Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,818 times

Advertisements

I do understand your point, and also struggle with the same scholarship issues, (however, not because I have a family) and I'm not preaching that these kids should get better treatment, no... you break the law, you serve the time. Everyone needs to understand their actions have consequences, and that perhaps when we pass our internal judgment of them, that we think about the circumstances that have led up to their crimes.

And, your concern about Bel ghetto (hehehe) is valid as well, but my concern lies with large numbers of apartment complexes. As long as those don't outgrow the MSU market, as in, as long as they themselves are not attracting people who are not around for college, then I'm not really worried about Bozeman.

And personally, a mandatory service to the military just doesn't sit well with me. I don't want to be sitting in a foxhole next to some guy who is doing it just because he has to. That concerns me. Just like I don't want to study with the person who's only taking the course because his parents are making him, or whatever. If they don't have motivation, then I don't want to be around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,886 times
i think bozeman is just suffering from growing pains right now. the problems here have been getting worse and worse and lately, they are just starting to get better. the bozeman 2020 plan was released, and is calling for more city services, some of which would increase police force, and trash pickup, and roads. these are the most important issues right now. our city government is LOADED. i know people who work for the treasury, and according to them, this city is traditionally fickle with money. i am glad i live in a city like this, because in times like this, they have money to burn on services which need some catching up. our growth has been slowly leveling off and from here i think we will see a more homogenous city culture, more services, and the development of COMMUNITIES! to me that is exciting. most of these places in town were built within the past 5 years. it takes time to find your neighbors, reach out to them, make friends. bozeman neighborhoods are filled with young couples from all over the US who just up and left their homes. i see whole communities forming, not just physically, but mentally here. elk grove, and river rock (both a bit outside of bozeman) are two examples. the couples who i know who live here, love their neighbors for the most part. once we form strong communities, then the rest will fall into place. it will just take a few more years.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,243 times
I can appreciate your optimism, and I hope it works out like that. Personally I liked it better before the mass influx of people moving in and started changing the laws and driving prices through the roof etc...

Is that selfish? Sure it is, but at least I'm honest about it. Plus I don't feel it's as selfish as the people who exploit the market to their advantage to make money.
I heard a stat on the radio a few months ago that there is 1 police officer for every 10,000 people in Gallatin county, but 1 lawyer for every 70 people. (I'd bet it's safe to say there is at least 1 Realtor for every 100 people or so... sad sad sad.)

Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I can appreciate your optimism, and I hope it works out like that. Personally I liked it better before the mass influx of people moving in and started changing the laws and driving prices through the roof etc...

Is that selfish? Sure it is, but at least I'm honest about it. Plus I don't feel it's as selfish as the people who exploit the market to their advantage to make money.
I heard a stat on the radio a few months ago that there is 1 police officer for every 10,000 people in Gallatin county, but 1 lawyer for every 70 people. (I'd bet it's safe to say there is at least 1 Realtor for every 100 people or so... sad sad sad.)
That cannot be right on police officers.

There are 15 full-time officers on MSU. And 4 part timers.

thats 17 (assuming half time for the part timers) for maybe 20k people.

Bozeman itself has a large number of officers, 33 in patrol, and 5 detectives and I'm sure others.

Assuming Gallatin county overall has 100k people, thats 50 officers right there, or 1 every 5k. Not counting Belgrade, Big Sky, the Sheriff's office, etc.

I do believe however that police officers are outnumbered by either lawyers or real estate agents. Thats true in every town.

Edit: Highway patrol has 23 officers for gallatin, broadwater, meagher, Madison and Park counties. Compared to 33 for Bozeman alone. Just wow.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:22 PM

It may have been 1 cop per 10,000 people on duty at a given time, but it was so long ago that I can't remember exactly.

Point was I liked it better before the huge growth, and change in prices and laws. There is less freedom now and as the place grows the laws will become more and more restrictive. I miss the days when you could head out camping without worrying about it when someone cracked a beer in the back seat.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:21 PM

205 posts, read 729,276 times
Regarding the thread topic, Bozeman vs. Bend, a demographic website offers this comparison: Bend, population 71,892, cost of living 14.39% above the national average, median home price $439,900. Bozeman, population 35,061, cost of living 13.77% above the national average, median home price $441,700. If these figures are accurate, the two cities are remarkably similar and both are in the mountains, and in horse country. Neither Oregon nor Montana has sales tax. Oregon's state income tax seems to be higher.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairierose View Post
Regarding the thread topic, Bozeman vs. Bend, a demographic website offers this comparison: Bend, population 71,892, cost of living 14.39% above the national average, median home price $439,900. Bozeman, population 35,061, cost of living 13.77% above the national average, median home price $441,700. If these figures are accurate, the two cities are remarkably similar and both are in the mountains, and in horse country. Neither Oregon nor Montana has sales tax. Oregon's state income tax seems to be higher.
Median house price cannot be 441,700. Sure thats not mean? Unless its counting places outside of Bozeman, and in Gallatin County.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM

205 posts, read 729,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Median house price cannot be 441,700. Sure thats not mean? Unless its counting places outside of Bozeman, and in Gallatin County.
I thought both of those figures seemed high. I checked a realtor website but they did not list either city. Does anyone have a more realistic figure? I just noticed there is another thread on Bozeman housing prices that seems to support the price mentioned.

Last edited by prairierose; 01-25-2008 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Added comment

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
Hey Timberwolf, why in the world do you miss being able to crack a beer in the back seat going camping ? I drink a beer riding shotgun while my wife drives everyday !
No frigging law against it still ! Take a minute and really read the law and all the exceptions and you will see that the driver can't, and a passenger can, as long as it is in the immediate possession of the passenger.
Look up Montana code 61-8-460 section 2 part E.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Interesting Rickers! I heard that there was a new law passed last summer against ANY open container in a vehicle... maybe that was just some city ordinance?.. Thanks for the info..

Cheers,
TW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman