Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,652 times

Advertisements

Hi there - My fiancee and I are considering buying a house in Palm Bay. I am from Brevard County originally, but more north/central. We currently live in Vero Beach. What is Palm Bay really like? We both have jobs, mine in Melbourne and his in Sebastian. Palm Bay is in the middle and has cheaper housing than surrounding areas. We are looking in the NW quadrant near Jupiter/Eldron.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 04:27 AM

115 posts, read 318,557 times
Hello!

Palm Bay is, imo, pretty decent. Low crime, very little traffic, decent choices of restaurants, and pretty quaint. Great if you already have a job. It's one of those cities where everything closes around 9pm. Almost everyone travels to Melbourne regularly for shopping and entertainment. Try making the drive from a prospective house to Melbourne and get a feel for how long it takes, because it will be a drive you will undoubtedly will make pretty often.

I have a few friends who own homes in NW Palm Bay, and they really like it. Having lived in Brevard Co. before, you know all about hurricanes and such. Just make sure you have the roof of any potential house inspected before you buy it, if you can. Back in the 2004 crazy hurricane season a few of out of state roofing companies came it and did horrible jobs on the roofs of some people. My friend just brought his house last year and had to replace his whole roof because the tiles were laid upside down! The tiles themselves were fine just laid on the wrong way. It cost him a fortune to fix a problem that could have easily never have happened if the roofers were more careful a few years prior.

Just make sure you do some research about neighborhoods. The one you suggested, around Jupiter and Eldron is nice. Not the newest of homes, but they are still nice, and have some character. Also, Palm Bay tends to really flood in some areas during bad storms or tropical systems. Before you purchase a home, make sure that street has adequate draining, or that your home of choice is on a ramp/hill a few feet up.

One final note, just a bit of advice, Eldron isn't the kind of road one should speed on...I've drove by and seen many of car getting a speeding ticket.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 AM

3,975 posts, read 8,136,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving57 View Post
Hi there - My fiancee and I are considering buying a house in Palm Bay. I am from Brevard County originally, but more north/central. We currently live in Vero Beach. What is Palm Bay really like? We both have jobs, mine in Melbourne and his in Sebastian. Palm Bay is in the middle and has cheaper housing than surrounding areas. We are looking in the NW quadrant near Jupiter/Eldron.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Do Jupiter and Eldron intersect anywhere in the NW section? I am thinking Jupiter and Eldron is where Turner Elem and Stone Jr high is located. Eldron does go North of Malabar Rd so it could have a NE address but it ends at Americana doesn't it? Jupiter curves and goes North in the NW sector but Eldron is not over there. We bought a house off Jupiter/Eldron but ours is in the SE Sector. Our neighborhood has some homes built in the late 1980s and 90s and then quite a few built in 2002-2006 which look like they might be built by Adams homes because our sons model is in the area and his was built in 2006 only closer to the "donut hole" if you are long time Palm Bayers and remember where that was.

OP What streets are you looking at a house on?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:15 AM

What do I think of Palm Bay? Good caring people live here. Good schools, good teachers, good football teams. Not a lot of shopping but that is coming. City is spread out with over 90 square miles of streets so can take 15-30 minutes to get anywhere within the city. Some streets in total disrepair so look on streets where they have repaved from the 60s.
Look for areas with city water and if you can find it with city sewer. Well water is horrible on the fixtures, some tastes horrible, and all need an expensive filtering system. Our water heater in our house built in 2006 had to be replaced this year already. No matter how well you clean, the toilets start to turn orange in the tank and even the bottom of the seats get a crusty orange. It costs about $10,000 to add both and then you need to have a plumber get it from street to house which cost us another $500 but for us we didn't bat an eye when it became available.

Many neighborhoods don't have sidewalks and we don't have a lot of street lights in some areas of town. We actually enjoy the lack of streetlights because man can you see all the stars at night, but makes it hard to find streets at night. Most lots are a quarter acre compared to some areas where the houses practically touch and you might have more empty lots on your street than developed which is nice. We see a lot of raccoons, some deer, and even a few bobcats in our neighborhood.

Palm Bay has history of forrest fires which have damaged and destroyed homes over the years. Last major fire was arson and had all of us here a little scared as the flames spread.
We also have had a mass murder, an elephant go wild at a circus in town, some pretty widespread flooding, and some hurricanes impact the town. Just kind of a normal town for Florida.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:19 AM

263 posts, read 888,200 times
Rab, you are right about the Jupiter / Eldron streets intersecting etc. We live off Americana and I work across from those schools. The neighborhood is ok, quiet and not too trashy looking, but I do wish there were more sidewalks. We would buy a house in Palm Bay ourselves, but I want to be a smidge closer to the water. Otherwise I have no complaints about this town. People seem involved in their kids lives and I have not encountered any major crime. There are quite a fews places to shop within 10 minutes off my house, the locals libraries are great, and there is always a free activity we can take part in. Later today we will probably visit the Turkey Creek wildlife sanctuary, in fact. I here it's really nice for nature loveres like ourselves.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
Rab, you are right about the Jupiter / Eldron streets intersecting etc. We live off Americana and I work across from those schools. The neighborhood is ok, quiet and not too trashy looking, but I do wish there were more sidewalks. We would buy a house in Palm Bay ourselves, but I want to be a smidge closer to the water. Otherwise I have no complaints about this town. People seem involved in their kids lives and I have not encountered any major crime. There are quite a fews places to shop within 10 minutes off my house, the locals libraries are great, and there is always a free activity we can take part in. Later today we will probably visit the Turkey Creek wildlife sanctuary, in fact. I here it's really nice for nature loveres like ourselves.
You sound like me about living by the water, but we bought a house off Eldron so actually moving farther from the water than I have lived in 34 years. In 2004 we were on the river almost so the damage and repairs have gotten us further inland than I ever thought I would live. We are way S in our son's house while getting the new house updated and really hate having to plan 30-40 minutes just to get to our favorite beach. I wish the rumors of
a causeway at Malabar, Valkaria, or Grant were really on the planning table, but doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County