Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:17 PM

149 posts, read 700,179 times

Advertisements

HOI is expensive on the barrier islands, but compared to PBC it is nearly 50% less in Brevard. Also, there are companies now offering steeply discounted rates for homes built after 1998 and more if after 2003. According to my realtor, recently an $800k home built in 2003 (CBS construct) got HOI and wind for less than $4k per year. I still have to actually verify this one myself though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,047,634 times
Hm... I probably won't be building a new house. Not unless I get really really lucky and find a rare empty lot or condemned building in the locations I want.

Where is the Cocoa Beach downtown, anyway? I used to drive through Cocoa itself, but I never really visited. Are there any interesting things that go on in Merritt Island or Cocoa?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:01 PM

32 posts, read 183,566 times
Cocoa and Cocoa Beach are two different cities. Cocoa is on the Florida mainland where 520 hits the Indian River. If you cross the Indian River going East toward the ocean on 520, you get to Merritt Island. If you keep going East on 520 and cross yet another river (the Banana River) you get to the barrier island, and are now in the City of Cocoa Beach. (This is where the famous Ron Jon's is.) 520 dead ends in Cocoa Beach. If you turn right or left, you are on the main drag of Cocoa Beach, A1A. If you go North on A1A, you will go to the city of Cape Canaveral. If you go South on A1A, you will head toward downtown Cocoa Beach. "Downtown" Cocoa Beach is about 2 miles south where A1A splits. The intersection of Minuteman Causeway and A1A is where City Hall is located. Juice and Java is one block north of here and is a good coffee place.

As to what to do in CB or Merritt Island, it depends on what you like. There is always the beach, surfing, fishing, kayaking and nature. Cocoa Beach also has a skate park and dog park. Shopping is somewhat better in Merritt Island, where the mall is. Movies are also at Merritt Island's mall. Cocoa has Cocoa Village, which has cute shops and restaurants and some nightime activites. Better shopping is in Melbourne and Viera.

In short, if you are looking for high-end shopping and a wealth of wild upscale nightclubs, (which does not seem to be what you want from your post )you will not find much of that here.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I used to drive through Cocoa when I was picking up visitors from the airport or when I visited Orlando.

I don't think I'll be going to many wild nightclubs (getting enough of that here in LA) but my wife and I might make the occasional trip to O-town for that. Would you say that the Beeline is dangerous on the weekends late at night? I'm usually the designated when we go out, but not everyone is so prudent, so I don't want to put our lives in danger if that highway is too hazardous due to other drunk drivers. I don't imagine that there are any late-night busses or trams to Orlando from CCB, are there?

I was thinking more cute little shops for the wifey when I need to make up for spending too much time in the water when there's a good swell running.

Coffee places, juice places all sound good. Can you recommend any good breakfast places for a weekday in CCB?

Thanks for all the info. The more I hear, the more I'm convinced that I left paradise behind when I moved away.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 PM

134 posts, read 437,878 times
Brevard County was home to be for nearly half of my life, so I will always have a special place in my heart for that place.

I thought the beach towns in Brevard were very laid back. Although not as pretty as the panhandle's white sand, there's more to do in Brevard than in Panama City or Destin.

Most of our weekends consisted of shopping at either the Merritt Island or Melbourne Sq. Mall and heading down to the beach for the whole day, usually down to Satellite Beach. Sometimes we would venture up to Playalinda near Titusville, but were wise enough not to go the "bare" end.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:21 PM

LOL, I surfed Playlinda once in the winter when the shuttle was on the pad like a half-mile away. It was totally deserted that day. Trippy.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,076 times
Default sad to inform

Sponger;

Cocoa Beach is no more. Dating to mid-1950's, I moved near Sebastian Inlet post $30 million beach re-nourishment of Central Brevard. Beach is now construction site quality...plant life to shoreline, shellie not sugary sand, enormous depth down to water (no flat, read Piper Cub fly-in during 50's, beach). South of Melbourne Beach also fake sand, but trucked not pumped from off-shore (better).
Though different animal, after Francis and Jeanne and just whole different type Floridian, the Fort Pierce area beaches offer tremendous bang for buck and astonishingly uncrowded. If looking for major kick to investment...

Not realtor/no financial interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County