Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times

Advertisements

June 19 - IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and undefeated Ruslan Chagaev take to the scales for their showdown before an expected crowd of 60,000 in Germany.

[Weigh-In Pictures]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Theres no good competition in the heavyweight division at all. Sucks! I say Klitscho wins within 8 rds, if not then a boring decision. I miss the Tyson days!! And Haye is too small to hang in there with the russians.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Boring fight.

Europeans are destroying the HW division!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Not newsworthy

W. Klitschko's win is not worth much interest. He's a very, very mechanical fighter, and a disgrace to the glorious history of the division and the sport. The heavyweight division has always been the flagship for the sport, and with the pathetic state of the division now, no wonder many have been calling for the end of Boxing.

I don't care for the Klitschko brothers at all, and one can only hope that on the horizon, there exists someone who can annihilate both of these robots. Hard to watch these predictable Klitschko fights complete with lead-footed, plodding fighters. I feel like we're living in the Ukraine and limited to watching Ukranian club fighters. Where the hell is the heavyweight talent?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
I agree! Where are all the good American Heavyweights? Ali, Holmes,Tyson? I dont get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
W. Klitschko's win is not worth much interest. He's a very, very mechanical fighter, and a disgrace to the glorious history of the division and the sport. The heavyweight division has always been the flagship for the sport, and with the pathetic state of the division now, no wonder many have been calling for the end of Boxing.

I don't care for the Klitschko brothers at all, and one can only hope that on the horizon, there exists someone who can annihilate both of these robots. Hard to watch these predictable Klitschko fights complete with lead-footed, plodding fighters. I feel like we're living in the Ukraine and limited to watching Ukranian club fighters. Where the hell is the heavyweight talent?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:47 PM

I feel American Heavyweight boxing is pretty much done.
sadly.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:17 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

As always Alexus I totally agree with your posts when it comes to boxing. I think it big part of the problem in addition to them being robotic one dimensional fighters, is that they bring with them their f'd up European promoters who so corrupt they make Don King look like an alter boy.

WTF is up with them? Cant believe they would even THINK of signing a deal with someone like a David Haye to fight anyways. They seem to be staying away from Americans who have skills. I know James Toney, Ive seen him train, Ive seen his skills. Even puffed up the way he is I know that he would destroy both c.l.i.tchkos even though he'd be giving up almost a foot in height but they avoid him.

WTF is up with the WBC? Oleg Maskaev is the #1 challenger? I mean really? WTF is up with the WBA? Valuev is your champion? I mean really? And the mandatory challenger is John Ruiz? JOHN RUIZ? Geez.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 AM

Another problem is that everyone is so concerned nowadays about the money. They all want to make the most money but are afraid to fight certain fighters for fear that if they lose, their future earnings potential will be reduced.

Look at all the TBAs on ESPNs rankings list where it lists who the fighters will be fighting next. Almost all say "TBA" and here it is beginning of summer and not a single blockbuster fight on the horizon. HBO looks like they only have one event already planned this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=3911650

Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
The Heavyweight division has always been less exciting than other weight classes, with the exception of the early 50's, 70's, and early to mid 90's. Before Tyson came along, the HW division looked a lot like it does today, except there were a ton of mediocre American contender's and champions. Today the HW division is at an all time low, ever since Lewis retired. It's not just the Euro fighters who suck either, it's guys like Ruiz, Rahman, Samuel Peter (easily the most overhyped of them all), Arreola, and a host of other fighters who would never be ranked in the days of Larry Holmes or Ali. To the credit of the Klitschko's, they at least try to improve their limited skill and they are in top condition when they get in that ring. Nothing peeves me more than to see a fat out of shape fighter in the ring. If the Klits are overrated then what does that say about the guys they are beating? Sam Peter sucks, Ruiz and Rahman are neck and neck for the most boring fighter title. Arreola is out of shape and needs to take his training and conditioning much more seriously if he expects to make it in boxing.

I say thank God for the Euro fighters, they are what is saving boxing right now. Ever see the crowd attendance at boxing venues in England, Germany and Poland? They sell out arena's to crowds of 50 or 60 thousand with ease. Guys like Hatton, Calzaghe, the Klits are huge draws and good for the sport over there. Boxing needs that kind of enthusiasm and support if it's going to compete with UFC.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Boxing needs that kind of enthusiasm and support if it's going to compete with UFC.
I think you have that backwards, MMA is competing with boxing. At least the UFC fighters are in shape physically.

The Klits didnt really start to get better until the brought on Manny Steward. But I still think a huge problem with the division is the number of sanctioning bodies who will only rank boxers if the boxer pay their sanctioning fees along with promoters who dont want to match their boxers up with "dangerous" fighters.

Of all the alphabet sanctioning bodies, I think the only place to find the closest thing to an actual accurate division ranking system is on Ring Magazine. The Ring Heavyweight Ratings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing