U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:03 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,457,677 times

Advertisements

According to government data about 45% of the households in Bozeman metro make under 50k / yr. 20% between 50-75k, 25% between 75-150k. Almost 10% over 150k.

What do the better off do? Well about 45% of all employees are in real estate, finance, professional services (broadly defined), education, health, administration and public administration. Not everyone in these fields are middle class and above and some outside it (small businesses, some landowners, etc.) may be.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-31-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:01 PM

7,041 posts, read 8,199,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
What do you call the whole west side??

Now that I've wondered myself... what on earth do they all find to do that suffices to buy even those midrange westside houses?
The whole west side is middle class? The only jobs I can think of that people must have are ones where they can work from home. It would explain the constant traffic in town during business hours.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,628,371 times
@NDak15 - I have to agree. The west side of Bozeman is the "cheap seats" where 2 bd/2 bth condos start at $250k. I don't know of many 60k/yr households that can pay the 1250-1300 a month nut on that. Most 60k/yr households also have 2 kids that aren't going to want to share a bedroom in a condo. A 100k/yr household can afford it but that tends to be the high side of middle class American incomes.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:32 PM

56 posts, read 25,497 times
There are very good answers here from all, and just a reminder that the OP said they wanted the good and the bad. So, no judgment toward others who think differently.

Bozeman is experiencing growing pains in a number of ways. The migration of people to Bozeman has been good and bad. The growing pains are evident and city planning is a problem. For example, access to town where all of the services and stores are located is a problem from the west corridor...and that is where majority of new housing developments are going in. There is a lot of traffic on that corridor and a lot of stoplights. I don't know if city planners are thinking ahead or just trying to keep their heads above water. But continued expansion is going to be a problem, so I see these growing pains continuing well into the future. In Bozeman, multistory, multi-family housing is causing some problems too. Developers are not providing enough parking for the number of units, and that is pushing in on neighboring single family homes, and people are not happy about it.

Land and homes are expensive. You would think there is a lot of land available to build, but that's not really true. If you are looking for a single family home with any amount of land you are going to pay dearly for it. In town, a modest single family dwelling that sits right on your neighbor will easily set you back 500K. If you want more space, it is going to be very hard to find. Right now, most of the development is on former farm land, so there is not much that is green.

The complaints I've heard, especially when talking about people moving into MT from CA is that too many Californians want to bring California with them. Unfortunately, I think Californians who have not embraced MT and want the California life, are leaving a bad taste. I think many people are still trying to hold onto the idea of what Bozeman once was, and that it is changing way too fast for many people. I'm not saying that change is good or bad. Some change is, but if people want bike paths, street lights, restrict hunting and fishing rights, restrict land use (NO!), animals rights, etc., it's not going to fly.

Weather - Last year, snow started in September and didn't stop until the 3rd week of May. It was a long winter. It gets cold and dark too. You should come for a visit, and I recommend during the winter so you really know what to expect.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGonzales View Post
There are very good answers here from all, and just a reminder that the OP said they wanted the good and the bad. So, no judgment toward others who think differently.

Bozeman is experiencing growing pains in a number of ways. The migration of people to Bozeman has been good and bad. The growing pains are evident and city planning is a problem. For example, access to town where all of the services and stores are located is a problem from the west corridor...and that is where majority of new housing developments are going in. There is a lot of traffic on that corridor and a lot of stoplights. I don't know if city planners are thinking ahead or just trying to keep their heads above water. But continued expansion is going to be a problem, so I see these growing pains continuing well into the future. In Bozeman, multistory, multi-family housing is causing some problems too. Developers are not providing enough parking for the number of units, and that is pushing in on neighboring single family homes, and people are not happy about it.

Land and homes are expensive. You would think there is a lot of land available to build, but that's not really true. If you are looking for a single family home with any amount of land you are going to pay dearly for it. In town, a modest single family dwelling that sits right on your neighbor will easily set you back 500K. If you want more space, it is going to be very hard to find. Right now, most of the development is on former farm land, so there is not much that is green.

The complaints I've heard, especially when talking about people moving into MT from CA is that too many Californians want to bring California with them. Unfortunately, I think Californians who have not embraced MT and want the California life, are leaving a bad taste. I think many people are still trying to hold onto the idea of what Bozeman once was, and that it is changing way too fast for many people. I'm not saying that change is good or bad. Some change is, but if people want bike paths, street lights, restrict hunting and fishing rights, restrict land use (NO!), animals rights, etc., it's not going to fly.

Weather - Last year, snow started in September and didn't stop until the 3rd week of May. It was a long winter. It gets cold and dark too. You should come for a visit, and I recommend during the winter so you really know what to expect.
Still against stop lights and bike paths eh? I will agree with some of your assessments though. Bozeman has had a lack of planning for going on twenty years. Traffic there is ridiculous. I'm guaranteed road rage within about ten minutes of entering town.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:02 AM

60 posts, read 82,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Still against stop lights and bike paths eh? I will agree with some of your assessments though. Bozeman has had a lack of planning for going on twenty years. Traffic there is ridiculous. I'm guaranteed road rage within about ten minutes of entering town.
I have noticed that too since I moved here NDak15. The road systems were poorly planned out and designed which causes traffic build up in areas where there should be none

Old 01-18-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
I have noticed that too since I moved here NDak15. The road systems were poorly planned out and designed which causes traffic build up in areas where there should be none
The city planners are idiots in denial that the town is growing. They'd rather just blame college students for everything.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 AM

60 posts, read 82,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The city planners are idiots in denial that the town is growing. They'd rather just blame college students for everything.
I do miss some aspects of Salt Lake City. I have to hand it to whoever designed Salt Lake City. They planned for the future. Its like every time they build a new road they say "we need a 2 lane road? well lets make it 4-6. SO that way when they city grows we will have less work to do. Also there will be less congestion in the meantime due to the fact that the road has more lanes than we need." That thought process really is a no brainer. Its win/win for both the city and the people.

It seems in Bozeman the city is constantly growing but whoever designs the roads it set on keeping that (small town feel). Well you cant have your cake and eat it too. If the city is growing? How you build the roads needs to also. If the city changes their mind set needs to also.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM

7,329 posts, read 12,158,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
I do miss some aspects of Salt Lake City. I have to hand it to whoever designed Salt Lake City. They planned for the future. Its like every time they build a new road they say "we need a 2 lane road? well lets make it 4-6. SO that way when they city grows we will have less work to do. Also there will be less congestion in the meantime due to the fact that the road has more lanes than we need." That thought process really is a no brainer. Its win/win for both the city and the people.
You need to go through SLC on I-15 during afternoon rush hour, preferably when it's raining. It has congestion that puts Los Angeles to shame, and a remarkable number of folks who've never heard of lane markings. Yeah, a ways off from the interstate, where it's all new construction, they've got serious extra lanes, but evidently not where it's needed for the major N-S daily traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman