Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:37 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Show me one run in Floyd had with the law back then, I am not talking about his "homeboytourage", I am talking about him. Floyd was never a big legal troublemaker. He recently had a a gun issue, but once again that was not him directly. Maybe you are thinking of his uncle Roger . And since when were boxers saints anyway? If you want to argue his work ethic fine, but too busy to fight because of legal troubles, nahhhhh

I disagree about whether he lost or not to Castillo and De la hoya, but you know what they say about opinions, besides he officially WON the fights, and gave Castillo a second shot because of the criticism. You mean to tell me Castillo got robbed twice?

I think he would have steamrolled Freitas, Casamayor and Johnston, and I still think if he fought and won, you would be saying they were not "true" opponents, and how come he didn't fight _____, you see what I'm saying, some poepel dislike PBF so much that it defies reason(not that is hard to dislike him, the arrogance, the greed, etc), but really, I don't ever remember those three guys ringing anybodies bells, and if they were, how come they are not top contenders now? They are all about the same age, they should be in the P4P ranking too?

Pleaseeeee, show me proof or even a serious allegation regarding Floyd cheating, his work ethic is sick, I am not saying he wasn't doping or popping pills, just show me any proof, or even the legitimate allegation from a governing boxing body. The most I am willing to say is that he may have come in a few pounds overweight on some earlier fights, but hell, name a boxer who doesn't? Cutting weights is no joke

Margarito was proven to be a cheater, and Shane Mosley admitted to doping, I have never even heard about PBF cheating w/ perfomance enhancers/steroids/whatever, sorry, good try but no sale

And Margarito had a rematch clause with Paul Willliams, that he chose to ignore to fight the much smaller Kermit Cintron, if that is not ducking, please tell me what is, the only reason he rematched Clottey was because he had to
It was Floyd who plead guilty to domestic violence in 2002. In 2005 received a year's suspended sentence for hitting two women in a nightclub. There was also an incident which I recall had him in the vicinity of a Detroit area shooting very similar to the Vegas ordeal. Seems he likes to keep company with criminals, so be it.

Yeah he won his fight with Castillo the same way Oscar beat Sturm or Lewis/Holyfield I was a draw.

Of course you won't find any proof of Floyd using illegal substances, same way he can't prove his allegationst that Manny is taking an performance enhancing drugs. It was a fact that Floyd injected illegal painkillers in his hands to numb them which allowed him to hit harder and not hurt his hands. The fact that he tried to say that Manny is doped up is just another excuse he used to avoid him, same excuse he used on Mosley who was at least man enough to own up to it.

Margarito's rematch clause was in the event he won. That's how it works, the loser has the option to demand a rematch, not the winner. Margarito was under no obligation to fight Williams again. How is Cintron smaller? He is 5'11", same height as Margarito and was considered a dangerous opponent when he signed that fight. Cintron is still a legitimate threat to any Welter out there. Maragarito is suspect in my book so I'm not defending him to the death, however, he has sought out the toughest opponents in his career thus far.

Bottom line is, the fans appreciate fighters who take on the best, whether they win or lose. Manny, Cotto, Mosley, and De La Hoya all earned the respect and admiration of fans because they all fought with heart and conviction and looked for the tough fights. Floyd is content to play it safe and make excuses, so he doesn't get the same degree of respect from fans. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It was Floyd who plead guilty to domestic violence in 2002. In 2005 received a year's suspended sentence for hitting two women in a nightclub. There was also an incident which I recall had him in the vicinity of a Detroit area shooting very similar to the Vegas ordeal. Seems he likes to keep company with criminals, so be it.

Yeah he won his fight with Castillo the same way Oscar beat Sturm or Lewis/Holyfield I was a draw.

Of course you won't find any proof of Floyd using illegal substances, same way he can't prove his allegationst that Manny is taking an performance enhancing drugs. It was a fact that Floyd injected illegal painkillers in his hands to numb them which allowed him to hit harder and not hurt his hands. The fact that he tried to say that Manny is doped up is just another excuse he used to avoid him, same excuse he used on Mosley who was at least man enough to own up to it.

Margarito's rematch clause was in the event he won. That's how it works, the loser has the option to demand a rematch, not the winner. Margarito was under no obligation to fight Williams again. How is Cintron smaller? He is 5'11", same height as Margarito and was considered a dangerous opponent when he signed that fight. Cintron is still a legitimate threat to any Welter out there. Maragarito is suspect in my book so I'm not defending him to the death, however, he has sought out the toughest opponents in his career thus far.

Bottom line is, the fans appreciate fighters who take on the best, whether they win or lose. Manny, Cotto, Mosley, and De La Hoya all earned the respect and admiration of fans because they all fought with heart and conviction and looked for the tough fights. Floyd is content to play it safe and make excuses, so he doesn't get the same degree of respect from fans. It's that simple.
SIGHHHHHH...

He was acquitted of the domestic violence, and copped out to a bar fight? And that makes him a thug? Come on! Wasnt Jermain Taylor convicted of assault? Matter of fact didn't Holyfield face jail time for slapping his wife around? Or how about Riddick Bowe? I mean get real, these incidents are hardly enough to qualify PBF to be a constant trouble maker. As a professional fighter, iti s to be expected that you will be the victim of an overzealous prosecuter, or a tough guy turned victim in a drunken fight

Kermit Cintron had previously been knocked out by Margarito, so yes that fight was one to pad a overinflated record, and a oppurtunity to duck. face it, Margarito was never in danger fighting him. I also disagree regarding the rematch clause, the LOSER, not the winner can demand a chance to get his spot back if he happens to lose, kind of how Lennox got his chance to fight Hasim Rahman again, after he got dropped

Have you seen Floyd, you mean to tell me he looks like he was doping to you? Check out Mosley when he fought Vernon Forrest, how cut he was, not that is a doper, even Manny looks a little TOO cut up sometimes, but alas, we shall see if they ever square off, and like I say, watch closely to who "ducks" who between these two

And since when did you speak for the "fans"? And why is their so much attention paid towards PBF for ducking? Where was Pacquiao when Floyd was ducking all of these "superstars"? Oh yeah that's right, he was in the Phillipines getting his ass handed to him by journeymen

Old 11-20-2009, 07:34 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
SIGHHHHHH...

He was acquitted of the domestic violence, and copped out to a bar fight? And that makes him a thug? Come on! Wasnt Jermain Taylor convicted of assault? Matter of fact didn't Holyfield face jail time for slapping his wife around? Or how about Riddick Bowe? I mean get real, these incidents are hardly enough to qualify PBF to be a constant trouble maker. As a professional fighter, iti s to be expected that you will be the victim of an overzealous prosecuter, or a tough guy turned victim in a drunken fight

Kermit Cintron had previously been knocked out by Margarito, so yes that fight was one to pad a overinflated record, and a oppurtunity to duck. face it, Margarito was never in danger fighting him. I also disagree regarding the rematch clause, the LOSER, not the winner can demand a chance to get his spot back if he happens to lose, kind of how Lennox got his chance to fight Hasim Rahman again, after he got dropped

Have you seen Floyd, you mean to tell me he looks like he was doping to you? Check out Mosley when he fought Vernon Forrest, how cut he was, not that is a doper, even Manny looks a little TOO cut up sometimes, but alas, we shall see if they ever square off, and like I say, watch closely to who "ducks" who between these two

And since when did you speak for the "fans"? And why is their so much attention paid towards PBF for ducking? Where was Pacquiao when Floyd was ducking all of these "superstars"? Oh yeah that's right, he was in the Phillipines getting his ass handed to him by journeymen

I love fans who make excuses for athletes bad behavior. Floyd seems to be in the middle of allegations and crime scenes because he chooses to keep company with thugs, period. Whether that makes him guilty by association or not, there is no excuse for him to continue running around with criminals, but he's not smart enough or too arrogant to fix that.

The Cintron/Margarito rematch was Cintron wanting it to avenge his only loss. The winner of that fight was going to get a shot at Cotto providing he could beat Gomez which he did. It was not so much a case of Margarito ducking Williams as it was him trying to get a bigger money fight but still fighting the best there is out there.

Floyd was injecting his hands, whether or not he's taking any performance enhancing drugs is not the issue. The issue is him calling everyone else out for it while looking for excuses to avoid tough fights.

Since when do I speak for the fans? Wipe the fog from your glasses and look around, boxing fans, analysts, and other fighters have been calling Floyd out for avoiding the top competition, where have you been? Anyone can see he's been ducking tough fights with endless excuses, you just have to try and be impartial. I am not a fanboy of any particular fighter. I have fighters I am a fan of, like Roy Jones, Manny, Williams, Abraham, Cotto, and Hopkins, but I'm not so blinded by my admiration that I wouldn't call out their shortcomings or B.S. They all have their flaws, but some are forgiven a little more easily when putting on good fights. Floyd would be a fan favorite if he'd stop making excuses and put his takents to the proper test.

Manny started out at 106 and honed his skills in the ring, and as far as I and most fans are concerned, there is no shame in his three losses, he's a much improved fighter since then. At least he had the heart to come back after two KO losses, not sure if Pretty Boy would have the heart to come back from that.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM

141 posts, read 480,084 times
Floyd would destory Pacquiao, and this comming fom a Pacquiao fan

Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Everybody relax......the fight will eventually happen.....I see this ending up being a "trilogy" type situation.......Manny winning the first by close UD that will be disputed by an angry Mayweather.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 215GUY View Post
Floyd would destory Pacquiao, and this comming fom a Pacquiao fan
destroy pacquiao?

delusional, aren't we?

floyd lost his killer instinct YEARS AGO, there is NO WAY he'll ''DESTROY'' () Pacquiao...

he will win a boring pathetic UD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing