U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2016, 11:28 AM
 
1,609 posts, read 2,948,819 times
Reputation: 2236

Advertisements

There is a Black Angus restaurant in Bozeman. (Don't think it is part of the chain you are talking about) It use to be THE place you took your parents to when they would come visit you at MSU. My cousin worked there the night the manager told the Fondas that there were no tables available and they couldn't help them unless they had a reservation. It was Mother's Day and they were packed. They played the "don't you know who I am" card. They left in a big huff. No one cares who you are round these parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,341 posts, read 1,002,318 times
Reputation: 430
Omaha steaks are great too. Easy to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2016, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Smoky Mountains
43 posts, read 34,199 times
Reputation: 48
Default Wagyu beef is very good

The fresh Wagyu beef we bought was very good!!! Will be buying more in the future, but shipped out frozen to my home in the Smoky Mountains. The Omaha and other beef is not as good as the Wagyu in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2016, 11:45 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,341 posts, read 1,002,318 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidster View Post
The fresh Wagyu beef we bought was very good!!! Will be buying more in the future, but shipped out frozen to my home in the Smoky Mountains. The Omaha and other beef is not as good as the Wagyu in my opinion.
So where can I buy this kind of beef? I would have to mail order it since I am in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 12:03 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,951 times
Reputation: 21
www.montanawagyu.com

They are located in Belgrade, but he is willing to meet you somewhere so you don't have to go all the way to the ranch. I've purchased steaks from Rick. He is a great guy and more than willing to talk about his beef and how his ranch is run. They now also carry Kurobuta pork now. He will meet you somewhere so you don't have to go all the way to the ranch. He will do custom cuts at no extra charge. His prices are more than reasonable and you know where you beef is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,341 posts, read 1,002,318 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by exbauer View Post
www.montanawagyu.com

They are located in Belgrade, but he is willing to meet you somewhere so you don't have to go all the way to the ranch. I've purchased steaks from Rick. He is a great guy and more than willing to talk about his beef and how his ranch is run. They now also carry Kurobuta pork now. He will meet you somewhere so you don't have to go all the way to the ranch. He will do custom cuts at no extra charge. His prices are more than reasonable and you know where you beef is coming from.


I'm hungry now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Smoky Mountains
43 posts, read 34,199 times
Reputation: 48
When I met Rick it was off of Huffine Ln, 1/2 way between Bozeman and Four Corners. I was impressed with Rick. A very nice guy and he spent some time talking with me. He gave me some valuable advice on how to cook Wagyu beef. Some, or most of what he told me were lessons he learned from the chefs at Big Sky where he sells a lot of his beef steak. The flavor was great and well marbled with tasty fat. The fat melts at a much lower temperature than non-Wagyu beef and that means it is best when cooked rare or medium-rare. Even when I cooked some to medium doneness the meat was a little 'dry' and less flavorful since almost all the fat melted away. So, it was best when I cooked and seared it over high heat. It cooks very quickly. Have everything else ready and do NOT try to do another task at the same time. Rick said the best method is to cook it on a large, hot rock. A restaurant in Big Sky will bring hot rocks that have been heated in an oven along with small strips of raw Wagyu beef out to the customer's table. Then the customer can cook small amounts and get the most enjoyment in terms of flavor. Cooked in traditional fashion, by throwing the entire steak on a grill is not the best way, it will cool too quickly before you can finish the whole steak. Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying some Wagyu beef. This was the best beef steak I've had in a long time. I am buying the frozen beef from Rick now and having it shipped to my front door. If you were to tell him the guy who had a mountain accent bought some fresh beef from him on August 12th he will remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 12:23 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,341 posts, read 1,002,318 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidster View Post
When I met Rick it was off of Huffine Ln, 1/2 way between Bozeman and Four Corners. I was impressed with Rick. A very nice guy and he spent some time talking with me. He gave me some valuable advice on how to cook Wagyu beef. Some, or most of what he told me were lessons he learned from the chefs at Big Sky where he sells a lot of his beef steak. The flavor was great and well marbled with tasty fat. The fat melts at a much lower temperature than non-Wagyu beef and that means it is best when cooked rare or medium-rare. Even when I cooked some to medium doneness the meat was a little 'dry' and less flavorful since almost all the fat melted away. So, it was best when I cooked and seared it over high heat. It cooks very quickly. Have everything else ready and do NOT try to do another task at the same time. Rick said the best method is to cook it on a large, hot rock. A restaurant in Big Sky will bring hot rocks that have been heated in an oven along with small strips of raw Wagyu beef out to the customer's table. Then the customer can cook small amounts and get the most enjoyment in terms of flavor. Cooked in traditional fashion, by throwing the entire steak on a grill is not the best way, it will cool too quickly before you can finish the whole steak. Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying some Wagyu beef. This was the best beef steak I've had in a long time. I am buying the frozen beef from Rick now and having it shipped to my front door. If you were to tell him the guy who had a mountain accent bought some fresh beef from him on August 12th he will remember it.
oN A Friday or Saturday night are there long lines to wait at this restaurant? Is there parking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Montana
387 posts, read 322,322 times
Reputation: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidster View Post
When I met Rick it was off of Huffine Ln, 1/2 way between Bozeman and Four Corners. I was impressed with Rick. A very nice guy and he spent some time talking with me. He gave me some valuable advice on how to cook Wagyu beef. Some, or most of what he told me were lessons he learned from the chefs at Big Sky where he sells a lot of his beef steak. The flavor was great and well marbled with tasty fat. The fat melts at a much lower temperature than non-Wagyu beef and that means it is best when cooked rare or medium-rare. Even when I cooked some to medium doneness the meat was a little 'dry' and less flavorful since almost all the fat melted away. So, it was best when I cooked and seared it over high heat. It cooks very quickly. Have everything else ready and do NOT try to do another task at the same time. Rick said the best method is to cook it on a large, hot rock. A restaurant in Big Sky will bring hot rocks that have been heated in an oven along with small strips of raw Wagyu beef out to the customer's table. Then the customer can cook small amounts and get the most enjoyment in terms of flavor. Cooked in traditional fashion, by throwing the entire steak on a grill is not the best way, it will cool too quickly before you can finish the whole steak. Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying some Wagyu beef. This was the best beef steak I've had in a long time. I am buying the frozen beef from Rick now and having it shipped to my front door. If you were to tell him the guy who had a mountain accent bought some fresh beef from him on August 12th he will remember it.
Sounds great. I use a Thermapen to cook my meats (venison and game meat especially you just can't over cook or it gets tough due to the lack of fat), and haven't had a problem with overcooked meat in a long, long time. I wish all restaurants did this, because I hate eating anything more than medium-rare. It really is a fool-proof way to do it, and have found that the palm of your hand thing is so much less reliable. I even use it on salmon and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2016, 03:25 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,341 posts, read 1,002,318 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
There is a Black Angus restaurant in Bozeman. (Don't think it is part of the chain you are talking about) It use to be THE place you took your parents to when they would come visit you at MSU. My cousin worked there the night the manager told the Fondas that there were no tables available and they couldn't help them unless they had a reservation. It was Mother's Day and they were packed. They played the "don't you know who I am" card. They left in a big huff. No one cares who you are round these parts.
Sounds like Commiefornicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top