Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 12,269 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I am new to this environment, "Blogging", so be patient with me. I live way down in West Texas. I have lived here all my life and never gave it a second thought to move anywhere else, until 4 years ago. I was offered the opportunity to spend and work the summer in the Black Hills (South Dakota). I fell in love with the mountains and climate. We are and have been in a drought for about the last, almost, 3 years. I am sick of the heat, dust, and NO rain. I want to move. I have been looking up north and thru a stoke of "divine inspiration" I found Bozeman. I have done my homework but like some locals to "justify" to me why I should try and move. I have a lot of experience to offer to the community in a lot of different areas. But then maybe the "locals" don't want any more newcomers. It appears that Bozeman has had a good growth spurt since 2000? Like the other fellow I to am concerned about the winter's. I come from West Texas where we might have one maybe two snow's a year with 6 inches being the extreme. Last two years none at all. Anyway would like to hear some input from local people. It has been my experience that these folks will tell more of the truth and more of the real deal than any body else. I look forward to hearing some replies. I can't wait to See'em: The Mountains. JH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
The winters in Bozeman are definitely going to be much colder than what you are used to in Texas. However, the weather should be the least of your concerns. Bozeman is a very expensive place to live and the wages are low across the board (This is true for all of Montana). I lived in Bozeman as a college student and I was never happier to see a place through my rear view mirror. I was flat broke and I found the town to be very pretentious. Had I not been a college student things might have been different, but that town does not have a special place in my heart. If you want the Bozeman area I would consider Livingston (if you can deal with wind), Three Forks, Manhatten, or possibly Belgrade.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Thanks WyoEagle, that is exactly the kind of information and feed back I wanted to hear. I looked at the stats and your right about the income and the housing prices. Bozeman must be a great mail box town. (great if you get checks in the mail and don't have to work). I would like to hear more feed back from others. WyoEagle was a pronounced negative, looking for a positive. Let me hear it......

Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
The climates of the Black Hills and the Bozeman area are somewhat different. Both do have real winter. You might like Southeastern Montana. Did you pick Bozeman for any reason?

Conditions vary wildly from winter to winter and within regions in Montana.
We do have drought conditions presently. And wildfires have been burning off and on all summer. The Fall rains have not happened at all in Southeastern Montana.

Bozeman can have heavy deep snow. In recent years it has not. If it does, it tends to stay all winter because it is out of the chinook (warm) wind areas. It also gets less wind than further out in the valleys. Less wind is desirable in winter especially less North wind.

A bit further North the Alberta clippers bring in harsh winter conditions fast.
If your livelihood includes travel you need be prepared for winter travel and pay attention to weather forecasts. Do not underestimate how quickly weather conditions can change.

Remember Steinbeck said Montana is what a young boy pictures when he hears about Texas. You'll be fine.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the reply historyfan. I picked Bozeman for no real reason. It is, I think, the largest town, city, in the south, southeast part of the state. I want to be close to the mountains, trees, and green. Don't care if its astro-turf. I am looking for a job as we speak, I am a little older than a kid but no where near SS checks. I have also been to Sheridan and my wife and I both loved it there, just passing thru spent one night. I have also considered Casper. There are a lot more jobs in Casper than other places in the area. Mostly oilfield and that's ok I have a background in several areas of the petroleum industry. I am open to suggestions. This is exactly the kind of information that I am looking for, honest, clear, no BS just the facts. My wife and I both want to be involved in the community where we move. I have this strong "tugging" in my spirit to be there somewhere, just not sure where yet. Keep the replies coming and come forward with your opinion(s).

Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
I have lived in Bozeman since 1970. I moved here from Helena, MT, after high school, attended Montana State University and graduated in 1974.

I always thought back then that I would eventually move away, but although I have traveled and considered other states, I LOVE BOZEMAN. I have seen it change over the years, from a town that had empty store fronts on main street, to a bustling and lively place to be and yet still be on the smaller side of the cities in Montana.

SEE IT FOR YOURSELF before you decide. Don't let the nay-sayers dissuade you from coming here to experience it for yourself. You can get used to snow. It is easier than drought, and the winters here have been more mild lately.

Visit Bozeman, and then decide. I'm not rich, I'm almost retirement age, and I love it here.

Hope that helps,
H.I. Bozeman

Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Bozeman and nearby Belgrade were recently rated in the top most small-business-friendly cities in Montana.
Bozeman, Belgrade named among the most business friendly cities in Montana - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Economy

Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Sorry I didn't get right back to you "happiness is". I appreciate the reply and the honesty. I have toyed with the idea of making a trip for a "seek and find" kind of thing. I may still do it. Money will dictate that. The beauty of our country is exactly what is written here. One fellow couldn't wait to get out and then you love it. I will have to see for myself. I am glad to know about the last update, ie: "small business friendly cities" that is encourging. I have been in the office furniture business for a LONG time, I know the business, especially the "used furniture" side of the business. I have done a little looking and it seems that there is not any used office furniture businesses in the area or for that matter anywhere in Montana. I just wanted to change professions and a way to make a living at this point in my life. However, if that's what it takes to move there then I'll open a store.....I would like to know your take on this and as someone who lives there does anyone sell used office furniture? How about some of the other larger towns. What about making sales calls in smaller towns and then delivering stuff to them? Is there even a demand for used office furniture? In my experience if you have a computer you need a desk & chair if nothing else. I will be interested to hear from you or anyone else about this.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Yes, there are used furniture businesses here, so I think that is another reason why
you should visit in person. No one can really know a place unless they experience it themselves.
An Aaron's just opened up in Bozeman last year, and there are other furniture stores,
both new and used all over the state.

I think until you come here and see for yourself, it is hard to really understand the
difference between metropolitan cities and the size of population in other states compared
to rural Montana and how that shapes the economy and supply and demand of businesses.
A smaller population = fewer customers.

My best advice is to visit Billings and Bozeman in person and talk to people in the business community in person while here.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 PM

Search DEX online for furniture, used, new, office, etc. and you will see some of the businesses that are vendors for office furniture. Notice that there are office equipment/copier/printer businesses that also sell office furniture.
Bozeman Office Furniture in Bozeman, MT | DexKnows.com

Used furniture, Bozeman
Bozeman Used Furniture in Bozeman, MT | DexKnows.com

New furniture, Bozeman
Bozeman New Furniture in Bozeman, MT | DexKnows.com

Not all the businesses show up in these online listings.
One of the largest furniture companies in Bozeman is Gallatin Valley Furniture.
Gallatin Valley Furniture Carpet One | Bozeman, Montana

Link to their office and commercial furniture section
http://www.gvfc1.com/gallery/office.php

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman