U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 02:10 PM

19 posts, read 9,696 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm planning to move to Bozeman, MT within the next 2 years. Spent such a beautiful time in whole Montana this summer but the Bozeman area made me feel like home the most. Actually, I felt more like home than I ever did in Germany so far. I know that it's a complete difficult situation to be on vacation or to live there. But I always knew that I will not end up in Germany and that I actually belong somewhere else. Now I'm sure that I have found this place in Montana. So I'm just at the beginning of those emigration plans but I have some questions already:

1. How difficult is it for me as a German to find a job in Montana or Bozeman?

2. I know that as an employer you have to prove that the specific job can only be done by the person from abroad in order for this person to get the relevant visa. Does someone know something about this process?

3. Is Bozeman a safe place when you are living alone?

4. How easy is it to get in touch with other people and make new friends? In Germany I never have problems to get in touch with new people. Also, I made the experience this summer that the people in Bozeman are very friendly and open hearted. Is this impression right?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Regards,

Babsi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:49 PM

7,041 posts, read 8,199,280 times
Hi there,
I'm planning to move to Bozeman, MT within the next 2 years. Spent such a beautiful time in whole Montana this summer but the Bozeman area made me feel like home the most. Actually, I felt more like home than I ever did in Germany so far. I know that it's a complete difficult situation to be on vacation or to live there. But I always knew that I will not end up in Germany and that I actually belong somewhere else. Now I'm sure that I have found this place in Montana. So I'm just at the beginning of those emigration plans but I have some questions already:

1. How difficult is it for me as a German to find a job in Montana or Bozeman? Bozeman is competitive no matter where you're from.

2. I know that as an employer you have to prove that the specific job can only be done by the person from abroad in order for this person to get the relevant visa. Does someone know something about this process? This I don't know about. Sorry.

3. Is Bozeman a safe place when you are living alone? Yes, very safe .

4. How easy is it to get in touch with other people and make new friends? In Germany I never have problems to get in touch with new people. Also, I made the experience this summer that the people in Bozeman are very friendly and open hearted. Is this impression right? Bozeman is a college towns so is fairly diverse. I'm not sure outside of the college where you might make friends as I only lived there as a college student. There are lots of events around town.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Regards,

Babsi

Old 12-17-2017, 12:37 PM

233 posts, read 440,970 times
Bozeman is an adventure destination and college town. High tech business as well. Hunting and fishing is big.

Very diverse in interests and pursuits.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:11 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,457,677 times
Montana State University is the largest employer and probably more likely to hire from abroad than other employers, though tech, manufacturing or health employers might. If you might qualify for a professional position at MSU read this H-1B Visa Information for Foreign Workers at MSU - MSU International Student & Scholar Services | Montana State University If you are seeking another employer, it still might be useful to get the name of MSU's contracted lawyer. Or look for your own http://www.google.com/search?q=bozem...46.ORNk34HqDxw You and / or the potential employer will have to pay for legal assistance & visa fees. Before that I'd try to read everything you can about H1B and other visa options from the internet so you know what to ask, what to expect in terms of cost, lead time and have a better chance to interpret if people you talk to are telling truth.

If you are young and / or willing to work in retail / food service, there are usually short term summer opportunities in Yellowstone Park related businesses. That would be far easier to get. Many pay poorly but it is an option if you can't get better. Could pursue a permanent position in your off time. Unless you have special skills it would probably be hard to get a long term H1B position but meeting in person might help increase prospects. Be aware that some employers using these programs might not be best employers. Some seek foreign workers to take advantage of them in ways American workers likely would not tolerate and report to law enforcement officials.

It could work out but be careful and be prepared to work hard to make it happen. Contact your Embassy for assistance. Try to get in contact with Germans who are doing it or have done it for advice.

This is one place where you might find possible job opportunities https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=German&l=Montana

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-18-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 11:57 AM

Groups and Organizations - Office of International Programs | Montana State University

Might find help from Rotary Club or social opportunities with one or more of the mentioned groups even though not a student. Could try and see what happens.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:55 PM

765 posts, read 479,144 times
I don't know if the OP is still checking this thread, but it would help to let us know your education and work experience. That will help us tailor our responses.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:52 AM

Thank you so much @NW Crow and @ericsvibe for your kind help and information.

I think the education is quite different in Germany than in the US. So I checked Google regarding that. If I understood everything right I got a high school and a associate's degree. Now I'm already working in my job (office) for more than 17 years. But I'm really interested to start something new. I never wanted to work in an office and would like to do something with animals or/and in nature. Actually, I would do almost everything if it means that I don't have to work in an office anymore.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 PM

Could try to sell a major hotel or tour company on hiring you to coordinate tours of Yellowstone by Germans and other Europeans. Some office work but could try to be out in the field with them too.
One candidate: Chico Hot Springs Resort.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:32 PM

That sounds absolutely awesome!! It would be exactly what I'm dreaming of. Thank you very much for this great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or