Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,336,698 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch the fight on Saturday?
It was incredible, probably 100 connects per fighter PER ROUND. It was simply two guys continually punching for 12 rounds.

How about Agbeko's ring entrance? I was laughing at how offensive it was, that he'd actually choose to put on a gorilla mask and have some white stripper lady pull him into the ring in chains.

The undercard was also an excellent fight, with Antonio DeMarco earning a chance to get pummeled by Edwin Valero (which he will) at some point in 2010.

Boxing is great these days, too bad so many watch the awful MMA hypefests instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM

339 posts, read 1,431,442 times
Yep, hubby and I watched. It was an awesome night of boxing, both the main event and the undercard! With that kind of non-stop action, I, too, wonder why MMA attracts the hype it does. (I don't want to watch two grown men wrestle with panties on. -Bernard Hopkins) Word, B Hop, word.

Of course I'm also troubled by how some fight 'fans' seem only interested in boxing if there's a Mayweather or a Pacman involved. More often than not, it's the little bouts on Friday's ESPN or some random fight on ShoBox that brings more thrills than the endless chatter and speculation over the big name marquee fights. Heck, I'll watch ANY boxing....so it's discouraging when I try to talk boxing with someone about, say, the Diaz v Malignaggi rematch and they just kinda glaze over. Clueless. But hey, HBO is probably happy to get all the PPV moolah from fans who don't know there's other fantastic bouts out there for the mere price of premium cable. And that thrillers happen in all the weight divisions, not just the flashier, frequently hyped ones.

Was pleased to see Agbeko lose the fight since I'm a little bitter over his victory against Darchinyan. And yeah, that entrance of his!!?! Thought it was so funny that Al had to give a jittery on-the-spot disclaimer that Showtime wasn't involved with that in any way, that it was all the promoter's doing. Regardless of who was responsible for that spectacle, I laughed. I cried. I hid my eyes, lol. Agbeko won't become a media darling, that's for sure!

It didn't quite have the intensity of the Vasquez-Marquez battles, but nearly. And that's saying a LOT. Hats off to both guys for withstanding so many rounds of brutality. And not much clinching either, just non-stop punching. Good stuff.

Hope Valero gets his visa situation resolved quickly. Cannot wait for him to face off with DeMarco. I agree that Valero will pummel him, but think it will actually be competitive enough to be a crowd pleaser. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile we have the Kessler battle coming up pretty soon. So excited over this tourney!!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,336,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Yep, hubby and I watched. It was an awesome night of boxing, both the main event and the undercard! With that kind of non-stop action, I, too, wonder why MMA attracts the hype it does. (I don't want to watch two grown men wrestle with panties on. -Bernard Hopkins) Word, B Hop, word.

Of course I'm also troubled by how some fight 'fans' seem only interested in boxing if there's a Mayweather or a Pacman involved. More often than not, it's the little bouts on Friday's ESPN or some random fight on ShoBox that brings more thrills than the endless chatter and speculation over the big name marquee fights. Heck, I'll watch ANY boxing....so it's discouraging when I try to talk boxing with someone about, say, the Diaz v Malignaggi rematch and they just kinda glaze over. Clueless. But hey, HBO is probably happy to get all the PPV moolah from fans who don't know there's other fantastic bouts out there for the mere price of premium cable. And that thrillers happen in all the weight divisions, not just the flashier, frequently hyped ones.

Was pleased to see Agbeko lose the fight since I'm a little bitter over his victory against Darchinyan. And yeah, that entrance of his!!?! Thought it was so funny that Al had to give a jittery on-the-spot disclaimer that Showtime wasn't involved with that in any way, that it was all the promoter's doing. Regardless of who was responsible for that spectacle, I laughed. I cried. I hid my eyes, lol. Agbeko won't become a media darling, that's for sure!

It didn't quite have the intensity of the Vasquez-Marquez battles, but nearly. And that's saying a LOT. Hats off to both guys for withstanding so many rounds of brutality. And not much clinching either, just non-stop punching. Good stuff.

Hope Valero gets his visa situation resolved quickly. Cannot wait for him to face off with DeMarco. I agree that Valero will pummel him, but think it will actually be competitive enough to be a crowd pleaser. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile we have the Kessler battle coming up pretty soon. So excited over this tourney!!
I just wish Showtime was as good as HBO at producing Boxing specials. HBO seems so much more professional, but Showtime has been getting most of the good fights lately.

Too bad Valuev-Haye is a PPV fight, I would have watched it.

HBO has Tyrone Brunson fighting on the undercard Saturday, as you may know, he's the guy who beat Valero's 1st Round Knockout record before his career sputtered. He may or may not be televised, as there are two major fights on that card...even though Dawson-Johnson seems pointless.

It's hard to believe that people can like MMA more when boxing continually produces great fights without the annoyance of the floor game.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM

339 posts, read 1,431,442 times
Agreed re: SHO's production values. Their broadcasts usually feel like they were just pasted together at the very last minute. However, ultimately I prefer the commentating on SHO. Or maybe I'm just fed up with Lampley's often painfully biased commentary and Kellerman's frequent interviewing gaffs. And if you want to waste some time, Google 'Larry Merchant sucks'. Enough video there to keep ya eye rolling for hours! Though HBO has Emmanuel Steward and that guy is a class act. Saw him up close and personal at an event recently and admit I squealed like a girl. OK, I am a girl but still. This is boxing, not MMA--no squealing allowed. <cue "Deliverance" banjos>

Are you a little surprised the Haye is PPV? I guess I just don't see the excitement being high enough to make us fork out the moolah. But since it's a heavyweight bout I guess they justify it. Vitali K v. Arreola wasn't PPV. Anyhoo, I'd like to see Haye too but my PPV wallet is already so sad deflated from being a rabid Hatton fan, twice. I'll never get those 10 minutes and 100 bucks (plus tax) back!!

Who knows what they'll show on Sat's undercard. Always a guessing game and I wish they televise it all, but we know how that goes. We attend a lot of live boxing and it's the same in person...no one in the seats for the early fights 'cept us die hards. Just don't get it. People don't know what they're missing.

But as far as the Dawson fight....good grief. If I don't hear from Bad Chad ever again--Or Tarver for that matter but now they've handed the dude a mic! Can I revise my earlier comments re: SHO's commentary?-- I'd be one contented fight fan. My mom though, of all people, is really looking forward to seeing Johnson as she knows of his story...never got the claim/breaks he was due, down on his luck, etc., so we'll definitely be watching. Heck, maybe it'll turn out to be a good fight but I'm not holding my breath. And since CBS is devoting 2+ hours of primetime network TV to MMA that same night, I'll be tuning in to HBO just out of protest. And Johnson does have some decent late round strength. For a dinosaur no less.

Good to chat with another real fight fan...proves there are at least two of us left!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:28 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,083,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Agreed re: SHO's production values. Their broadcasts usually feel like they were just pasted together at the very last minute. However, ultimately I prefer the commentating on SHO. Or maybe I'm just fed up with Lampley's often painfully biased commentary and Kellerman's frequent interviewing gaffs. And if you want to waste some time, Google 'Larry Merchant sucks'. Enough video there to keep ya eye rolling for hours! Though HBO has Emmanuel Steward and that guy is a class act. Saw him up close and personal at an event recently and admit I squealed like a girl. OK, I am a girl but still. This is boxing, not MMA--no squealing allowed. <cue "Deliverance" banjos>

Are you a little surprised the Haye is PPV? I guess I just don't see the excitement being high enough to make us fork out the moolah. But since it's a heavyweight bout I guess they justify it. Vitali K v. Arreola wasn't PPV. Anyhoo, I'd like to see Haye too but my PPV wallet is already so sad deflated from being a rabid Hatton fan, twice. I'll never get those 10 minutes and 100 bucks (plus tax) back!!

Who knows what they'll show on Sat's undercard. Always a guessing game and I wish they televise it all, but we know how that goes. We attend a lot of live boxing and it's the same in person...no one in the seats for the early fights 'cept us die hards. Just don't get it. People don't know what they're missing.

But as far as the Dawson fight....good grief. If I don't hear from Bad Chad ever again--Or Tarver for that matter but now they've handed the dude a mic! Can I revise my earlier comments re: SHO's commentary?-- I'd be one contented fight fan. My mom though, of all people, is really looking forward to seeing Johnson as she knows of his story...never got the claim/breaks he was due, down on his luck, etc., so we'll definitely be watching. Heck, maybe it'll turn out to be a good fight but I'm not holding my breath. And since CBS is devoting 2+ hours of primetime network TV to MMA that same night, I'll be tuning in to HBO just out of protest. And Johnson does have some decent late round strength. For a dinosaur no less.

Good to chat with another real fight fan...proves there are at least two of us left!
Apologies to Pug for breaking OT for a minute

It is great to see fight fans coming back and showing that people still have love for the sport. I am a former amateur boxer back in the late 70's early 80's, back when fights were shown on network TV. I kind of fell off my boxing in the last few years because of all the sideshows and lack of coverage of boxing, but now I'm starting to get back into it, even though I have to catch up on a lot of the fighters around today.

It feels good to see that others feel the same way about that mma/ufc crap out there ( just glorified wrestling).

However, you have to realize that for boxing to engage more fans, we need the big names and the big fights. Keeping fights tucked away on Sho,HBO, and ESPN is, IMO, hurting fighter's earning power and discouraging young folks from taking up boxing as a professional career.

Still, I am glad to listen to fight fans talk fight......it's great to see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing