Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Not sure if I am grateful for the pictures and weather update. I think I went right from grateful to panic. I seriously want to keep her in FL. Sometimes it is not so easy to let your children go to follow their dreams. But thank you for the updates.

I am truly sorry.............it was not my intent to increase your level of anxiety.

All my life, I have always wanted to be aware of ALL aspects related to a particular situation or set of circumstances that could effect my family or me.
I have been criticized (and justly so) for being so detail oriented and always having to know all related and un-related facets of a given situation.

All I can say is: there were times after our daughter (our only child) graduated college that we didn't agree with some choices and decisions she made. However, we were always there to give our opinions (if they were asked for) and then let her make the final decision. During our 51 years of marriage my wife and I did not always see alike as to the type of advice (if it was asked for) that seemed appropriate (from our respective points of view.)

Some how it all worked out very well. She is now 54, happily married for 15 years, (didn't take the big step until 39), a highly respected teacher for 25 years and the finest daughter a father could have. When my wife passed a few years ago, she was my strength. And the fact that she and I are both cancer surgery survivors, allows us to view life from a very specific point of view..............i.e. "Carpe Diem"

Don't worry mom...........................she'll do just fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
This is a good example of just "stay home" on these days
Gotta let them follow their heart.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,521 times
I gotta jump in here.

A lot of people are generally making Montana winters sound a lot more scary and worse than they really are. I would be willing to put money that your daughter will say that it is cold but otherwise not as bad as she expected. And I'd also put money that her most serious injury will be sunburn in the summer (a very common problem in Montana) and she'll probably get even more sunburned in Montana next summer than in Florida!

This snowstorm will cause quite a few people to slide off the road because the first snow of the year happens before the ground has frozen. Once it has frozen (which it will by January) then your the roads aren't nearly as slick. Others may argue for the sake of arguing or trying to prove a point, but any tow truck driver knows that the best business of the year is during the first snowstorm of the year.

Bozeman snow is not like eastern US snow that you may be familiar with. Generally I've heard that eastern US snow is heavy and difficult to drive in. Bozeman snow is light and fluffy and generally doesn't get thick. They actually don't use snowplows to clear the sidewalks at MSU, they use hydraulic powered brushes to sweep the snow away. What this means for driving is that people don't get stuck as easily because the snow is not heavy.

Bozeman in general doesn't get a lot of snow pileup. Most winters was about a foot on the level. Maybe it will be more this year, but we didn't get a whole lot there compared to Western Montana (Whitefish). Whitefish usually got 2 or 3 feet and it was pretty heavy snow, too. Bozeman winters were mild for me except that it was colder.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

I am truly sorry.............it was not my intent to increase your level of anxiety.

All my life, I have always wanted to be aware of ALL aspects related to a particular situation or set of circumstances that could effect my family or me.
I have been criticized (and justly so) for being so detail oriented and always having to know all related and un-related facets of a given situation.

All I can say is: there were times after our daughter (our only child) graduated college that we didn't agree with some choices and decisions she made. However, we were always there to give our opinions (if they were asked for) and then let her make the final decision. During our 51 years of marriage my wife and I did not always see alike as to the type of advice (if it was asked for) that seemed appropriate (from our respective points of view.)

Some how it all worked out very well. She is now 54, happily married for 15 years, (didn't take the big step until 39), a highly respected teacher for 25 years and the finest daughter a father could have. When my wife passed a few years ago, she was my strength. And the fact that she and I are both cancer surgery survivors, allows us to view life from a very specific point of view..............i.e. "Carpe Diem"

Don't worry mom...........................she'll do just fine!
No apology necessary. I would never criticize you or anyone else for your being detailed or honest.

This is important and honest information; which is why I am happy and grateful to everyone here that tells it like it is.

I may not be happy about some things, like when a Catagory 3 hurricane is heading for Palm Beach Co., FL, but I don't play Osteridge either and stick my head in the sand. I pay attention, and do the best I can to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Guiding your children is the best you can do, but ultimately you have to let them go to live their lives, recognizing sometimes their decisions could have been a little better. I am very proud of all three of my children; and I think my husband and I did a pretty good job. No drugs, no issues with the law; eldest son has been a Firefighter / Paramedic for 14 years and was an Army Medic before that, 2nd child was named Eagle Scout of the year by the VFW a few years ago and graduated from college in August, and you all know about my daughter.

Shannon is level headed and she will do fine. Maybe I will program my cable box so I can't watch the weather channel.

Thank you everyone, I really am grateful for all of you and this site.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
This is a good example of just "stay home" on these days
Gotta let them follow their heart.
Yes indeed.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
I gotta jump in here.

A lot of people are generally making Montana winters sound a lot more scary and worse than they really are. I would be willing to put money that your daughter will say that it is cold but otherwise not as bad as she expected. And I'd also put money that her most serious injury will be sunburn in the summer (a very common problem in Montana) and she'll probably get even more sunburned in Montana next summer than in Florida!

This snowstorm will cause quite a few people to slide off the road because the first snow of the year happens before the ground has frozen. Once it has frozen (which it will by January) then your the roads aren't nearly as slick. Others may argue for the sake of arguing or trying to prove a point, but any tow truck driver knows that the best business of the year is during the first snowstorm of the year.

Bozeman snow is not like eastern US snow that you may be familiar with. Generally I've heard that eastern US snow is heavy and difficult to drive in. Bozeman snow is light and fluffy and generally doesn't get thick. They actually don't use snowplows to clear the sidewalks at MSU, they use hydraulic powered brushes to sweep the snow away. What this means for driving is that people don't get stuck as easily because the snow is not heavy.

Bozeman in general doesn't get a lot of snow pileup. Most winters was about a foot on the level. Maybe it will be more this year, but we didn't get a whole lot there compared to Western Montana (Whitefish). Whitefish usually got 2 or 3 feet and it was pretty heavy snow, too. Bozeman winters were mild for me except that it was colder.
All good points.

I know she will be fine. Thank you for your input.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Does anyone know if vehicle insurance is expensive in MT? Some states like FL have a higher rate than AL. Any idea where MT stands?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM

I am paying a bit more than in PDX, however it is explained to me as the wildlife hazard.
Currently about 600 or so for six months full on the F150.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,499 times
Reedsmit, from all I have read you sound like a close family and it sounds as though you have raised a very wonderful, and respectful daughter, with that said, I am sure she will make you very proud, on the other hand, I can understand the feeling of your children leaving you, mine are still fairly young but non the less, its hard to let go.

I was kinda hopin that we would have some snow days with the kids where they cancel school and we can stay home and play in the snow. So does that mean they don't miss much school since they are able to clean the roads up quicker??

Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Here on my side everyone has to have a "storm house" where they stay if the storm keeps the bus from running. Not many days off for snow here. Not like Portland where is was a national emergency to get one inch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman