U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 PM

23 posts, read 53,370 times

Advertisements

Bozeman is one of the more "cosmopolitan" areas of the state (And I heavily stress, "cosmopolitan" by Montana standards). As a college town, Bozo is well educated, somewhat diverse, and populated by many people from other states. There are cowboy-looking people here and there, but the real ranchers and farmhand folks generally look like everybody else. Cowboy hats are just as cheesy here as they are anywhere.
Other posters have answered the religion question. I will just add that Bozeman people are more likely to peer pressure you into skiing at Big Sky and drinking micro brews than they are likely to force a religion on you. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM

233 posts, read 440,878 times
The great thing about Bozeman (and some of the really great places we have lived) is that I can get a $100 bottle of wine (if that suits me) with an upscale meal and walk next door and be just as comfortable drinking a PBR and munching popcorn.

I wear North Face and Mountain Hardware because it works for the activities I participate in, not to look trendy downtown. Much like the Carhartts for hunting and outdoor work. Nice hat, plenty of cattle.

Laid back with no pretenses. At least from what I see. But then again, I probably don't look much like a guy to be given grief.

Seeing a horse tied up next to a Porsche Cayenne is a thing of beauty. For 39,000 people, Bozeman has a really great flavor and mix and we have seen the full range of cities these past few decades.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM
CTC

661 posts, read 1,154,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Roam View Post
The great thing about Bozeman (and some of the really great places we have lived) is that I can get a $100 bottle of wine (if that suits me) with an upscale meal and walk next door and be just as comfortable drinking a PBR and munching popcorn.

I wear North Face and Mountain Hardware because it works for the activities I participate in, not to look trendy downtown. Much like the Carhartts for hunting and outdoor work. Nice hat, plenty of cattle.

Laid back with no pretenses. At least from what I see. But then again, I probably don't look much like a guy to be given grief.

Seeing a horse tied up next to a Porsche Cayenne is a thing of beauty. For 39,000 people, Bozeman has a really great flavor and mix and we have seen the full range of cities these past few decades.
Great post GR. I love Bozeman for it's diversity, and laid backness.Go shop at Rosauer's and see what I mean. As far as what people wear-I wear the usual Mountain Hardware, NF etc in Bozeman (cause it's usually cold this time of year and snowy-and this clothing doubles on the slopes and trails)) and Carhart, Dickies when working my shift at the mine west of town-it's about wearing what is appropriate; not the fashion...we wear what WORKS!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 26,303 times
If you like dogs (preferably labs), Subarus and partying along with an I-am-better-than-you attitude then you will LOVE Bozeman.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM

233 posts, read 440,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binxterdoodles View Post
If you like dogs (preferably labs), Subarus and partying along with an I-am-better-than-you attitude then you will LOVE Bozeman.
Golden Retrievers seem to be everywhere as well. Including the peak of Sacajawea and Hyalite.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM

352 posts, read 983,258 times
The video makes the place look pretty good. And it is, in a lot of respects.

There is quite a diversity of people living there, but a fair disparity in how they live. There are quite a few older folks and some of their families living in town, but many have been forced to move elsewhere because of ever increasing taxes for this and that. Conversely, there are hipster and redneck subcultures, and some small time gangsta wanna-bes that mostly have to content themselves creating bad graffiti and dealing sub-par ditch weed. On the darker side, drug use is bad here as in a lot of places; occasionally a prominent figure gets caught in a compromising position and is compelled to take a leave of absence. Or abscess..whichever.

Beings it's a college town, you'll get all the types associated with that institution. There are quite a few that make far more than average income for around here, and those plus the well-heeled newcomers are largely responsible for the bevy of shops that wouldn't otherwise be here. Main Street has changed considerably in the last 20 or 25 years; there might be three or four of the original businesses, but that's about it. The recent recession put a good dent in a lot of the eateries and luxury stores, but a surprising number survived.

As far as a cross section of people, you'll find a whole bunch of folks you'd find anywhere else in a ski/college/wealthy retiree town. There tends to be a startling amount of money available, so that skews the clothing, cars, and homes. You won't find many farmers or ranchers living there, or even retiring there, unless they've sold their places for a bundle and want to spend it all. There are a lot of well-to-do business owners, and some not so, and a lot of entrepreneurs, too. Starting and building a physical business there is difficult because of Bozeman's onerous bureaucracy and sky-high lease rates. Yet the social gatherings are generously attended by many people who are making a go of it and mingle accordingly.

Some of Bozeman is trust-fund heaven; I worked winters at the local ski area for many years, and marveled at the amount and scope of vacations and off-time that many of my co-workers had. So you get the not ashamed as well as the pretenders when it comes to lifestyle - some aren't embarrassed and others have gobs but go to great lengths to fit in with the Great Unwashed. Easy to spot those $3000 mountain bikes along with the second hand clothing from Goodwill. A good place to separate the wheat from the chaff is the airport; people who are just getting by with a little fun on the side do not fly first class, or even fly, for that matter. The posers show up there often.

The service industry is huge in Bozeman, and consequently you have a fair population of various immigrants. Hang out at WalMart some, it's an eye opener to see how many 6-county license plates there are in relation to the clientele walking in and out. Construction, though slowed quite a bit, also attracts a large and diverse group of work chasers.

Bozeman is also home to one of the biggest concentrations of non-profits in the U.S., many of whom address various environmental causes. So you get a fair amount of closet easterners who mix L.L. Bean with overpriced long necks at the various fern bars. You've all seen film of border collies walking sheep backs in a corral chute? He can do the same thing on Subarus in the parking lot of a trendy fundraiser.

So I guess I'd have to say Bozeman mirrors many other similar towns I've been to in the U.S. It's definitely not an ag or ranching community anymore, though they push the image that it's still a big deal. The Winter Fair was getting to be a joke, and that finally went to a place that it belongs, up in Lewistown. Now it's a real Winter Fair again, and Bozeman has it's winter dog and pony show..not that there's anything wrong with that. The bulk of the folks showing up at the ag fair had no idea what all the fuss was with the equipment and animals. I do miss seeing all the elaborate side-stepping, nose holding, and helicopter parents in the stock barns; reminded me that there are tons of folks who never saw their groceries raised.

I do jab at Bozeman quite a bit, mostly because it's so full of itself. But I have to say I can think of worse places, and there are a lot of good folks in town, too. Worth a visit, lots of pretty interesting stuff to see and if you like to nose around for little holes in the wall, shopping and eating wise, it's great.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinksters View Post
Bozeman is a town full of yuppies that wear North Face
True story.
We moved here thinking it was a cowboy town (and for my husband to go to MSU) We were hoping for horses and cows and we found long beards and dread locks...there still is a small percent of ranchers but they live outside of Bozeman.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 12,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
What's wrong with "muddin" and listening to country music? Look, if you want to live in Montana, YOU are the one who has to conform, which means hearing a little country music every now and then, not looking down upon what locals like to do for fun and most certainly, not getting critical when it comes to cowboying. Those cowboys will eat newcomers who frown upon them for breakfast which of course will be before the crack of dawn.
He would fit in with a huge percent of the college students thinking that cowboy and hick are similar. Bozeman has gone far past it's old ways and all the ranchers moved.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,495,689 times
LOL
Ranchers don't live in town anywhere, not just in Bozeman.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
CTC

661 posts, read 1,154,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagorshaveababy View Post
True story.
We moved here thinking it was a cowboy town (and for my husband to go to MSU) We were hoping for horses and cows and we found long beards and dread locks...
LOL-my neighbor's dually has a bumper sticker which reads "this machine kills hippies" I haven't seen very many dreadlocks except at the Coop. But this morning at breakfast (non chain locals kind of place) I did see someone with a longish beard, and a snowmobiller (sp?) with an Artic Cat jacket, a couple of skiers getting fueled up for their day on the slopes, a couple of rancher types, a carhart wearing electrician/roofer, a salesman (I am guessing) a yuppie woman and daughter, a couple of college students and myself, an off shift mine worker. People seemed in a good mood and there was much bantering between staff and customers.

My point: Bozeman is very diverse and friendly to boot. Don't buy into this "Bozeman is just a yuppie NF wearing town-" mentality-I have lived throughout the West (CO,NM,CA,ID,WA) and Bozeman is my favorite small city/large town hands down. And yes some of us have Subarus and Labs-but not the better than you mentality-honestly. I go to the local dog park frequently and interact with all kinds of people out with their 4 legged friends. Nothing but friendly people and for the most part friendly dogs in my experience.

We "liked" Billings, We "love" Bozeman!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or