U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:44 AM

4,256 posts, read 4,058,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoStater View Post
... 3) wildlife. I grew up in an area with 0 large predators (the biggest was the fox or bobcat). I never felt any fear whatsoever in going outside at night and playing basketball on the concrete patio beside our house for hours on end, unsupervised. I never felt any fear walking around our country neighborhood. I never hesitated to walk through the woods (just keep an eye out for snakes). Can you ever let your guard down in areas with grizzlies, black bears, mountain lions, moose, etc.? That'd be a huge change for me.
This should not be something you need to fret about. In fact, it is one of the awesome things about living in the northern Rocky Mountain states. Bears are not a concern near population centers. Out in the boonies? Sure. Maybe. Moose and cougars tend to avoid humans, but you may see them on occasion, especially moose and elk. Consider yourself lucky if you see a cat in the wilds.

It is a similar analogy to my fear of tornadoes and hurricanes. They terrify me! Probably because I never lived in an area where they occur. On the other hand, I have no fear of earthquakes and firestorms. And that is probably because I grew up with them and experienced a lot of them.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 10:53 AM

21,516 posts, read 21,294,100 times
Quote:
I figured. That's always been a major strike against it, in my book. It has a few things going for it, though, if I can get past the religion and ludicrous expense:
  1. Plentiful snowfall
  2. Ridiculously awesome skiing with great powder
  3. 229 days of sunshine
  4. Moderate highs during the summer (upper 70s and low 80s)
  5. Close proximity to a major airport
  6. Close proximity to a big city with lots of social/sporting events

But again, I'd have to swallow my general disdain for organized religion and also sell both of my kidneys, plus half of my liver.
As you have noted, Park City is expensive. Other than that, I bet you'd love it there. I'm assuming from your comments that you have visited there before and probably even skied there. I can almost guarantee that you'd find the religious influence of the LDS Church to be very minimal there. I'm not really sure where NDak15's contempt for Mormonism comes from, but I see it in so many of his posts that at this point, I pretty much just dismiss it as religious bigotry. Park City is a very liberal small city with tons of stuff to do and residents that have moved there from all over the country.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:58 AM

41 posts, read 16,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
This should not be something you need to fret about. In fact, it is one of the awesome things about living in the northern Rocky Mountain states. Bears are not a concern near population centers. Out in the boonies? Sure. Maybe. Moose and cougars tend to avoid humans, but you may see them on occasion, especially moose and elk. Consider yourself lucky if you see a cat in the wilds.

It is a similar analogy to my fear of tornadoes and hurricanes. They terrify me! Probably because I never lived in an area where they occur. On the other hand, I have no fear of earthquakes and firestorms. And that is probably because I grew up with them and experienced a lot of them.
That's a great analogy. I've lived through (literally) a dozen or more hurricanes, so at this point, I've realized they're just a big thunderstorm with high winds. That's it. Nothing magical about them. You also see them coming a week or more in advance. It's like being afraid of a steamroller (it's slow, it may or may not hit you, you have plenty of time to step out of the way, and any objects damaged you simply repair afterwards).

Personally, I think grizzly bears are a much more terrifying concern.

I'm thinking about scheduling a ski vacation in late December/early January. How's the drive from Big Sky to Bozeman around that time?

Old 09-30-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As you have noted, Park City is expensive. Other than that, I bet you'd love it there. I'm assuming from your comments that you have visited there before and probably even skied there. I can almost guarantee that you'd find the religious influence of the LDS Church to be very minimal there. I'm not really sure where NDak15's contempt for Mormonism comes from, but I see it in so many of his posts that at this point, I pretty much just dismiss it as religious bigotry. Park City is a very liberal small city with tons of stuff to do and residents that have moved there from all over the country.
Honestly, I've never really been anywhere out west besides Colorado (Fort Collins/Estes Park/Boulder), and I've never skied out west at all. Anything I've written in here is something I've learned from researching the areas. Obviously, that's not ideal, but the west is a huge area, and I have a very limited amount of time to explore.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:09 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,622,136 times
Major predators are a concern. The risk is low but there are occasional threatened attacks, attacks, injuries and deaths. The risk is lower than a robbery attempt from a human but better to think about it than totally ignore it. Solo travel is the riskiest. Travel in a group is safer. Bear spray and / or a gun of sufficient size are options, some say requirements.

I haven't had a bad encounter but I've seen evidence of bears in my backyard and pretty fresh scat on hiking trails. I've been camping where there have tent attacks and cars busted open and on trails where there were attacks, before or after. I've been solo hiking deep in British Columbia down a hundred miles of dirt road and a bit nervous but exploring. I might not be as bold today. I read in newspapers about the occasional hiker deaths (a couple a year these days. such as the 2 fatal cougar attacks in northwest this summer). It is a concern. I make noise and keep my eyes & ears alert. I remind myself about the various self-defense strategies. If they want to get at you, the odds with surprise will often favor them. They're pros. Pros with caution, easier targets, usually better things to do but some break the pattern for one reason or another. Being surprised / fearful for themselves or young ones, real hungry or real aggressive.

It kinda depends how much a worrier or risk taker you are. The drive to the woods (or sleeping in your house or stopping at a gas station) is probably riskier than the time in the woods but they all have risk. I remember hearing (long after the event) about the brother of a college neighbor who got attacked in Glacier long ago. He was unlucky yet lucky to survive. Lots of blood loss, tough evac and a 150 stitches. I kept hiking. I dunno if he did. It happens. Rarely and usually less but bad stuff can happen. Virtually anywhere, anytime. But mostly we do what we want to do.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-30-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Major predators are a concern. The risk is low but there occasional threatened attacks, attacks, injuries and deaths. The risk is lower than a robbery attempt from a human but better to think about it than totally ignore it. Solo travel is the riskiest. Travel in a group is safer. Bear spray and / or a gun of sufficient size are options, some say requirements.

I haven't had an encounter but I've seen evidence of bears in my backyard and pretty fresh scat on hiking trails. I've been camping where there have tent attacks and cars busted open and on trails where there were attacks, before or after. I read in newspaper about the occasional hiker deaths (a couple a year these days. such as the 2 fatal cougar attacks in northwest this summer). It is a concern as I mostly hike alone. I make noise and keep my eyes & ears alert. I remind myself about the various self-defense strategies. If they want to get at you, the odds with surprise will often favor them. They're pros. Pros with caution, easier targets, usually better things to do but some break the pattern for one reason or another. Being surprised / fearful for themselves or young ones, real hungry or real aggressive.

It kinda depends how much a worrier or risk taker you are. The drive to the woods (or sleeping in your house or stopping at a gas station) is probably riskier than the time in the woods but they all have risk. I remember hearing (long after tge event) about the brother of a college neighbor who got attacked in Glacier long ago. He was unlucky yet lucky to survive. Lots of blood loss, tough evac and a 150 stitches. I kept hiking. I dunno if he did.
I'm a weird combination of extreme worrier, extreme preparer, and fairly adventurous. I'd carry bear spray with me everywhere I went. Driving to ski? Bear spray. Hiking? Bear spray. Taking out the trash? Bear spray. Hot date? Bear spray. Sitting on a second-floor toilet? Bear spray.

If those bastards are going to get me, they're going to have to earn it.

The thing is, I'd always think twice before going out to do anything, and I'd always be looking over my shoulder when I was outside. Is it possible to enjoy a place when you're on high alert all day?

Old 09-30-2018, 02:14 PM

Yes. Maybe not as much as if you were totally care free; but, after the day is done, you hold on to the positives and let the other stuff go.

The thing with bear spray is having it ready for quick draw, knowing how to spray it and spraying it in time. Not 100% effective (eventually you got to move away from that sprayed arc) but often will be.

Bear spray in a 2nd floor bathroom? That would be beyond the usual caution... but I occasionally hear of bears entering houses (by open door or window)... Earlier this summer I saw a video of a bear opening a car door like a human and a report of a bear that somehow started a car and drove it a bit.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-30-2018 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I occasionally hear of bears entering houses (by open door or window)... Earlier this summer I saw a video of a bear opening a car door like a human and a report of a bear that somehow started a car and drove it a bit.
They say some chimps and monkeys have entered the stone age. What's going to happen when grizzly bears enter the iron age? Grizzly bears with katanas.

How are the roads around/between Bozeman and Big Sky in winter? I'm considering booking a flight out there after Christmas.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:18 PM

I am not a skier and haven't done that road in winter. Renting a 4wd is probably a good idea unless it is a huge premium or the roads are tamer than normal. Pretty good elevation gain. Follows the river. Not particularly scary imo.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM

4,288 posts, read 3,634,187 times
Quote:
I'm a weird combination of extreme worrier, extreme preparer, and fairly adventurous. I'd carry bear spray with me everywhere I went. Driving to ski? Bear spray. Hiking? Bear spray. Taking out the trash? Bear spray. Hot date? Bear spray. Sitting on a second-floor toilet? Bear spray.

If those bastards are going to get me, they're going to have to earn it.

The thing is, I'd always think twice before going out to do anything, and I'd always be looking over my shoulder when I was outside. Is it possible to enjoy a place when you're on high alert all day?

I'm thinking that bear spray is not the worst idea, but truly I'd be more worried about human predators than animal ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or