait until they lose a step or have nothing left, and move in for a lackluster win. In recent years he has relied heavily on running, clinching, forearms and elbows, holding, and illegal punches. He has to have every possible advantage in order to gain his edge. Whether it is ring size, gloves, judges, refs, venue location, size/weight, etc. To the casual fan he appears greater than he is, to real fans of the sport, he is smoke and mirrors, flash before substance. This has been my criticism of him since the beginning. Long before the Mayweather/Pacquiao saga began.

Fortunately a majority of his fans are mouth-breathers who will slip back into obscurity and forget all about him once he has retired. Years from now, he will be relinquished to the status of other great athletes of the past such as Ty Cobb, Franco Harris, Scottie Pippin, and a slew of other statistically great athletes who are never talked about.
Good post. Pretty much all the way through I agree with what you said, particuarly the fight "was a flop" line. (and basically everything else you said).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or