Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,709 times

Advertisements

National study results reported in the Bozeman Chronicle today:
Study: Gallatin County healthiest in state for 4th consecutive year - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Health

Gallatin county has the lowest mortality rate in the state, lowest teen births,
lowest adult obesity rate, lowest adult smoker rate, ...more info in the link above.
"Gallatin County also ranked highest in health factors measured by behaviors, clinical care, social and economic factors and the environment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
National study results reported in the Bozeman Chronicle today:
Study: Gallatin County healthiest in state for 4th consecutive year - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Health

Gallatin county has the lowest mortality rate in the state, lowest teen births,
lowest adult obesity rate, lowest adult smoker rate, ...more info in the link above.
"Gallatin County also ranked highest in health factors measured by behaviors, clinical care, social and economic factors and the environment."

This makes logical sense.

Gallatin County which the city of Bozeman exists in on average is a rather wealthy city is it compares to towns immediately outside it's borders.

Bozeman has a very high percentage of professionals that earn much better than the state average.

This demographic also is notably healthy on average due to the norms within their class strata promoting fitness over obesity.
Money perpetuates health which in turn perpetuates money.

I would like to see health statistics concerning Gallatin county as it compares to Big Horn County which Crow Agency exists in.

In the end the healthiest are the wealthiest.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
You need to take this news article with a grain of salt as the U Wisconsin study didn't account for the very large college student population in Bozeman (about 30% of town residents). That is why there is a spike in the "some college" population as a first year college dropout qualifies as "some college".

Most Bozeman professionals, unless they telecommute or commute to CA for the work week, are paid a lot less than they would in other areas of the country. Montana State fresh grads cause downward pressure on wages and the high cost of living means the ones who stay have a lower quality of life than they would have in other cities in the state.

Bozeman is very much a city of haves and have-nots unlike the rest of the state. In much of Montana, the haves care about the city they live in and ensuring that businesses can grow organically so the have-nots are able to become haves. In Bozeman, it is about the next eco-non-profit startup (funded by people in CA who think MT is just a big park), shutting down gravel pits that have been operating for years, maintaining the "pretty views" so they can sell the next condominium project to LA trust fund babies, and making high paying jobs for Montanans like the waiter position at the new Olive Garden.

Crow Agency is very small compared to Hardin, which is the county seat. It is not a fair comparison to compare a reservation small town of 1,000 to a college town of 48,000 that is home to a bunch of trust fund babies who live there because it is pretty. Reservation residents, particularly on the Crow Reservation, are there because they can't afford to live anywhere else.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
You need to take this news article with a grain of salt as the U Wisconsin study didn't account for the very large college student population in Bozeman (about 30% of town residents). That is why there is a spike in the "some college" population as a first year college dropout qualifies as "some college".

Most Bozeman professionals, unless they telecommute or commute to CA for the work week, are paid a lot less than they would in other areas of the country. Montana State fresh grads cause downward pressure on wages and the high cost of living means the ones who stay have a lower quality of life than they would have in other cities in the state.

Bozeman is very much a city of haves and have-nots unlike the rest of the state. In much of Montana, the haves care about the city they live in and ensuring that businesses can grow organically so the have-nots are able to become haves. In Bozeman, it is about the next eco-non-profit startup (funded by people in CA who think MT is just a big park), shutting down gravel pits that have been operating for years, maintaining the "pretty views" so they can sell the next condominium project to LA trust fund babies, and making high paying jobs for Montanans like the waiter position at the new Olive Garden.

Crow Agency is very small compared to Hardin, which is the county seat. It is not a fair comparison to compare a reservation small town of 1,000 to a college town of 48,000 that is home to a bunch of trust fund babies who live there because it is pretty. Reservation residents, particularly on the Crow Reservation, are there because they can't afford to live anywhere else.
Like I have said before, don't believe the negativity about Bozeman-especially coming from people who have an axe to grind.

Right now in my neighborhood (West Village) they are building like crazy (at least 20-30 new homes). These are not fancy homes, they are 180-200k starter homes. Who is building them? Contractors/builders who make good pay. Who is buying them? Average middle class types-many of whom I see every day-walking/jogging/biking (hence their healthy status) No, these are not Butte types (yoga pants give them away)-but they are not trust funders either (has anyone even met one of these mythical "trust funders before"??.

There is an IT/Computer boom going on in Bozeman-check it out (Indeed.Com etc). My wife and I love Bozeman and are not rich CA trustfunders- I work at a mine West of town-she works at Bozeman Deaconess. Our rent seems very reasonable-1200/month for a nice nearly brand new 3 bedroom Town Home. Same price we paid in Billings a few years back. Our combined income in Bozeman is 20% more than it was in Billings.

Olive Garden wait staff seemed pretty happy to me the other night! Lots of good tips I am sure. Same with the Outback-

The other night every place in town was so packed we had to go to the Bamboo garden for Chinese Buffet (which is actually quite good)

People here smile and are very friendly-some because they came from less desirable places-cannot blame them!

And yes the skiing/hiking/fishing/living is pretty darn good.

Don't believe the Bozeman haters!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post

I didn't say to compare the city of Bozeman to Crow Agency, I said to compare Gallatin County to
Big Horn County. The statistics would be very interesting.

I'm originally from Helena and have a degree from Carroll College.
I neither hate Bozeman nor do I like Bozeman, Bozeman simply exists.
Personally I am a Missoula fan since my wife has her Masters from UM.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,709 times
Yes, there is a growth of middle income housing in Bozeman right now. It is a place that attracts people who are interested in outdoor sports, fitness, walking, running, hiking, skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman