Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Manny is not much of an inside fighter or body puncher so it's not like he benefited much from close exchanges (FM just pushed him away in many instances anyway). Mayweather didn't grab all that much...the extent to which he did is being greatly exaggerated here. Sometimes I feel that his clinching and elbows are excessive, but Saturday was not one of those nights. As I stated earlier, most of the action was in the middle of the ring.
I thought Mayweather clutched a lot early in the fight, but that decreased as the fight progressed...and as Pacquiao became less offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 02:40 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I thought Mayweather clutched a lot early in the fight, but that decreased as the fight progressed...and as Pacquiao became less offensive.
I thought Mayweather came out and established the jab early. That allowed him to dictate the range for most of the night. People pay lip service to the jab ("It's the most important punch in boxing!") but many fighters don't work at it the way they should imo. Those jabs were hard and crisp and they kept Pac at bay early on. It's also a very versatile jab that he used to plunge into Pacquiao's stomach occasionally.

Pacquiao is an exciting figher, but he's not a good technical fighter. He hasn't shown that he can fight moving backwards, he doesn't have a great jab, he can't fight in the pocket, he can't cut off the ring and he moves at people in straight lines. I will give him credit for effectively countering Mayweather's lead right a few times. But overall, he was just too limited in ability to give Mayweather any real problems.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Pacquiao is an exciting figher, but he's not a good technical fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_jNgC9TuM

Old 05-04-2015, 05:56 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Yikes...
OMG! Typo alert!

Old 05-04-2015, 06:14 PM

This guy puts together the best video analysis I've seen on the internet thus far. Pretty good list of the things that would make him vulnerable to Mayweather (or any competent counterpuncher for that matter).

-Jumps two feet in the air
-Always off balance
-shoots straight left hand across his body LOL
-does the splits after a straight left
-jumping around the ring, terrible footwork
-can't move his head-uppercut himself
-can't deal with right hands LOL
-feints make him anxious
-bow and arrow with the jab LMAO
-Wide open every time for right hand
-fighting at 140 against guys with 8 KO LOL

Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Typical boring mayweather fight. Waste of money. I miss the days when guys used to go toe to toe and knock somebody the **** out. Mayweather is smart to play up his role as the villain, I think people only pay to watch his fights to see him lose, I hope nobody pays because they like his fighting style. After this fight boxing is probably dead anyway or a niche sport at best.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What matters to each individual is - did/does a certain fighter or athlete entertain you and bring a smile to your face.

While Mayweather's fighting style may not be entertaining for a lot of folks, he does a good job at playing the heel and that makes people watch. A fan may know they wont enjoy the action, but they can certainly cheer for the heel to go down. With that said, will people be watching Mayweather fights on Youtube in 25 years like they do Tyson's? I doubt it. The majority of viewers are casual fans that enjoy athletes pressing the action. Mayweather presses the action with his words and persona.
Exactly! Floyd won't be remembered with The Ali's ,The Foreman's, Sugar Ray leonard's, Mike Tyson's of the world. Ask "boxing fans" to start naming all of Floyd's memorable fights, and they can't. What's his defining moment as a fighter? What are the great wars his been in?

Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think the comments by some sports fans/very casual boxing fans on here questioning why Mayweather won should be a major concern to the powers that be in boxing - simply put people have lost so much interest in boxing that many sports fans, in particular younger sports fans under the age of 25-30 I'm guessing, don't understand how fights are scored. As recently as 15-20 years ago, a much smaller percentage of casual boxing fans would have strongly questioned the decision IMO because they would have better understood how fights are scored.

The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight could prove to be both boxing's last great moment of glory and the event that hastened its permanent decline into marginalization in the sports universe, particularly relative to MMA.

Incidentally, like the majority of fans, I was rooting for Pacquiao, but I understand why Mayweather won the decision and agree he should have won the decision. Mayweather IMO fought an excellent, defensive tactical fight - which is what he normally does - and landed enough solid shots to clearly win a fight that was tight through 7 rounds.
MMA passed Boxing as the preferred combat sport in this country(especially amongst young people) a long time ago. It's a little too late to be worried and after last Saturdays fight, boxing has nobody to blame but themselves.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Typical boring mayweather fight. Waste of money. I miss the days when guys used to go toe to toe and knock somebody the **** out. Mayweather is smart to play up his role as the villain, I think people only pay to watch his fights to see him lose, I hope nobody pays because they like his fighting style. After this fight boxing is probably dead anyway or a niche sport at best.
I think he's a once in a lifetime talent/genius. Nothing boring about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSJqpOkgRo

Old 05-04-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Exactly! Floyd won't be remembered with The Ali's ,The Foreman's, Sugar Ray leonard's, Mike Tyson's of the world. Ask "boxing fans" to start naming all of Floyd's memorable fights, and they can't. What's his defining moment as a fighter? What are the great wars his been in?
Well, one memorable fight will be the May night in Nevada where he completely shut down and neutralized the Fighter of the Decade's offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing