U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 03:32 PM

108 posts, read 105,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Yeah, I've seen a lot of 'em offered with a balloon. Funny thing, that.

Another thing with owner financing, sometimes the whole idea is to make a sale to someone you know won't pay. Collect the down payment and a few months more, then they stop paying, you recover ownership in court, rinse and repeat. I knew a guy in SoCal who'd reflipped the same worthless lot five times in about ten years -- made $25k on land that normally you couldn't give away (not buildable, no legal access, no power, etc).
Yep, it's amazing these people put their names on the internet as realtors... You can pretty much get an idea of who NOT to go through as a realtor, just by seeing who owns lots out there and has a license. Just a heads up to people out there in internet land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 PM

7,329 posts, read 12,158,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
Yep, it's amazing these people put their names on the internet as realtors... You can pretty much get an idea of who NOT to go through as a realtor, just by seeing who owns lots out there and has a license. Just a heads up to people out there in internet land!
Yeah, I can think of one or two who basically make a living flipping PPines lots. There are always a good handful coming up for tax sale, and pretty soon they're offered as bargain real estate.

You can always research land ownership (both for a parcel and a person) here:
Montana Cadastral

Old 07-28-2017, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 863 times
Default Anyone know about Wheat Field Road?

I saw some lots on Wheat Field Road (lots 536 and 546 I think) for sale recently. I'd heard that the roads heading up there were destroyed, is that still the case? I know this isn't really investment land but I was curious about it for a cheap remote location to build something on. Just wondering if anyone has any current info about it!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea556 View Post
I saw some lots on Wheat Field Road (lots 536 and 546 I think) for sale recently. I'd heard that the roads heading up there were destroyed, is that still the case? I know this isn't really investment land but I was curious about it for a cheap remote location to build something on. Just wondering if anyone has any current info about it!
536 might be the one that has an existing well (I vaguely recall there's a well on 535 or 536) tho it might be a dry hole; on sat view I see someone's scraped a building pad on 536. There are two cabins (one looks newer and like it might be fulltime-occupied) beyond it on Wheatfield. Lot 546 is between the two houses, toward the end of the road.

For seasonal use this is tolerably easy to get to, provided the road is intact, and they're fairly pretty lots.

Wheatfield is kind of a goat track that comes off Broken Creek, and Broken Creek can get deep mud (note the big ruts), and there's a stretch at the lower end that can wash out in a wet year. But there's a horse facility further up Broken Creek (I've been up that far) and I imagine they struggle through if only because they need to bring in hay. But you'd want a serious 4x4 with good ground clearance. Best thing to do is just go and look for yourself. Those lots along there get flipped all the time which isn't a great sign, but for a hunting camp or seasonal cabin they're probably fine. I'd guess the soil there is deep clay, so you'll want to check it out when it's wet, too. What looks like level buildable ground might sink to China during spring melt.

The only maintained road in that stretch is Pondersosa, and between Juniper and Tagalong it can get soft. If you want Broken Creek or Wheatfield maintained, you'll have to do it yourself, and the first thing I'd recommend is a lot of big rocks to build a base (put 9ga. chainlink under 'em to keep 'em from disappearing into the mud). Road mix will just sink.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM

Forgot to mention, the westernmost lots on Wheatfield might be in range of an electrical drop without breaking the bank; there's power to a house that's a couple lots to the NW on the next goat track to the north.

Also, an old-fashioned alternative to trying to gravel in a soft road is the corrugated lumber approach -- just lay tree trunks or other timber across the road, side by side, all the way from point A to point B. Basically a RR track without the rails.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 863 times
Thank you for such a quick response. Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman