Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:01 PM

529 posts, read 1,886,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwilld View Post
Its people like you who give us people in the bitterroot and missoula valleys a bad name, you shouldn't talk about a place like that especially if you havent visited in 27 years, dont make assumptions about what happens, if you want to be in the know then come and live here, Missoula has changed alot in 27 years and you have no clue about what goes on if you haven't visited in that time.
I'm sorry to say that in many more cases, it's actually the people that live in the Bitterroot and Missoula that give themselves a bad name.
And I visit from Great Falls regularly, 2 to 3 times a month in many instances, and before 1991 I lived, worked and played in the valley and surrounding areas (for 20 long years).

Missoula does a pretty fair job of giving themselves their own black eyes these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 PM

495 posts, read 488,253 times
Default you bet

giftshopguy wrote:
Quote:
Missoula does a pretty fair job of giving themselves their own black eyes these days.
I'm curious, why do you say that ? I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just wondering why you say so.
I like the old hippies still sporting those stringy gray pony tails with the baldie on top, and the old grandma hippie ladies with crew cuts and tatooes....you gotta love a good laugh, even if it does make you wonder....."what in the hell has this world come too and what in the hell is going thru their heads, puff puff"
One of the latest trends in Missoula is decided that you've spent your whole life chasing the wrong gender and it's time to make up for lost time. No malicious intent there, just an observation.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
giftshopguy wrote:

I'm curious, why do you say that ? I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just wondering why you say so.
I like the old hippies still sporting those stringy gray pony tails with the baldie on top, and the old grandma hippie ladies with crew cuts and tatooes....you gotta love a good laugh, even if it does make you wonder....."what in the hell has this world come too and what in the hell is going thru their heads, puff puff"
Missoula was much better of a community back in the 60's.... there were more folks that were settled and bright living there.... even in spite of the hippies and their groovy ways.

Yes, every college town in the 60's was the hippie capital, including Missoula, but over recent years, the general attitude of the place has become much more insidious..... youngsters all pumped up with how much money they think they are making, free thinkers that could never make it in any other liberal minded area all flock to Missoula..... it's like the last stop for them after they've seemingly failed to be a going concern anywhere else.... wanna-be yupsters with cell phones growing out of their heads pretending to be someone they aren't and it goes on and on......

Missoula has always been the odd duck in Montana..... nothing wrong with that..... sure, the old hippies are quite a treat... even I, during my college years painted on the old peace sign... I still have the denim jacket it's painted on......
When I laugh at the old hippies, I laugh at myself too, because there was a time in my life when I thought that free love was going to save us all....

Missoula is and has been just as much a part of my life over the years, as these big Montana skies have...... I know Missoula too well at times. But that's okay too.... because I don't have to live there.

I have a ton of friends that live there..... land and family in the Bitterroot.
I know folks from Lo Lo all the way to Sula. I know what Missoula has become.

I'm sorry if I disturbed the sensitivities of anyone who would swear by Missoula..... But I'll tell it like it is........

Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,502,964 times
Missoula sounds a lot like Berkeley. Am I on to something here? When my daughter and I went up there a couple of times to see the university before she transferred, we walked around some of the shops. I could have sworn that I was back in the 60s! Lots of hippies and homeless sharing the street space. It was fascinating, but at the same time I almost wanted to say, "Grow up already!"

Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Missoula sounds a lot like Berkeley. Am I on to something here? When my daughter and I went up there a couple of times to see the university before she transferred, we walked around some of the shops. I could have sworn that I was back in the 60s! Lots of hippies and homeless sharing the street space. It was fascinating, but at the same time I almost wanted to say, "Grow up already!"
There are more homeless, on the streets of Missoula, than one would think and yes, there are alot of old throw-backs to the 60's living there.
Missoula's modern, "young hippies" are more often refered to as "granola's".... they are in many ways, like the hippies of yesteryear, no bathing, no shaving and so forth. They are usually not quite as outspoken as the hippies of old though...... probably because they don't really have a cause, like we did in our younger years.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:56 PM

152 posts, read 626,442 times
Default Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
the old hippies are quite a treat... even I, during my college years painted on the old peace sign... I still have the denim jacket it's painted on.
"He's an old hippie and he don't know what to do, shall he hang on to the old, should he hang out with the new?"

And flower power made the car run better.
There is still a "head shop" on Telegraph

Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times
Quote:
JJM, I was actually one of those hippies in Missoula with long hair that you're referring to. Yes, my hair is grey but not balding and I've been thinking about growing it in the back a little bit. Those were actually some of the best years of my life and Missoula was a fun place to live in. I usually visit every year since I have alot of friends there. I'll bet a few puffs on something might mellow you out a little bit. If not maybe sometime I could buy you a beer when I'm in town.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
......."He's an old hippie and he don't know what to do, shall he hang on to the old, should he hang out with the new?"......

http://www.cowpie.biz/media/BellamyBrothers-Old_Hippie.mp3 (broken link)

Old 02-24-2007, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 145,090 times
It's great to live in the bitterroot, but the light pollution from missoula and hamilton is getting ridiculous. Msla is full of hippies, the schools (except loyola) are terrible and we deal with the fallout.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:37 PM

62 posts, read 470,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton6 View Post
We are looking at different places in Montana. Work in Bozeman looks potential but living is expensive. What are Belgrade, Big Sky and Livingston like? Also how are the schools? We are moving from Roswell NM and crime, gangs and drugs are rampant here and we have 4 children ages 11-3 that we want out of this place.

HELP
Roswell NM is crime ridden. Just went through there 2 years ago. It is in the middle of NoWhere.....how could they have these problems??!! Wow !!

Anyway, yes Bozeman went crazy ... Livingston...(check windest places on Google, LOL), Belgrade is a suburb of Bozeman...was inexpensive, but now they are developing everywhere....lost the concept of planning. Big Sky...I remember when Chet Huntley (Huntley/Brinkley report) started Big Sky...everyone thought him nuts. Baby, look at it now. Do a search Big Sky, MT for sale.... Manhattan is built on river rock and has a high water table. Many modular homes or homes where if one were drunk they couldn't pick their house out from their neighbors. Remember the song "Little Houses on the Hillside. Little houses made of TickyTac." Small lots. There are some homes further north that aren't bad, but those aren't for sale. Gorgeous valley.

Why do you choose Bozeman, the University?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman