Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 07:03 PM

58 posts, read 131,645 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lot of research as we are going to Bozeman next year for a month with the view to moving there permanently, from Australia, the following year.

Our son recently told us that someone that he spoke to, who had been there, said that it was essential to own a snowmobile in winter as, apart from the main streets, there is so much snow that vehicles are almost not viable. They told him that the car park at Wal Mart us full of snowmobiles instead of cars and trucks in winter.

I have never heard of this on this forum, or elsewhere, so think that they might have been kidding. Can a local please clarify this for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,512 times
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Someone is "pulling your leg". Yes, whoever told your son that was joking.

I'm not sure if it is even legal to run a snowmobile on a street in Bozeman. They are expensive machines that tourists rent to have fun on trails, not something people use as regular transportation here. Maybe he was thinking of the back-country of Alaska!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM

Here are a few statistics about snowmobiles...
they are most popular in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Facts and Statistics about Snowmobiling - ISMA (International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association)-Information for snowmobilers: snowmobiling trails and safety; facts and trends

Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 PM

I'll qualify what I posted earlier about tourists...

I was being a *little* sarcastic, as it seems one of the winter vacation high points for many people who come here as tourists is to go to West Yellowstone and rent a snowmobile.

It is actually a serious winter hobby for many people who live in Montana and like going snowmobiling just as much as skiers like to go skiing.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM

58 posts, read 131,645 times
Thanks again happiness is. You are a wealth of information. I thought that would be the case.

Where we live in winter here, Falls Creek, the village is on the mountain and once the season starts the roads are closed to vehicles and the only method of transport is skiing, walking or the shuttle. The exception to the rule are snowmobiles, but only for business owners for transportation of food and supplies.

Our son was wildly excited at the prospect of living in a real town and having a snowmobile in the driveway. I'll have to disillusion him.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
There is a snowmachine custom shop in Bozeman that can build you the absolute fastest suicide machine possible.

This is one thing I have not tried- I think I'll stick to snowshoes and ice grippers on my boots.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM

213 posts, read 696,948 times
There are some small recreational/touristy towns where it is common to see snowmobiles in parking lots, but definitely not in a city the size of Bozeman. The general rules are that snowmobiles are not allowed on public streets in most areas of Montana, no matter how much snow (although for the occasional really big snowstorms, law enforcement will often look the other way on side streets or rural areas that haven't been plowed). Pulling one into WalMart in Bozeman would probably get you a ticket, though.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
I'm still laughing...Walmart? No it is not like that in Bozeman. Now in Lincoln, Cooke City and West Yellowstone yes. There are usually more snowmobiles than cars parked at various establishments all the time in the winter. You can still drive your Subaru in Bozo in winter, rest assured.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 AM

233 posts, read 543,697 times
The Bismark ND Wal Mart is full of snowmobiles in the winter. And most of the cars and trucks are left running while they shop.

NORDAK is a cold mother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman