Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,461,254 times

Advertisements

By Mark Vester

Trainer Freddie Roach has confirmed BoxingScene.com's big scoop over the weekend; Manny Pacquiao may move up to 154-pounds to target a world title shot against undefeated WBA champion Yuri Foreman. Foreman and Pacquiao are both promoted by Top Rank. Roach, who will be in Amir Khan's corner this Saturday, told British press that Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn't want to fight Pacquiao in March, and Manny doesn't want to wait until May or June to fight again - likely due to a possible election run as noted earlier by BoxingScene's Ronnie Nathanielsz.

"Mayweather doesn't want to fight in March, so we might fight for the 154 pound title in March and move up for that eighth world title. I'm thinking about that still and it's something that I'm kicking around in my head right now," Roach said.

Pacquiao vs Foreman May Be Next in March, Says Roach - Boxing News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,922,150 times
Strange how quiet this forum has been since negotioations for this fight have begun. Slowly we see who is really ducking who, here

Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM

10,165 posts, read 20,698,179 times
So Floyd is asking for more time to prepare, he doesn't want to fight in March he wants to fight in June. Manny is willing to fight him in March after fighting just two weeks ago. I would think that Manny would be the one to want more time not Floyd. This reminds me of the time Shane wanted more time to prepare in a fight with Floyd, but Mayweather turned him down and took the fight with De La Hoya. Then has the nerve to say that Shane ducked him because he needed one more month to prepare because of his tooth/jaw. So by Floyd's failed logic it is now he who is ducking because Manny is willing to fight him in March and Floyd wants more time.

Floyd's last fight was in September yet he doesn't want to fight until June...how much damn time does he need in between fights? Manny just fought in November and he's ready to go in March!

Overall I am frustrated that these two cannot come to terms and find a compromise somewhere. Manny wants to fight in March and step up one more weight class so he can hopefully secure a title in yet another weight class. Not sure why Floyd needs ten months in between fights when most fighters can prepare for a big fight in 8 - 12 weeks. If it's due to an injury than come clean with it, but otherwise step up and take the fight in March. Another example of Floyd wanting EVERYTHING on his terms.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 AM

12 posts, read 9,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Strange how quiet this forum has been since negotioations for this fight have begun. Slowly we see who is really ducking who, here
What does that mean?

Pac-Man could easily take out Foreman, who is too unwilling to create action in the ring and not hard enough of a puncher to counter Pacquiao's relentless attack.

It would be cool for Foreman to get that kind of press though, he's got a very interesting story.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistIntellectual View Post
What does that mean?

Pac-Man could easily take out Foreman, who is too unwilling to create action in the ring and not hard enough of a puncher to counter Pacquiao's relentless attack.

It would be cool for Foreman to get that kind of press though, he's got a very interesting story.
Now if Floyd said he wanted to take on Corey Spinks to take the IBF JM belt, and be honest, he would not be considred a coward?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So Floyd is asking for more time to prepare, he doesn't want to fight in March he wants to fight in June. Manny is willing to fight him in March after fighting just two weeks ago. I would think that Manny would be the one to want more time not Floyd. This reminds me of the time Shane wanted more time to prepare in a fight with Floyd, but Mayweather turned him down and took the fight with De La Hoya. Then has the nerve to say that Shane ducked him because he needed one more month to prepare because of his tooth/jaw. So by Floyd's failed logic it is now he who is ducking because Manny is willing to fight him in March and Floyd wants more time.

Floyd's last fight was in September yet he doesn't want to fight until June...how much damn time does he need in between fights? Manny just fought in November and he's ready to go in March!

Overall I am frustrated that these two cannot come to terms and find a compromise somewhere. Manny wants to fight in March and step up one more weight class so he can hopefully secure a title in yet another weight class. Not sure why Floyd needs ten months in between fights when most fighters can prepare for a big fight in 8 - 12 weeks. If it's due to an injury than come clean with it, but otherwise step up and take the fight in March. Another example of Floyd wanting EVERYTHING on his terms.
Shouldn't he be allowed a fair time to recover? Why rush in, and the fans are left with a BS fight because someone is hurt, or making excuses, or the fight is postponed, etc

And as I said in an earlier post, if Floyd wanted to secure the IBF Junior belt, go up in weight to fight Corey Spinks, would he not be considered ducking Pacquiao, and be truthful

And really Yuri Foreman? why not the winner or Berto Vs. Mosley, or any of the other guys he would be "skipping"

Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 AM

10,165 posts, read 20,698,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Shouldn't he be allowed a fair time to recover? Why rush in, and the fans are left with a BS fight because someone is hurt, or making excuses, or the fight is postponed, etc

And as I said in an earlier post, if Floyd wanted to secure the IBF Junior belt, go up in weight to fight Corey Spinks, would he not be considered ducking Pacquiao, and be truthful

And really Yuri Foreman? why not the winner or Berto Vs. Mosley, or any of the other guys he would be "skipping"
Time to recover from what, the pillow fight he had with Marquez? Manny came off a tougher fight and only needs less than half the recovery time.

I don't think he'd want to fight Spinks, Corey is a very elusive fighter and counter puncher and it would be a boring fight with very few punches thrown. Nobody looks good against Spinks, and he's such a boring fighter he should have his license revoked just for that! The public would not pay big money to watch Floyd fight Spinks. Remember, it's been Floyd's opponents who have been the PPV draw, not Floyd himself. He needed to fight guys like Hatton, De La Hoya, Gatti and Marqeuz to make the big PPV bucks.

I do agree that fighting Yuri is easy pickin's as opposed to Mosley or Berto at 154, but that doesn't mean he's going to beat up on lesser opponents for the rest of his career, perhaps he wants a title at 154 to make a bigger fight at that weight with some of the bigger names. It's no different than Floyd stepping up in weight to fight Corley or Bruseles.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Time to recover from what, the pillow fight he had with Marquez? Manny came off a tougher fight and only needs less than half the recovery time.

I don't think he'd want to fight Spinks, Corey is a very elusive fighter and counter puncher and it would be a boring fight with very few punches thrown. Nobody looks good against Spinks, and he's such a boring fighter he should have his license revoked just for that! The public would not pay big money to watch Floyd fight Spinks. Remember, it's been Floyd's opponents who have been the PPV draw, not Floyd himself. He needed to fight guys like Hatton, De La Hoya, Gatti and Marqeuz to make the big PPV bucks.

I do agree that fighting Yuri is easy pickin's as opposed to Mosley or Berto at 154, but that doesn't mean he's going to beat up on lesser opponents for the rest of his career, perhaps he wants a title at 154 to make a bigger fight at that weight with some of the bigger names. It's no different than Floyd stepping up in weight to fight Corley or Bruseles.
All i'm saying is cut Floyd a break, I understand excatly what Pac is doing, he want's to keep the gravy train flowing, and why not continue to pad your record with "pillow fights"?

Why risk a fight with Floyd, this early during his peak? All i'm saying is, Pac is not the warrior we thought he was! He is no diffrent than Floyd! That's all i'm saying, if you get mad with Floyd for "ducking", then the same contempt should be shown to Pacquiao

If you don't like Floyd for his attitude, that's one thing. But to accuse him of ducking, as if it is not something, that everybody does, is wrong

I really hope that they fight next year, but if they don't eventually they will, or some younger hotshot will come through town and be the new "legend killer" and take them both out

Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 AM

31 posts, read 22,703 times
Quote:

I wouldn't exactly say Floyd wasn't a draw himself, there are plenty of PBF fans out there. The haters tune in to see him too, thinking that he'll finally get that jaw wired shut. DLH-PBF drew a record PPV, more than any other DLH fight, so clearly Floyd had something to do with that.

Yuri could also be seen as a tuneup for Floyd, as he's a similar kind of fighter, though one with less skill. Foreman is a technician who would rather play defense, like Floyd. Maybe Pac-Man could use his experience against Foreman to learn how to deal with someone who isn't trying to knock him out.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,807,926 times
Thats odd Sportscenter is saying the fight with Mayweather is on, They have agreed on the terms now its a matter of the day and place.

one date is march 1st
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing