U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:50 PM

43 posts, read 34,136 times

Advertisements

Who carries the freshest and best, beef steaks in the Bozeman area? Is all the beef in the stores grass-fed beef? I am hoping to locate a good grain-fed beef steak to cook over an open fire, I mean a charcoal fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 11:02 AM

7,030 posts, read 8,191,258 times
If it's still open, check out the Meat Shoppe on north Rouse. Might be worth a look.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:13 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,444,432 times
The New Yorks at Costco are the best by far. Costco carries Prime where most stores would be darn lucky to get meat ranked Choice.

The Meat Block also has good steaks.

Without getting into political merits, grass fed will not have marbling....marbling melts when cooked and makes the steak butter knife tender.

Dry aging is what makes difference between a quite good steak and an excellent steak.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 AM

I did some online searching of my own but its difficult to know the quality and choices being offered. Thanks for the info on the places above. With at least 3 to 4 choices it will give me a chance to visit all these places since I'll be in the area for 7-10 days.

I looked at the website for the Meat Shoppe and it appeared to be all about catering, so I dismissed it as a retail store. So, good to know it might be a good choice after all. I'll be sure to check out the Meat Block and Costco stores since I am always wanting Prime grade, or better. I just hope the beef actually has some fat left on them.

I've read some interesting facts about grass-fed, and it appears there could be some similarities to how my grandfather raised his cattle back in his day. He always finished off his cattle with cracked corn, but they also were kept in the pasture and ate grass too. All I can say is that up until my late teens I knew nothing about how poor the choices were for good beef if one relied on the typical grocery store for their beef. Even at the butcher shops, the Prime beef was a bit too lean for me when it came to the real test, eating the beef. My older bother picked up the techniques of raising beef cattle from our grandfather and he achieved some success.

I remember my grandfather always slaughtered his own stock on the ranch. He had one guy to help and they basically finished up in time for them to drive it to a place where it would hang and dry age. The beef was well marbled and as for the fat, he never trimmed the fat off of his steaks or roasts. I remember it being about 3/4" thick. When we broiled our steaks the fat would sizzle and sputter under the heat. It would brown and crisp up so good. In fact it was as good as any other part of the steak. Perhaps a little better. Anyway, we always ate all the fat. So, who truly knows about the true merits of good quality beet fat? As for me, I never knew how fortunate I was growing up and never knowing just how poor the choices would be after my grandfather passed on.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:23 PM

387 posts, read 321,958 times
Best steaks are at Montana Fish Company (it says fish but they have amazing steaks), or Co-Op on West Main. They have grass fed beef and it is a great steak usually. Note that MFC is at a temporary location for remodeling, so don't use google and go to the East Main St. storefront, as it isn't active right now. The current address is on the poster below. Co-Op is right beside the Lewis & Clark Motel on W. Main.

https://www.bozo.coop/meat-and-seafood
Attached Thumbnails
Where's the best beef steak in Bozeman?-13512187_1268262806517163_4330077303224030142_n.jpg  

Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 PM

OK, more choices is a good thing! I am eager to taste which cuts are going to make the grade. I'm thinking of getting a NY strip steak with the 'Prime' grade from Costco (feedlot cattle probably) and later on a similar cut of a grass-fed NY strip steak from the Co-Op or MFC. It should make for an interesting couple of meals.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 AM

154 posts, read 218,677 times
Personally, I’ve had mixed results with Costco steaks. Some very good, others just ok.
I’d go with the local Montana beef every time.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:57 PM

Very good point! I expect Costco is likely buying 'feedlot' meat at bulk pricing to keep their own profit margins stable. That said however, I plan to peruse the meat selection in the event they have some well-marbled NY strip steaks. A nice wide streak of white fat down the side would be a bonus. As anyone who has spent time cutting a loin into strip steaks should know, there is a good end of the loin and, a better end of the loin. Once a shopper figures out which end of the loin they prefer then the buying decision is one step closer to being finalized.

There is also some consideration to be given with regard to supporting local ranchers by buying their product. As I have said many times, I like Montanans and have met a few ranchers over the years. I expect to head over to MFC or the Co-Op as my first choice. For all I know at this time there may be no need to shop Costco if I'm generally satisfied with the local produce.

Plus, what is the latest news about Rick Woienski, owner of Montana Wagyu Cattle Co. in Belgrade? I understand the beef he sells is great, but quite pricey. I read somewhere that places in Big Sky may have it fresh, but I do not find any stores on-line that sell fresh, Montana raised Wagyu beef. Now, that could be a terrific possibility, although I might need a bank loan to buy any of it!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,444,432 times
Costco has federally inspected Prime New York strips and some other Prime cuts, the rest of meat is all USDA Choice. It is a big deal for me to be able to buy USDA Prime meat.

USDA Prime is typically only available for high end restaurants to purchase. It will likely not be found at local meat shops. I could be wrong but I have not seen it for sale. But properly aged Choice cuts can be quite good.

Last edited by historyfan; 06-28-2016 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 06-28-2016, 04:43 PM

387 posts, read 321,958 times
Here is an interesting article on Wagyu / Kobe beef.

Forbes Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or