U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,630,840 times

Advertisements

Considering that the Gallatin Economic Development Council subsidizes most of the flights out of BZN, just add about another 200 on top of the price of the tickets if they run out of money. You'll also lose the flights to everywhere except PDX, DEN and SLC (all other flights are subsidized between 25k to 50k per week). There are only 67k people in all of Gallatin County and there is only a small amount of business travel that is not government related. Thus, this is a tourist spot and just expect to pay through the nose. It's not the $1,000+ fares to get in and out of Minot but still pretty pricy. If anyone thinks that GEDC can do this forever, they are delusional. I think Bozeman will lose the Right Now jobs to Oregon or Lanai and once they go, GEDC really doesn't have any big sugar daddies other than MSU.

If you could go anywhere, I think you should. Most MSU and Tech grads know they are leaving MT once they graduate. If you can't pay enough for them to afford the average 200k 1970's hovel, I mean charming fixer upper, you're just defeating yourself. Set up in a town like Ogden or Reno or Fort Collins (if in CO, better be ready to pay high wages as well) if you want a pretty place with access to easy flights. You'll get plenty of MSU grads wanting to work there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 PM

9 posts, read 32,217 times
Wow. I'm probably way too late for my comments to be of any help to the OP, but IMO most of what's been said here is wrong. I'm an engineer who lives in Bozeman. I have quite a few friends who are engineers, computer scientists, business owners, etc.

Bozeman's cost of living is more expensive than most Montana cities, but is actually fairly close to average for the country. There are many start-ups in technical fields in Bozeman, particularly computer related. RightNow (now owned by Oracle) is only one of the better known companies. Most companies moving in here, or buying a company from here, realize that the cost of living (and cost of doing business) here is actually often less expensive than where they are coming from.

There are many local engineering firms. Little of the engineering done in the county is by Billings firms - I'd say a higher percentage of the state and federal projects are done by out of town firms.

MSU is an excellent engineering school (MT Tech is as well, but their strength is more in the mining related engineering fields). Many (most?) of the graduates would like to stay here after graduating.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or