U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM

57 posts, read 111,805 times

Advertisements

After two years of planning we have just moved from Australia to bozeman. We have settled well considering we have only been here a couple of weeks. Have managed to rent a nice fully furnished house, got our son enrolled at Bozeman High School, got a car, phones and all those other immediate necesities. Now it is time to source good local services, initially, doctor, dentist and hairdresser. If there are any locals that have people they can recommend it would be greatly appreciated. Our needs are:

Doctor - We are looking for a good general doctor that is open to natural therapies as well. Even better, a medical doctor that is also a naturopath or homeopath or works in conjunction with alternative therapists.

Dentist - We need a really good dentist as my teeth are all crowns due to childhood illness. Also our son needs an orthodontist as he had braces and now wears a retainer.

Hairdresser - My husband and son can pretty much go anywhere but I have fine straight hair that has a couple of weird kinks so I need an awesome cutter. When cut right it can look great but if not it is awful. It took me two years to find one where we used to live and I'm hoping someone here can help me shorten that process.

It is early days yet but we love it here. It is so beautiful, the people are friendly and the fresh local produce makes me nearly weep with happiness. Between the Co-Op and the two markets I am in food heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 PM

4,161 posts, read 3,496,291 times
Dentist Dr Leslie Hayes, she is very good.
I know good doctors but not homeopaths. Chiropractors like Brian Jensen carry some supplements.
More produce Bountiful Baskets - it's year round food cooperative with great breads..bountifulbaskets.org. You sign up early like today. Then on Monday at 10 AM sharp, sign in & place order with credit card...minimum one basket $16.50 per basket....pick up on Saturday...more or less half fruit half vegetables. The add-ons are great. This is available throughout Montana. It is especially nice in winter when there are no farmers markets.You can look at Facebook bountiful baskets Montana to get idea what it's like. You need take a cooler or laundry basket or something to carry stuff away from site. The baskets stay there.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,770,420 times
What?! My niece gets her Bountiful Basket delivered to her house . Of course, she lives in the Seattle area...but still, we are getting the short end of the stick here. Kidding aside...I second the recommend of Bountiful . I love the fresh produce when we're azz deep in snow.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:58 PM
CTC

661 posts, read 1,158,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoski View Post
After two years of planning we have just moved from Australia to bozeman. We have settled well considering we have only been here a couple of weeks. Have managed to rent a nice fully furnished house, got our son enrolled at Bozeman High School, got a car, phones and all those other immediate necesities. Now it is time to source good local services, initially, doctor, dentist and hairdresser. If there are any locals that have people they can recommend it would be greatly appreciated. Our needs are:

Doctor - We are looking for a good general doctor that is open to natural therapies as well. Even better, a medical doctor that is also a naturopath or homeopath or works in conjunction with alternative therapists.

Dentist - We need a really good dentist as my teeth are all crowns due to childhood illness. Also our son needs an orthodontist as he had braces and now wears a retainer.

Hairdresser - My husband and son can pretty much go anywhere but I have fine straight hair that has a couple of weird kinks so I need an awesome cutter. When cut right it can look great but if not it is awful. It took me two years to find one where we used to live and I'm hoping someone here can help me shorten that process.

It is early days yet but we love it here. It is so beautiful, the people are friendly and the fresh local produce makes me nearly weep with happiness. Between the Co-Op and the two markets I am in food heaven.
Glad you like it! Rosuaers is pretty much our favorite store these days-a good compromise btween the CO Op and places like Safeway and Albertson's.

If you think it beautiful now, wait for the first dusting of snow on the mountains! And I agree 100% that Bozeman is very friendly!

Sorry but I don't have recomends for your service needs--but Bozeman is big enough that you should find what you need

Congrats on finding housing-things are tight right now-and they are building like crazy

Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,503,542 times
I prefer getting my groceries at locally owned Town and Country, one location is by MSU campus across from the Fieldhouse on 11th, and the other is on N 19th. The one by campus has a more complete butcher counter, the one on 19th has frozen and fresh meat, but both carry local area organically raised beef and the Hutterite organic milk brand Lifeline Farm. I also shop at locally owned small Heeb's on E Main and sometimes at the co-op.

Doctor - I recommend Dr Andrea Cady at Bozeman Creek Family Practice.

Dentist - I recommend Dr. Spainhower on Kagy. He has long years of experience, but has up-to-date technology. The last time I needed a crown, he didn't have to take molds, as he now uses a computer scanner that creates a perfect fitting crown (like using Photoshop) in the same appointment. I've been going to him for over 20 years.

I hope that helps.

H.I.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,503,542 times
Livetoski, go on Facebook and join the group "Secret Bozeman", where people ask questions of other residents about what to find and where.

For excellent hair stylist, I recommend Steffanie Morales at Hip On Main. It is by appointment only. She lives part of the time out of state, but she is excellent.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM

57 posts, read 111,805 times
Thanks so much everyone for all the fabulous info. Also, all the additional hints for food supplies. It is so exciting learning new things and finding our way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman