U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,913 times

Advertisements

1. What is the attitude of locals towards those who move in? I heard second hand that Bozeman has experienced an influx of migrants that has strained the system and that longtime residents are not too keen on newcomers anymore.

(1) I assume by migrants you mean people not originally from Montana? There are a few people that dislike all the people moving into Montana from other states. Most of them are just frustrated with people coming to Bozeman with large sums of cash driving land and home prices up.

2. We'd be coming from Utah. I know it is colder there. Are winters cold to the point of being unendurable?

(2) Yes the winters are cold. It is a different cold since the humidity is so low. If you hate the snow or cold do not move.

3. Are prices (real estate, gasoline, groceries, insurance) higher than normal?

(3) Real estate is currently very high in Bozeman. And insurance is high for vehicles due to all the drunk drivers.

4. What is medical care in Bozeman like?

(4) Medical care is good, unless you require specialized treatment.

5. I know there is much outdoor recreation in the area. Are there any art or cultural type activities?

(5) Bozeman has a lot of events especially during the summer.

6. Is Bozeman a popular retirement destination?

(6) Only if you have a great retirement income.

7. What is shopping like? Are stores abundant and plentiful?

(7) Decent amount of stores, we order a lot online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:22 AM

387 posts, read 323,372 times
I would agree with all of WilliamT123123's points.

I think that there are a lot of retirees here because there is a big population of young parents and grandparents seem to move here to be around their grandkids. There are a lot of free cultural activities (music on main, free concerts and farmers' markets, fireworks etc.) so people on a budget have things to do, especially if they like the outdoors. That said, the real estate market has been hugely driven up by out of state people with money moving in so that it reflects more of a Minneapolis or Seattle situation, however due to the size of Bozeman there is less availability of low income housing. That said, almost 25% of the valley's population lives below the poverty line, so there is housing available (we have a lot of trailer parks here, for example).

Having a university is one thing that I think really sets Bozeman apart from a lot of other small western cities/towns. The amount of museum/symphony/opera and cultural activities and lectures is actually pretty impressive, and we get great people coming here to speak/play. I lived in a town that was the same size but didn't have a university and really noticed and missed the elements of culture.

In terms of people not liking those who move here, I would say there is a huge element of people who are moving here to enjoy what MT has to offer, and I find the place generally very positive and welcoming, both by Montanans and by those who have moved here. That said, there is also a group of people who are bringing with them elements of other states like HOAs, antipathy towards hunting and trapping, and restrictions about land and home use that are not typically Montanan which rubs people the wrong way, especially if these cultural judgements are pushed as political agendas.

All in all though, I think it is changing as a place, but still a great place to live.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,169,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT123123 View Post
And insurance is high for vehicles due to all the drunk drivers.
I asked my insurance agent (State Farm) why rates had gone up so much, and he said it's purely due to having had several years in a row with severe hail, since hail trashes these newer cars with all their expensive-to-replace plastic.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:44 PM

140 posts, read 72,345 times
Quote:
1. What is the attitude of locals towards those who move in? I heard second hand that Bozeman has experienced an influx of migrants that has strained the system and that longtime residents are not too keen on newcomers anymore.

(1) I assume by migrants you mean people not originally from Montana? There are a few people that dislike all the people moving into Montana from other states. Most of them are just frustrated with people coming to Bozeman with large sums of cash driving land and home prices up.

2. We'd be coming from Utah. I know it is colder there. Are winters cold to the point of being unendurable?

(2) Yes the winters are cold. It is a different cold since the humidity is so low. If you hate the snow or cold do not move.

(3) Real estate is currently very high in Bozeman. And insurance is high for vehicles due to all the drunk drivers.

5. I know there is much outdoor recreation in the area. Are there any art or cultural type activities?

I have a friend there and its a nice place. And very welcoming to outsiders, probably because a lot of them are indeed outsiders themselves. Ultimately its like any other college town though, lots of retirees and youngsters

Old 11-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,175,310 times
Quote:

AND DON'T FORGET NUMBER.(8).....(I realize this is touched on in #1 and #6 above)..
THE GREAT NUMBER OF FOLKS THAT HAVE MOVED HERE FROM CERTAIN WEST COAST AND EAST COAST STATES
WITH THERE EXTREMELY HIGH SALARY RETIREMENT DOLLARS AND REAL ESTATE PROFITS, THAT HAVE INFLATED HOME PRICES AND TAXES BEYOND THE 'REACH OF THE AVERAGE MONTANAN.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
AND DON'T FORGET NUMBER.(8).....(I realize this is touched on in #1 and #6 above)..
THE GREAT NUMBER OF FOLKS THAT HAVE MOVED HERE FROM CERTAIN WEST COAST AND EAST COAST STATES
WITH THERE EXTREMELY HIGH SALARY RETIREMENT DOLLARS AND REAL ESTATE PROFITS, THAT HAVE INFLATED HOME PRICES AND TAXES BEYOND THE 'REACH OF THE AVERAGE MONTANAN.
Thats why most the natives i met there do a hell of a commute. One guy from Big Timber.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 AM

7,063 posts, read 8,223,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Thats why most the natives i met there do a hell of a commute. One guy from Big Timber.
That commute doesn't seem worth it. Especially in winter.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,169,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Same thought here... but if you're coming from some major metro, it may seem quite reasonable compared to the big-city's typical hour-long commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 PM

387 posts, read 323,372 times
A lot of people live in Belgrade or Manhattan which is economical and a very quick commute because you just hop on I-90. There is a lot of building going on so we are getting a lot more housing options. I would still agree that the real estate market is disproportionately expensive here vs. other places in Montana, but we have so many free events and activities here it is a huge plus (vs a larger city where you have to pay for everything fun you want to do).

Additionally, once you get just out of the city limits (which is about a 7 minute drive from Bozeman), you can often qualify for a rural real estate loan - for example my friend is buying a 3 bedroom place outside of town (it will take him I think 10 minutes to get into town) and will have a mortgage of $500-$700 dollars a month and rent out 2 of the rooms so he will be making money on it. He'll qualify for the loan.

So, you have to think out of the box a little, but honestly there is so much to do outside of your house, you don't need a big house here in Bozeman, and there are plenty of smaller properties for sale for less money now with the building boom and the drop in real estate prices. I think it is a cool town and getting manageable. We also have a free bus system which is cool, and a trail system that is so good you can bike from the national forest on the north side of the city to the national forest on the south side of the city without having to bike on the roads.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I believe he was a property manager for a big time company. i stayed in his airbnb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman