Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 09:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,710,030 times

Advertisements

The most entertaining fight was between a youtube star and a basketball player. When will boxing return to it's glory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 12:13 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,914,276 times
Tyson and Jones both plugged the fight on different episodes of Joe Rogan Experience. Both claimed it would be a legitimate fight despite being an exhibition. Did it come across as such? Given they are both over 50 a draw is not an unlikely outcome but when I read that it was scored by 3 celebrity judges it has the making of a set-up.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:03 PM

4,751 posts, read 3,252,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The most entertaining fight was between a youtube star and a basketball player. When will boxing return to it's glory.
Now there are a few NHL players that want take on the youtuber.

As far as boxing returning to its glory? It never will with a weak Heavyweight Division. Would be good boxers would rather go for Football or Basketball.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:10 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Iron Mike Tyson back in the ring after all these years. Everybody thought that he would gas out since he hasn't fought in 15 years, while Roy's last fight was 2-3 years ago. Mike was in far better shape than Roy. Mike still has tons of power, even though it was clear that he was holding back. Still quick, fast hands, great footwork, though of course not as fast as he was in his prime. Mike is my favorite boxer all-time, so I wasn't gonna miss that fight for anything.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:59 PM

4,817 posts, read 6,822,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Iron Mike Tyson back in the ring after all these years. Everybody thought that he would gas out since he hasn't fought in 15 years, while Roy's last fight was 2-3 years ago. Mike was in far better shape than Roy. Mike still has tons of power, even though it was clear that he was holding back. Still quick, fast hands, great footwork, though of course not as fast as he was in his prime. Mike is my favorite boxer all-time, so I wasn't gonna miss that fight for anything.
Sounded like Mike tried to not hit Jones in the face. All body punches. I guess that was the "exhibition" part of it.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:50 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
One of the commentators said it best:

Looks like my 2 uncles fighting at the family BBQ......

Roy looked beat/tired, Tyson looked ripped.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:40 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Sounded like Mike tried to not hit Jones in the face. All body punches. I guess that was the "exhibition" part of it.
Yea, you could see where he at the opportunities to hit Roy, but decide against it.
Mike could have knocked him out if he wanted to. Roy was so out of shape compared to Mike, it wasn't even close.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:38 PM

1,117 posts, read 504,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Now there are a few NHL players that want take on the youtuber.

As far as boxing returning to its glory? It never will with a weak Heavyweight Division. Would be good boxers would rather go for Football or Basketball.
Say his name: Jake Joseph Paul. Sooo many people are jealous of him, it’s hilarious. I hope the kid keeps rolling and racks up even more millions. Same with his brother Logan who I see will be sparring Floyd Mayweather.

This is a big deal, and big money. Nuts, but YouTube is BIG money. Tiktok, too.
Made for life in their late teens/early 20’s.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:10 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,381,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Agreed. I thought it went pretty well considering both of them are over 50. As much as I love Mike, I hope he doesnt think this is the green light to return to real boxing. I think he gets wrecked going against Wilder, Fury, Joshua or any other active heavyweight.

But I also saw that Evander called him out. That's a good look. He should stick to fighting fellow 50 year olds. That's his lane now.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:42 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,480,417 times
Tyson squandered his youth where he could have been the only head to appear on the Mt. Rushmore of boxing. His ditching of trainer Kevin Rooney began his decent into mediocrity. Not only was he a ferocious puncher, but during the KR training era, Tyson rarely got hit. By absorbing few blows, he could have fought every 3-4 months while in his prime.

Today good boxers go years between bouts. Then before you know it, they are all shop worn has beens. Look at the records of guys now fighting for titles. Some of them have never faced an opponent with a winning record. I understand taking a cautious approach but face some competition once in a while.

Glad I got to see fighters like Marvin Hagler in his prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing