Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:56 PM

340 posts, read 266,144 times

Advertisements

Prime Mike Tyson was about as close as you could get to an unbeatable fighter. He had lightning fast hands, great head movement, relentless pressure, and could knock you out with either hand.

Is there any fighter in history who you would favor over a prime Tyson? I'd say Vitali Klitschko. He was tall, rangy, awkward, had a granite chin, and had a high workrate for his size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Since we are talking about a prime Mike Tyson, then only heavyweights are being considered and not true Pound For Pound fighters.

I think the following fighters would beat him:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Jack Johnson
3. Joe Louis

Even money would be placed on the following fighters:

4. Joe Frazier
5. George Forman
6. Larry Holmes

Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
If you Google Mike Tyson vs Muhammad Ali you get lots of interesting analyses.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Prime Mike Tyson was about as close as you could get to an unbeatable fighter. He had lightning fast hands, great head movement, relentless pressure, and could knock you out with either hand.

Is there any fighter in history who you would favor over a prime Tyson? I'd say Vitali Klitschko. He was tall, rangy, awkward, had a granite chin, and had a high workrate for his size.
Vitali Klitchko???

You're kidding, right? In his prime, Tyson would have chewed him up and spit 'em out in less than 10.

The only "Throwback" Heavyweight Boxer I'd give a slight chance against Mike Tyson [in his prime] would be Ernie Shavers due to his above average strength.

Regardless, let's not forget, it was one determined Buster Douglas who beat an "unbeatable" Mike Tyson, possibly towards the tail end of his prime.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
I'd favor a prime Muhammad Ali over Tyson or anyone else.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'd favor a prime Muhammad Ali over Tyson or anyone else.
If you look at the attributes of the men who beat Tyson, Ali has them all - long reach, the ability to take murderous punishment, ability to hang around and extend the fight until his opponent was worn out (which hurt Tyson, because he lacked stamina), the ability to move while delivering constant punishment, and fearlessness. Tyson didn't have much heart; he had a hard time beating a man who wasn't scared to death of him, and Ali feared nobody.

I think Ali would have controlled Tyson without much trouble. If he could handle the power of Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, and the Acorn, Tyson wouldn't have been anything special.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:17 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Nobody beats Iron Mike in his prime in my eyes, I'm sorry

That right cross was too damn ferocious and he was too damn quick with them combos

I believe he broke somebody's nose in one of his early fights. 1st round.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
If you look at the attributes of the men who beat Tyson, Ali has them all - long reach, the ability to take murderous punishment, ability to hang around and extend the fight until his opponent was worn out (which hurt Tyson, because he lacked stamina), the ability to move while delivering constant punishment, and fearlessness. Tyson didn't have much heart; he had a hard time beating a man who wasn't scared to death of him, and Ali feared nobody.

I think Ali would have controlled Tyson without much trouble. If he could handle the power of Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, and the Acorn, Tyson wouldn't have been anything special.
Exactly right. Most of those who are awed by Tyson are too young to have seen how devastating Ali was in his prime.

Though he could overwhelm most opponents with his physical quickness and power, Ali's greatest asset was his mind. He could think circles around even those few who may otherwise have had a chance. That's what made his fights such an awesome entertainment experience.

What a great era that was. Most of his fights outside of the ones against the biggest names were on TV....and I never missed one for the world.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:05 AM

146 posts, read 73,963 times
The heavyweight division during Tyson's prime was a joke, he had an easy road full of tomato cans and has beens. Giving Tyson credit though, for a 5'10" 215 lb fighter he was the best ever - no other heavyweight close to his size is in the same galaxy. Against quality much bigger opponents in their primes like Lewis, Foreman, the Klitchkos - a prime Tyson doesn't stand a chance. To give up 6"+ in height, 40 lbs+ in weight, and 12”+ in reach is just ridiculous.
Lewis was older than Tyson when he thoroughly kicked his butt, so I don't buy this whole Tyson in his prime is unbeatable nonsense. He was great at dispatching mediocre opponents regardless of size, and that is his claim to fame. Aside from a Holmes coming out of retirement for one last payday, Tyson lost to the only other "great" fighters he ever faced. And both Holyfield and Lewis were older than Tyson, so don't bring the argument that Tyson was past his prime - so were they.

Last edited by winston196; 07-06-2019 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 10:50 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Tyson is overrated. He fought scrubs. Not his fault but the hand he was dealt most of his career. He lost every fight against quality opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing