Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:38 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the segment this month on HBO's Real Sports about Tyson Fury? You talk about a screwed up family AND traditions. He grew up a "Traveler" which is another term for European gypsy. His immediate family basically came from Ireland and resettled in Manchester England with money his father made from bare knuckle fighting. Apparently bare knuckle fighting is a proud tradition of the Traveler people and his family has been especially adept at it for generations.

I saw this on HBO last night and it will be rerun I'm sure quite a few times yet. If you're a boxing fan, you'll want to see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 03:33 AM

465 posts, read 418,260 times
Huge Boxing fan. I watched it. The interview helped me understand his thought process, but I still think he is idiot that will get smoked by a good opponent.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Calling Wladimir Klitschko or Deontay Wilder; Either of you two please shut this clown up. He is not fit to represetn the heavyweight division with his childish antics. So tired of him.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Calling Wladimir Klitschko or Deontay Wilder; Either of you two please shut this clown up. He is not fit to represetn the heavyweight division with his childish antics. So tired of him.
Klitschko already had his shot, although the two have apparently signed to fight again in July.

It was a really terrible fight last time, I can't see anyone buying the rematch.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Klitschko already had his shot, although the two have apparently signed to fight again in July.

It was a really terrible fight last time, I can't see anyone buying the rematch.
Still hope Wladimir wins in July against Tyson.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Still hope Wladimir wins in July against Tyson.
After Klitschko's performance in the last fight, I can't see him really giving Fury his comeuppance. He might win a decision, but I'd just as soon seem Fury take on someone with a little bit more.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:29 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
The irony of his background and views on other 'minorities' was classic. The guy is an idiot and a bigot, like I said, ironically. Watching the fight he has zero skill, he's just a giant. It's no wonder the heavyweight division is dead and unwatchable.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:40 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
I know people like to criticize the heavyweight division, but it's no fault of the fighters - they can only fight those who show up to challenge them, right? If better fighters exist - where are they? I'm not sure if I'm buying that they are all in the NFL. Pro football represents what percentage of the world's 200+ lb men? Surely all the world's big men aren't looking to the NFL. And I imagine most parents know if their 13/14 yr old looks like possible NFL talent...why not involve the kids in boxing?

The money/fame seems to be there too. I don't keep up with boxing much, but it looks like fighters like Adamek, Pulev, Haye, Fury, Glakov, Wilder, Povetkin, Vitali, Wlad, etc have all made millions at a young age.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:01 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I know people like to criticize the heavyweight division, but it's no fault of the fighters - they can only fight those who show up to challenge them, right? If better fighters exist - where are they? I'm not sure if I'm buying that they are all in the NFL. Pro football represents what percentage of the world's 200+ lb men? Surely all the world's big men aren't looking to the NFL. And I imagine most parents know if their 13/14 yr old looks like possible NFL talent...why not involve the kids in boxing?
The fighters aren't actually in the NFL. It's just that the allure of a football/basketball career siphons off a lot of athletes from the fight game. Consequently, the heavyweight division sees more and more fighters like Deontay Wilder and Bryant Jennings who didn't pick up boxing until their 20s. Tyson, Holyfield and Ali all started training around 12-13. So there is a very noticeable skill gap between this generation and the previous generation that took up the sport very early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The money/fame seems to be there too. I don't keep up with boxing much, but it looks like fighters like Adamek, Pulev, Haye, Fury, Glakov, Wilder, Povetkin, Vitali, Wlad, etc have all made millions at a young age.
Not really. Sure, champions get paid, but didn't Ruslan Provodnikov get paid like $10,000 for a fight not that long ago? Boxing pays out more to its top and lower tiers than MMA, but significantly less than the NBA or NFL. The lowest paid guy in the NFL earns at least $450,000 a year and doesn't have to pay for airfare, trainers, hotels, etc.

The big names in boxing aren't a good barometer of how lucrative the sport is for the average professional boxer. Most guys are fighting just for the chance to lose to a top-ranked fighter. So it's not like the money is all that attractive when there are plenty of other sports with significantly higher payouts and significantly less hazard.

In the 50s and 60s, boxing was more competitive with the NBA/NFL in terms of financial reward. That's hardly true in 2016 with the exception of a few top guys.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:25 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The fighters aren't actually in the NFL. It's just that the allure of a football/basketball career siphons off a lot of athletes from the fight game. Consequently, the heavyweight division sees more and more fighters like Deontay Wilder and Bryant Jennings who didn't pick up boxing until their 20s. Tyson, Holyfield and Ali all started training around 12-13. So there is a very noticeable skill gap between this generation and the previous generation that took up the sport very early on.
But the NFL can siphon off their ~500 potential heavyweights and that still leaves billions of men all over the world, right? And I'm sure there were still plenty of men back in the 60s that wanted to be NFL players rather than boxers...maybe a lesser percentage than now, but probably still more. Personally, I don't know any older men that boxed as teens, but I know plenty that played high school football. And heck, the NFL isn't even popular outside of the US so it's really just a drop in the bucket.

It seems like we can say "where are the great American heavyweights of the 60s/70s/80s" but couldn't we also say where were the great European heavyweights during the 60s/70s/80s?

Quote:
Not really. Sure, champions get paid, but didn't Ruslan Provodnikov get paid like $10,000 for a fight not that long ago? Boxing pays out more to its top and lower tiers than MMA, but significantly less than the NBA or NFL. The lowest paid guy in the NFL earns at least $450,000 a year and doesn't have to pay for airfare, trainers, hotels, etc.
$450k sounds like a lot until you realize the average NFL career is only 3 years. That's only $1.4M. After taxes, they are probably living like the common man if they don't have a backup plan and strict budget.

Quote:
The big names in boxing aren't a good barometer of how lucrative the sport is for the average professional boxer. Most guys are fighting just for the chance to lose to a top-ranked fighter. So it's not like the money is all that attractive when there are plenty of other sports with significantly higher payouts and significantly less hazard.
My guess is that the median boxer salary has always been lower than the major sports. I mean, is the 200th ranked heavyweight in 1965 making more money than an average football or baseball player? Median family income was around $6500 in 1965...from what I can look up, the average football player made around $35k in 1965. That's nearly 5x median family income. Would kids nowadays still want to play traditional sports if they were paid MD money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing