Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:52 PM

140 posts, read 139,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
A lot of people live in Belgrade or Manhattan which is economical and a very quick commute because you just hop on I-90. There is a lot of building going on so we are getting a lot more housing options. I would still agree that the real estate market is disproportionately expensive here vs. other places in Montana, but we have so many free events and activities here it is a huge plus (vs a larger city where you have to pay for everything fun you want to do).

Additionally, once you get just out of the city limits (which is about a 7 minute drive from Bozeman), you can often qualify for a rural real estate loan - for example my friend is buying a 3 bedroom place outside of town (it will take him I think 10 minutes to get into town) and will have a mortgage of $500-$700 dollars a month and rent out 2 of the rooms so he will be making money on it. He'll qualify for the loan.

So, you have to think out of the box a little, but honestly there is so much to do outside of your house, you don't need a big house here in Bozeman, and there are plenty of smaller properties for sale for less money now with the building boom and the drop in real estate prices. I think it is a cool town and getting manageable. We also have a free bus system which is cool, and a trail system that is so good you can bike from the national forest on the north side of the city to the national forest on the south side of the city without having to bike on the roads.
I thought everyone on here was just trolling about the cost of living until i actually visited last summer. Theres almost no middle class. For the most part the people i met there were either filthy rich or dirt poor. We found out real fast that we could'nt afford to live there but i still think its a nice city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 07:47 PM

17,278 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
I thought everyone on here was just trolling about the cost of living until i actually visited last summer. Theres almost no middle class. For the most part the people i met there were either filthy rich or dirt poor. We found out real fast that we could'nt afford to live there but i still think its a nice city.
If you believe the internet, the volcano at Yellowstone is going to destroy the upper corner of the country!
Yellowstone geologist talks threat of supervolcano eruption - NBC Montana

Old 11-25-2017, 08:02 AM

140 posts, read 139,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If you believe the internet, the volcano at Yellowstone is going to destroy the upper corner of the country!
Yellowstone geologist talks threat of supervolcano eruption - NBC Montana
Please mention that any foreign investor you encounter

Old 12-17-2017, 12:35 PM

233 posts, read 543,360 times
Quote:

I know a few that are in both situations....the vast majority are middle or upper middle.

May want to get out and meet more people.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Roam View Post
I know a few that are in both situations....the vast majority are middle or upper middle.

Are you using the GOP definition of middle class?!? The majority of people who fall in the national scale lower middle and middle class struggle in Gallatin County. They out and out can't afford Bozeman where starter homes run 300k. I never understand where Realtors think that a household making 71K a year can afford a 1700 a month mortgage payment which is really 1900 once taxes are included. The only people I know in the area that make more than 71K a year have college degrees and/or own a business. Rank and file employees w/o a degree (still the majority of Gallatin County) are lucky to make 50K.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...db54244ad.html

Old 12-29-2017, 09:29 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
There hasn't been much of a middle class in Bozeman for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Roam View Post

Where the hell do all of these middle and upper middle class people work? Has there been that much more industry moving to town that I'm not aware of?

Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
There hasn't been much of a middle class in Bozeman for years.
What do you call the whole west side??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Where the hell do all of these middle and upper middle class people work? Has there been that much more industry moving to town that I'm not aware of?
Now that I've wondered myself... what on earth do they all find to do that suffices to buy even those midrange westside houses?

Old 12-31-2017, 06:42 AM

68 posts, read 157,417 times
Quote:
I now have a job offer in Bozeman. Im actually debating moving there for the job atm. I visited it back in June and stayed there for about a month. Back when I was applying at places. Maybe Its just because I spent a lot of time living on the Northern East Coast (New England); but I did not find Bozeman to be that expensive when compared. I mean it may be expensive when compared to places like Wyoming or Spokane, WA? Do just people in Montana find it $$? Or is the Northern East Coast just that inflated to where I dont notice? I mean I even found it cheaper than Salt Lake City, which is where I live now. I mean heck even Asheville NC was more expensive than Bozeman. Not factoring heating bills of course. Im sure those will do a nice number on your wallet. Ever since I moved out west it just seems things are a lot cheaper than on the East Coast.

Forbes Magazine and Bozeman MT got a 76/100 on their livability score? Thats extremely high! Every major city I have lived in has been in the low 60s. Score wise. I mean the US average is 60.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Maybe Im just misunderstanding this? Are people just saying its expensive for a city of its size?

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 03:36 AM..

Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
I think it's not so much that Bozeman is terribly expensive, as that everywhere has gotten expensive compared to what we were used to before the real estate bubble and the "deregulation" of electric service. Real problem is that we've lost so much industry that income hasn't kept up, and you can't support a middle class on a service economy.

And if you think midrange houses in Bozeman are high-priced, try central or Bay area California, or even Vancouver -- prices are 4 to 10 times as high for essentially the same house.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:06 AM

68 posts, read 157,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I think it's not so much that Bozeman is terribly expensive, as that everywhere has gotten expensive compared to what we were used to before the real estate bubble and the "deregulation" of electric service. Real problem is that we've lost so much industry that income hasn't kept up, and you can't support a middle class on a service economy.

And if you think midrange houses in Bozeman are high-priced, try central or Bay area California, or even Vancouver -- prices are 4 to 10 times as high for essentially the same house.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Back on EC in most places I have lived you are looking at 500k Minimum! on a home. 5 years ago this wasnt so. I do agree it is happening all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman