U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Tell me the lot number and I'll look it up.

You WILL want to decide where to build during the spring, during the worst wet weather, because it can be seriously non-obvious where you'll sink to China (even on hills)... how much gravel you'll need to bring in for a driveway may decide that for you. The so-called soil is deep clay silt and gets very muddy at the least excuse, but it dries out so fast that just a few days later you can't tell it was flooded. And some of the lots down in the central flat area do sheet-flood in wet weather.

Since the HOA fell apart the non-county roads are not maintained, and some are real soft. (And the grader owned by the HOA kinda got embezzled away...) Clarkston Road is county, tho, and far as I've been up it past the pavement (not real far as my dually detests washboards), it's pretty solid.

When I moved back to MT, I wound up renting out here in Pizzy Pines, in the western flats, so I'm getting to experience it firsthand. So far no rattlesnakes which is kinda surprising, cuz I've never seen anywhere with the concentration of rattlers I tripped over a few miles away at Trident! We do have at least two wolves in the neighborhood, tho, and various other wildlife.
Do you ever get up around tract 360? Lone wolf trail and pole gulch road area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,154,987 times
I know where it is on the map -- that's WAAAAAAAAAY back at the very SE corner of the eastern part -- about 8 miles from pavement, and up and over a steep ridge at the end. Pole Gulch is a pretty good gravel road where it departs from Clarkston Road, and looks decent on the sat view til it makes that switchback over the ridge... going over to Lone Wolf looks like it might be a goat track.

Haven't been back there myself, from this side, anyway. I've been all over on the Nixon Gulch side of the hills, about a thousand years ago.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,172 times
Default Thanks

What kind of wild life would be up that far? Is the snow pack up in that area heavy in the winter as well? Sorry so many questions lol

Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 AM

Every sort of wildlife. Guy I know up at the north end says they get bears in the yard. Deer and elk all over, dunno if moose go over that far but there are some by the river. There is at least one wolf on this side of the river too. And a few coyotes and bobcats. Probably no rattlers up that high, tho we had one here a few days ago (never found it but had a dog get bit). Birds and birds and more birds.

These hills don't usually get a huge amount of snow, and you can't really point at snowpack as such (cuz often it melts off entirely even in midwinter) but sheltered areas, like where the road passes under or between the trees or behind a hill or along a rail fence, those can drift in pretty good, and once it melts those spots can be muddy even when the rest of the road is solid. I've noticed storms tend to dump over that way, so parts may get pretty buried.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmvrmc View Post
Do you ever get up around tract 360? Lone wolf trail and pole gulch road area.
I see that's one of Dianne James' lots. She's still got it listed.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,670 times
thinking of buying 20 acre lot on east side just to get away to 1/2 months a year, maybe late spring and middle August through September. any advice for east side would be appreciated. looking to build cabin and listen for some bugling and catch some wildlife.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM

Which lot are you looking at? Most of 'em are prolly just fine for a getaway cabin, but I'd advise visiting the lot before you buy.

Undeveloped lots are still not selling til the price hits $19,000 for 10 acres, and sometimes not then, especially on the east side.

Our realtor friend who dropped by a while back is trying to get the Pizzy Pines HOA started up again, cuz not having any road maintenance is impacting his ability to churn property up here.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,882 times
I recently bought a 10 acre lot in Ponderosa Pines on the west side near the river. It's about 2.5 miles off of the end of the paved portion of Clarkston Rd. The fact that there was already a well on it was a plus for me.

I am on the fence about a HOA. I may be OK with it if it was primarily for just road maintenance. But I don't want a HOA that is so intrusive that it wants to enforce what kind of toilet paper you can use in your house.

Any ideas on what he envisions the HOA handling?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:09 AM

What a HOA would do is enforce existing covenants -- which are fairly loose, but what's allowed is sometimes a matter of someone else's opinion.

The problem with a HOA is that anyone can sue you for noncompliance, and the HOA can put a lien on your property if you don't pay up.

You can get together with your neighbors on your side road and form your own road maintenance association without having a HOA, ya know. That's probably the most practical as then your road gets what it needs when it needs it, not what the HOA sees fit to do (and on the less-populated roads, the late PPines HOA apparently never saw fit to do anything).

Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,882 times
Yeah, I heard there were major issues with Ponderosa Pines back in the day. Especially, when that original developer was involved. I think over time (could be a while), the land will start appreciating more out there. At least the nicer lots, anyway.

It would be nice, however, to get some road maintenance out there. There are parts of Crystal Mountain Rd. that can bust up a vehicle in short order.

With Ponderosa Pines, you either love it or hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman