Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times

Advertisements

Our Friends are looking Melbourne and are here in town..Anyway, They are looking to rent for a little while...They Need a really good High School..Is there any part of Melbourne they should stay away from? Their oldest will be in College here somewhere...

thanks for the input as Id love to get back to them while they are here this week!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,236 times
The best high school in Melbourne is West Shore. It was ranked one of the top 50 high schools in the US.
It operates on an application/lottery system so getting in can be difficult. You might check out nearby Satellite Beach High School. It has a very good reputation and is a good place to live also.
Satellite High School (http://scorpnet.brevard.k12.fl.us/aboutus.htm - broken link)

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM

thank you Nice I will pass along this info...is Satellite HS in Melbourne?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,627,457 times
No, it's in Satellite Beach. But that's not too far from Melbourne.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 AM

I c that West Melbourne Jr/Senior School...It doesnt say anywhere that its a lottery to get in....they want to stay in Melbourne only...thanks for the info

Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,236 times
Satellite Beach a whopping 3 to 5 miles away. They should consider it, Melbourne isn't that prestigious.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 PM

115 posts, read 319,191 times
Hello!
As for which parts of Melbourne to stay away from...
- Anywhere near University Blvd.....most importantly.
- Areas right off Wickham Rd., btwn 192 northward to Lake Washington Blvd. Northward from Lake Wash Rd. gets much nicer. Try avoiding Sarno and Eau Gallie Rds (not including beachside Eau Gallie Blvd.)
- Nothing right off of US-1.

As for schools, in my opinion, Melbourne High and Palm Bay High (ironically located in Melbourne) are pretty decent schools. Nothing fancy though. Westshore Middle/High School is a very good school with top academics in the area. Eau Gallie High is alright...just all right in my opinion. Also try checking out Viera High school...its a newer school and the Viera area in general is both nice and up-and-coming. Living in Viera is something your friends might want to look into. Satellite High is a pretty decent school too, although your friends will have to live beachside.

http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/schools/pdf/High%20School%20Boundaries.pdf (broken link)
(Brevard County High School Boundries map)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 22,765 times
Since you only asked about Melbourne, there are 4 possibilities:
Melbourne High School
Palm Bay High School
Eau Galligh High School
West Shore Jr/Sr. High School.

I went to EG and my husband went to Mel High. We both think he recieved the better HS experience than I did.
All of the schools have a diverse population. PBH and EGH are known for some students from poorer backgrounds, and at EG there is a daycare program for pregnant students to be able to finish school. They dont encourage pregnancy, but while I was there I saw at least 5 students preg. at the same time. . Not my ideal place to send my own kids, yanno?
Mel high and PB high have some good academic programs to put students on an accelerated course towards their vocational studies. I have a family member who went to PBH and was part of the student nursing program.. when she graduated HS she wa able to attend the community college (Brevard CC) and get right into the allied health program, which normally has a lengthy wait.

Areas to stay away from in melbourne:
Definitely University Blvd. This area is riddled with drive-bys, high crime and prostitution. Unfortunately, there is a fine line, as it is the same road that Florida Institute of Technology is on! FIT is on the West side of Babcock though, while the bad side of University is on the East side of babcock. The neighborhood around / behind FIT and off of W. University is actually a nice area, although older. Some people refer to this as "going to melbourne" or "the hood".

Avoid an area off of US1 (Harbor City Blvd.) where there is a flashing yellow light, the street is called Masterson. The neighborhood is Booker T Washington Neighborhood. It is literally a crack town. I once got lost down here via a wrong turn, and while making a 3 point turn to get out was approached by 3 people trying to sell a different drug to me! This area is also accesible from Aurora Road. Locals call it "the bottoms".

Areas off of Post road in melbourne are pretty run down.

Otherwise, most of melbourne is older and the homes show their age throughout the city. Only in deed restricted subdivisions will you find the nicer show homes.

also, in west melbourne, dont go near hollywood blvd because this road has the worst rush hour traffic (people living on this road cannot get out of their driveways during rush hour).

Old 07-07-2010, 02:27 PM

25 posts, read 93,216 times
Any body have info about satellite beach area. I am a single male traveling salesman and am home on weekends only. I would like to find a small studio or 1 bedroom apartment on the beach of a1a.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County